Hello from Upstate, NY - Advice Wanted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Hello from Upstate, NY - Advice Wanted

Hi to all. I'm new to this forum and need some advice. For the past 5 years I've been shooting weddings, special events, and a few corporate jobs with my VX2000/XLR adapter. I have a potential client that may need video in HD and I'm looking for suggestions for a HD camcorder. With the advent of the DTV conversion next month, I'm thinking it may be necessary to upgrade to HD. I've been very pleased with my VX2k and like Sony products in general. What would be a good Sony camcorder to buy to make the transition to HD video?
Larry Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Burwell View Post
Hi to all. I'm new to this forum and need some advice. For the past 5 years I've been shooting weddings, special events, and a few corporate jobs with my VX2000/XLR adapter. I have a potential client that may need video in HD and I'm looking for suggestions for a HD camcorder. With the advent of the DTV conversion next month, I'm thinking it may be necessary to upgrade to HD. I've been very pleased with my VX2k and like Sony products in general. What would be a good Sony camcorder to buy to make the transition to HD video?
I'm in the same boat. But my customers still do not need HD format. They ask about it, but when I ask them about Blue-Ray player they say "none". That's when I explain them that their DVD's will look the same (almost) if recorded on SD or HD cameras.

But want to upgrade the equipment anyway - my VX2k1's are almost 4 yrs old and I wish to be able to produce more film-like videos. My choice would be FX1000 - check out its section - multiple comparisons between FX1K and VX2K.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The FX1000 is a great recommendation, but if you're put off by either the cost or its size and ergonomics, you could also consider the FX7, which in my opinion is the best bang for the buck in the HDV arena. Its shape, size and form factor are nearly identical to the VX2000 (I even use my VX2K rain slicker on my FX7 and it almost fits) and the picture is generally stunning, especially in good light.

But the FX1000 will perform much better in low light than the FX7, almost as good as your VX. I've personally been very happy with my FX7's low-light performance, but there are others here who -- ahem -- aren't.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
The FX1000 is a great recommendation, but if you're put off by either the cost or its size and ergonomics, you could also consider the FX7, which in my opinion is the best bang for the buck in the HDV arena. Its shape, size and form factor are nearly identical to the VX2000 (I even use my VX2K rain slicker on my FX7 and it almost fits) and the picture is generally stunning, especially in good light.

But the FX1000 will perform much better in low light than the FX7, almost as good as your VX. I've personally been very happy with my FX7's low-light performance, but there are others here who -- ahem -- aren't.
This is my biggest concern. Will the FX7 perform well at a wedding or any indoor event with ambient lighting? This is where my VX2k shines.
Larry Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Burwell View Post
This is my biggest concern. Will the FX7 perform well at a wedding or any indoor event with ambient lighting? This is where my VX2k shines.
Simply? No. FX7 need more light then VX to achieve the same results. So far only FX1K managed to match the preformance of VX in low light in this price range. Many ppl are switching from FX7 to 1K because of the low light performance.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
Simply? No. FX7 need more light then VX to achieve the same results. So far only FX1K managed to match the preformance of VX in low light in this price range. Many ppl are switching from FX7 to 1K because of the low light performance.
Thanks for the input. It looks like there's a FX1K in my future!
Larry Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood