Hello From the Nations Capital (well Canada's capital - Ottawa) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 12th, 2002, 07:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Hello From the Nations Capital (well Canada's capital - Ottawa)

I'd have waited a little longer before introducing myself, but the courteous thing on this site seems to be to do it at the earliest possible time. I'm new to this topic, and since I like to know a little something before starting out I'm forcing myself into a 9 month learning stage (before buying anything more than the Hi-8 camera I own) - I have until the fall before phase II will start.

I'm reading a lot, checking out all the reviews, monitoring websites...in the hope that I can get started on the right foot. I know what I want to do, a handful of shorts followed by a something longer. I guess I'd be the technical half of a partnership I have with someone who is much more artistic/creative than I.

I'm constantly amazed by the quality and character of people posting here. The common point seems to be a love for the topic as opposed to a desire to exhibit ones knowledge for the sake of recognition (something I see a lot of on other sites).

I'll most likely sit in the background and absorb for the next few months, but if I can be of help with some tidbit of knowledge I've acquired in my learning process, I'll be happy to share it. Sorry to say I won't be adding any hands on expertise for some time to come!

Best Regards,
Old April 12th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

James,

Welcome aboard! Thank you for posting a bit about
yourself. This is the tendency here on this board a bit, especially
if you are going to post. We do not know ofcourse who is also
reading.

Deciding which thing to buy can be a very difficult thing. Took
me 1 - 2 months to figure it out. My main piece of advice is to
try before you buy (if possible). Hold the cameras in your own
hands! Then you can feel yourself how front-heavy the XL1s
is for you. Thats always better than relying on other peoples
"description" of something.

I wish you luck with your decision and future projects!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #3
Wrangler

It took me 3 years to work out the right camera, and to get my finances in place. When I first started looking the XL1 (Camera which I went for in the end) was about £3200 and then I finally 'bit the bullet' and purchased the camera for just over £2000, later was I to find out that the XL1s would be realised in the same summer.

Welcome to the board and I hope you find many useful tips, to aid in your decision.

All the best,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:32 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks for the replies. Hopefully by this fall Canon will have released/made available whatever it is that's pushing them to offer higher and higher rebates on the Gl-1 (Gl-2 or something else?). I've got a feeling that Chris H. knows more about this than he's said - but I understand non-disclosure... If Sony moves on and does the same with the TRV950, although I’m not sure that would fit the bill, but a nice stable playing field would certainly make the decision making process easier.

I've handled an Xl-1 recently - it seemed very nice. Chris H. posted something in another string recently about putting 100% of your budget into the camera and having nothing else for accessories might not be best. Buying the Xl-1s might put me in that position. I'll have to look at the merit of an excellent camera vs. a great camera and some other good gear.

All advice and humble opinions are appreciated...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood