hello from the Big O (Osaka, Japan) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 12th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #1
ChorizoSmells

hello from the Big O (Osaka, Japan)

To sound like a broken record, I'm also from Texas (El Paso) and have been out here in Osaka for the last 11 years. A friend was running the video monitors(video toaster with hi-8 and vhs decks) in a big nightclub here and got me into video helping him out filming fashion shows and other club events. Started out with a VX-1, then a VX-1000 and now for the last year and a half with a Canon XL-1. I just started doing video full time last May, before that it was part time when ever I had the chance since I worked full time at a japanese company.

A lof of stuff I shot was of my friends events - DJ parties, fashion, dance(butoh, traditional japanese and a sort of modern dance style with video projections, robots, noise musicians and anarchy thrown into the mix).

Also been shooting a lot of japanese underground bands and making promotional videos of different club events - gothic, tattoo/piercing, bondage, club openings, hair/makeup shows, kimonos shows.)

My steady income comes from weddings, I shoot them for a big wedding company here. In the middle of downtown Osaka (Namba area) on the rooftop garden they have weddings, a very nice setting, nice for Japan that is. I've shot some at other locations and have seen those companies video guys and they all use Betacams. Haven't seen any other Xl-1's.

Thanks for having this site, I'm learning a lot these last few days since I first checked it out. Getting hooked, been logging on when I get up and before I go to bed, right now it's 4am, just got back from a club, got to stop reading for now and get some sleep, look forward to talking with people and exchanging information. Take it easy.
Old April 12th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Welcome aboard. Great name, although I imagine chorizo is a little hard to find in Japan, especially the Tex-Mex variety. (Chorizo sushi?) This is a great bunch on these boards, and you'll have a lot of fun, while at the same time picking up useful tips from some pretty heavy hitters.

Cheers
Old April 13th, 2002, 04:04 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Rik,

Welcome aboard! It sounds like your XL1 is getting quite a
workout in your hands! You'll find a board full of information
here (as you have already discovered). I also check these
boards at least twice a day if possible. Otherwise there are
two much new posts anyway. There are also a couple of
people from your region here.

See you around!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Trustee

Sure are Rik,

If you find yourself in Tokyo/Yokohama drop me or John Locke a line, we're always keen for a beer and a chin wag
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:18 AM   #5
ChorizoSmells

thanks for the welcome guys,
Adrian, I sent an email to John a couple of days ago, look forward to heading up there, I was up there last December in Shibuya for one night shooting a corset fashion show, and I'll be up there this summer. Here is a link to a friend's website, did some videos of his events here in Osaka, www.houseproasia.com

Still haven't mastered putting up web video so excuse the bad quality.

If you can get a hold of the January issue of JapanZine(www.japan-zine.com), there are photos from one of the events and there is a photo of me shooting with the XL-1.

Have you seen www.tokyodv.com some interesting stuff on there.

If you or John ever come down south, I'll buy the first round.
Old April 15th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Rik,

Once John gets here and gets himself sorted, we'll try to out togeather some sort of DV group. I know a couple of others who are interested so we'll keep you up to daye on whats happening. Good to have someone from another part of Japan to spread things out a bit.
Old May 10th, 2002, 02:55 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've been meaning to tell you, Rik...I crack up every time I see your nickname, "chorizosmells" BUT I've gotta admit...I think it smells good! I luuv chorizo!

I grew up in Texas...and chorizo and eggs was my standard breakfast. Guess you, me, and Adrian better find a place in Tokyo or Osaka that can serve up a genuine Mexican meal (or Tex-Mex, New-Mex, or Cal-Mex). That alone would be worth the move.
Old May 10th, 2002, 10:23 AM   #8
ChorizoSmells

John,
I know what you mean about chorizo, I love it also, haven't had it in 4 years. we had some spanish chorizo in March when we went there but it's not the same, theirs is really a sausage. I actually got the name from my dad, he was a poet and one of his books was called "HechizoSpells". He would jokingly call it "ChorizoSmells" so and I ended up using it as my moniker when I shoot video. Plus being a Chicano from Texas also ties in with the name.

One day I'll freeze some and bring it with me, a friend did that with Tamales, froze a bunch of them and he had a party in Kobe and I ate about 13 of them, they came from a place in East L.A., the best Tamales in L.A. It's hard to find good Mexican food here, let me know if there is a good place in Tokyo. Right now I'm trying to make it up there to Tokyo the weekend of June 15th.

I'll send you guys an email when I know for sure.
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #9
Trustee

That'd be great Rik, looking forward to it.
Old May 29th, 2002, 10:05 AM   #10
ChorizoSmells

Adrian,
I'll up there sunday, june 16th, are you guys free that night to get together? let me know. Actually get there saturday morning but I'll be free sunday afternoon/night. Look forward to hanging out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood