Taking the next step at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:16 PM   #1
JackBlack88

Taking the next step

I'm a highschool student who enjoys making short videos in my spare time. Last year I purchased a GL1 and have been having a great time making videos with my friends. I've saved up my money and am now looking at seriously updating my video quality. I currently have a great tripod and glidecam pro and edit on my 800mhz gateway with adobe premiere 6.0. I use no special lighting tools and just the built in microphone. I want to put my money towards the best possible purchase for my video creation system. I don't know whether to spend money on computer upgrades anf more software, like after affects, to focus on the actual shot by buying high-quality lenses and lighting equipment, to buy a good audio capture system, or dip into each of these areas. Basically what I'm asking, is what would you buy next if you were planning on shooting a movie over the summer with a crew of six, large cast, and various locations and all you had was a GL1, sturdy tripod, and basic premiere 6 editing, what would you spend approx. $4000 on to make your film look its best. I know it depends on what you are actually shooting and personal preference, but I'm asking this question in a general sense. I hope to involved in the film business in the future and am putting all my resources into film equpiment so I will be buying more stuff within a year or two.

I apologize if reading this wasted your time, but would definetly appreciate any advice you are willing to give.

Thanks in Advance, Jeff Fullmer
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

There is an old saying- The better you start, the better your finish will be. The better quality audio/video, the easier your time will be when you edit. Of course, you'll spend lots of hours editing, but it beats having to try and correct the color or sound on top of it all.

Look into lights, reflecters, filters, mics, and a good audio recorder. Learn how to control your shots using these, and you can pull off better moods and details.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 10:53 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Jeff!

The Capt has some good ideas for rounding-out your gear. In my observation lighting and sound quality provide some of the strongest professional values to a movie.

But well-planned framing and carefully choreographed frame/camera movement also provide strong professional values. I'd recommend spending a great deal of time refining your script and, once that's done, planning every shot. It's easy to get swept-up by the consumerism of videography. There always seems to be one more thing we need. But spending more time on spending than on your story will certainly take its toll on the final product. Perhaps the best investment you can make is on some good-quality books.

Good luck with your project, Jeff.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

That's very true Ken. I hadn't thought about the books. The bottom line is, learn to use the Force... I mean the camera <g>

For $4000, you should have more than enough to get lights and mics, if you don't go nuts and buy the biggest name. Shop ebay carefully, as you can find great deals on slightly used equipment and books. Once a month, go to your local Barnes and Noble, have a Capuccino, and read DV magazine or Computor Videomaker. These two magazines have helped me.

And, of course, keep coming back to DVinfo for almost live help to your questions!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Books?

So, what are the top-3 in cinematography books? I mean for actual filmmaking, not the tech behaind it (we have this place for that!).
What I would be most interested in is directing, framing, lighting. Any pointers to which books would be v helpful!

Thanks,

Kai.
Kai Leibrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #6
ChipE_MrDVD

Education

Just picking up where Ken and Capt left off...

Education is a much better way to spend your money than on gear and gimmicky software. Based on what you've posted, you have more technology than most filmmakers had until around 1980. Sure you're not shooting film, but it's all about how you tell the story, not what kind of pen you use.

The nice thing about education is, it's always with you.
You can't lose it. It can't be stolen. The bank can't take it back.

That being said, I'd suggest that before you start your production, take a filmmaking class. DV Creators and others offer great classes on Digital Video techniques.
If you were in Chicago, I'd say stop by Mac University.

As for books, I really like "The Digital Filmmakers Handbook" by Maxie Collier.

Finally, you really SHOULD get a good microphone or two.
I'd suggest at least a lavalier microphone and a nice shotgun microphone and a boom stand. I can't recall if the GL1 has audio level control. A nice portable sound mixer, and a DAT recorder or Mini Disc recorder are nice to have as well.

Unlike computers, software, and cameras...good quality lighting and audio gear will last you forever, as will the investment in your education.

- Chip

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood