Greetings from Canada at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #1
reelimpact

Greetings from Canada

Hello everyone, my name is Geoff Auckland I'm from Yorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada. I've been in this industry for 23 years, (seems like 45 sometimes) so here's my brief background.

first 4-5 years - master control at a TV station. duties everything from switching commercials into programs, tape & delay, produce news etc. equipment - IVC, ACR, and 2", 1", 3/4" , studio cameras the size of a freezer. (you'd have to be pretty old to know anything about this equipment)
then about ten years in a independent production facilities as an editor (linear). most projects betacam, but also some film.
4 years operations manager tv station, then with threat of layoffs to middle management types I moved to a cable facility as production coordinator.
For the last 2 years myself and a partner have been slowly building our own production company while we remain at our full time jobs. We have gathered some equipment (every cent we make goes back into the company except for the odd case of beer and some golf memberships).
We've made some great contacts and know that marketing is the key to getting to the next stage.

anyway enough about me, I look forward to discussing all aspects of DV production with you, and I hope I can be of assistance from time to time.

good day eh!
Old May 5th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome, Geoff! Glad you found us. With your experience I'm sure we'll be hearing from you often...hope so!

A really good friend of mine is from Saskatchewan. I asked him one time how many people live there and he said "Two. But since I'm here in Korea that leaves the other guy back home." So, I guess that's you. ;)

See you on the boards!
Old May 6th, 2002, 01:37 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Geoff! Sounds like you have an interesting
background, glad to have you with us.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 05:02 PM   #4
reelimpact

Hi John and Rob

Actually I think there almost 20 people in our province now, although I heard most of them are moving to Alberta and the rest are on welfare or retired, so I think he meant there are 2 people working :)

Thanks for the welcome!
Old May 11th, 2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Yorkton, eh? Got a good friend near there (Preeceville/Sturgis)...Rick Downs. I used to go to Madge Lake in Duck Mountain (no, not goose mountain, Duck Mountain Provincial Park).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 09:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Welcome aboard Geoff! It sounds like you have a good deal of experience. Novices like me can use all the help we can get. It's great to see the large number of pros on this bulletin board. Best of luck on your venture.
Old May 18th, 2002, 11:54 AM   #7
reelimpact

Hi Frank, I don't know Rick Downs but have spent some time at Madge Lake, Nice Golf Course there. I'll be shooting a Boat Race event there for Speedvision next month.
Thanks for the welcome Phil, anytime I can be of assistance let me know.
Old May 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Rick used to own, Assiniboine Valley Homes. I don't know what he's up to now, still into home construction, I imagine.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood