DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Vancouver (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/2250-hello-vancouver.html)

K. Forman September 2nd, 2003 06:08 AM

Hey Keith...
My swords bigger than your sword :)

Chris Obonsawin September 2nd, 2003 07:30 AM

Hi folks, nice to hear from you all.

My name is First Nations, I have my status card and all, although you wouldn't guess it by looking at me. I'm about 50% native but I have REALLY strong white genes.

For the last 9 years I've been an employment counsellor for youth (particularly high needs, long term welfare recps.) but what I really like to do is write, research and observe.

So I'm changing careers and am going to start making documentaries, science and animal based, maybe the occasional social issue (although as a native I can't think of any social issues that need enlightenment :-)) and training videos (particularly around critical thinking and so on).

I'm not really interested in directing, more in the writing/producing end of things but I recognize that it's silly to make docs and not actually to have made docs.

And that's a little bit about me.

K. Forman September 2nd, 2003 08:35 AM

Hey Chris- It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do. I'm not really familiar with Vancouver, but I have seen beautiful wildlife and nature scenes from Canada in general.

If I'm not mistaking, the wolf population is still having a hard time there too?

Keith Loh September 2nd, 2003 11:25 AM

No, we are exporting wolves.

The population that is under pressure is our Grizzlies. Poachers have taken to killing the bears and taking out their parts for use in Chinese aphrodisiacs (which is a load of crap, obviously).

Chris Obonsawin September 2nd, 2003 06:24 PM

Yeah, there's quite a market in Grizzly parts. As for wolves, the population in the centre and north of the country is large enough that the government is considering a culling operation (which means the hunters think the wolves are competition - whoops did my cynicism show through?)

K. Forman September 2nd, 2003 09:18 PM

People in the States have all but wiped out several species. Send some down this way!

John Locke September 2nd, 2003 09:19 PM

Don't blame it just on the Chinese. Bear paw, bear liver, tiger paw, etc...those "remedies" and "stamina enhancers" are used all over Asia.

Wish I had a nickel for every time someone recommended eating dog or drinking deer antler tea to improve my overall health. Even had an MD recommend dog once. I passed.

But Keith...the medicinal authenticity of these remedies "have all been proven through stringest scientific research." ;) [Message drummed into the heads of the Asian TV-viewing public]

Keith Loh September 2nd, 2003 10:06 PM

Anyway, I think it's barbaric. I believe they linked SARS to the consumption of endangered species as well so I hope there's a lesson in that.

Ronald Lee March 8th, 2004 01:36 AM

Who here is in Vancouver, Canada?

I guess this is the best place to ask this.

I noticed that some of us here are in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

If you are, maybe you can state so here, or email me at eb7g@shaw.ca.

I'm here as well (of course) and am always interested in meeting fellow videographers, possibly to throw some work around as well.

Ron

Keith Loh March 8th, 2004 02:10 AM

I am. Whatsup.

Dylan Couper March 8th, 2004 02:49 AM

Hey.
There's lots of us here. At least 6-10 active members, and probably twice as many more that visit from time to time.

Frank Granovski March 8th, 2004 04:12 AM

I'm in Kits. But I have little free time.

There are a number of Vancouverites in our MX forum.

John Gaspain March 8th, 2004 04:36 AM

HEY! Im Your neigbor here in Seattle!

Is anybody else here going to participate in the Telus Film festival at Whistler on Apr 16?

its a 72 hour shooting contest- looks like fun!

check it out
http://wssf.com

David Stone March 8th, 2004 10:59 AM

I live in Burnaby!

Frank Granovski March 8th, 2004 02:51 PM

I used to live there too, right across the street from Edmonds Station. (I'd never move there again, around Edmonds.) The Dear Lake area is nice, though.