Hello From South Florida - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old December 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #46
New Boot

Hey Everyone! Greetings from Sunny Palm Beach, FL

Hi guys:

just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am looking to start an event videography business in Palm Beach Florida. I do not own any professional equipment, however I am soliciting the forum for their opinion on the following:

1. camera(s): i was thinking about a pair of xl2's. I chose this over the more popular Sony HD FX1 as there are too many cons right now to adopt to HDV, as it is a fairly immature space right now. I cannot see justify the extra expense for high-end NLE gear and monitors/decks for this format at this time. the other reason the xl2 gets my approval is that you can sync the timecode externally using a remote control and free-run timecode, and you cannot sync timecode at this time with the fx1/z1u. imagine having your a/b camera assets on the timeline with little to no adjustment.

2. tripod/suspension: I think the Steadicam mini ($4700) wins hands down. there are too many drawbacks to filming live events with a tripod, namely steps, grass and terrain. i do not want to shoulder the xl2 all day either.

3. mics: your standard shotgun/wireless mic here.

4. NLE: what can i say, i love Vegas. that and a dual xeon dell workstation with serial ata drives is all i need.

Can anyone who is currently in the business of event/wedding videography find any fault with my idea for gear?

I apologize in advance if this question does not fit within this topic. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

John
John Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #47
Major Player

You'll probably get better respons if you post seperate questions in the specific forums.. Though I don't know the steadycam you are refering to, I don't think that you should have either a tripod or a steadycam. A tripod is indeed a very good thing to have and a steady an excellent compliment.
personally I'd get a tripod first and then a steady.. But that's just me..
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #48
Wrangler

Hi John, and welcome to DVinfo. I agree with Alfred that you'll get a better response if you split up your questions as follows:

Wedding Videography http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=72
XL-2 http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=73
Tripods/Suspension http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=42
Microphones http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=53
Vegas http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=54
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #49
New Boot

no problem. i appreciate the links. thanks guys.
John Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #50
Tourist

Hi (From South Florida)

Hi,

My Father & I run a videography business in South Florida (www.AlefVideo.com;The site is currently being updated to include several pages, which will feature demo's and package & pricing information.)

We offer a number of services, in which we shoot & edit Weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Parties, Corporate events, Legal and etc.

I myself am a 20 year old male, majoring in Graphic Design at Florida Atlantic University.

This community will be very useful in meeting those in the business, and especially in obtaining new and valuable information.

Thank You & Warmest Regards,
Stanley
Stanley Sandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM   #51
Trustee

Hi Stanley!

Welcome (or dare I say, Shalom!) I do mostly wedding videos but would like to try a bar/bat mitzah or two. Your company name, "Alef", possibly a reference to the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "Aleph?" :-)

In any case, welcome. You are amongst friends in your field of endeavor.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #52
New Boot

Hey everyone i'm from St. Pete, FL

hey everyone i'm from st. pete, FL and i'm studing my A.S. degree in Digital Video Production im a 2nd year college student of St. Petersburg College so i'm pretty close to finishing...I glad to be apart of the forum
David Desper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #53
Wrangler

Hi David,

As you may have noticed there are lots....and I mean LOTS of folks from Florida here. You're in good company.

Best wishes for your studies and your projects. Welcome!!! :)
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM   #54
New Boot

thanx lorinda i have noticed that while browsing the forum
David Desper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Florida blues again

Just got back from my sons wedding in Boca, missing FL all over again. Drat.
Even Disney was great this time (lots of family from all over country were there).
The rain didn't dampen anything at all.

Have to quit doing this.
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #56
RED Code Chef

Hey, good to hear you made it back! And congrats to your son and his wife.
I sent you an email a couple of days ago, just so you know....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #57
Major Player

Winter Park Florida

Hello :) Long time lurker <-- Join date :eek: I have been reading the forums a lot lately which has a ton of great information and tonight I filmed the Shuttle Launch with my GL2 (XH A1 is in the mail). I am a student and happened to get into video when i was asked to film a soccer game 3 years ago and got hooked. Now I just spend my time trying to get better at a hobby I love :) Nice to meet you all finally!
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #58
Trustee

Hey Josh,

I watched it from my back yard in Clermont.

I was out in Winter Park this morning. One of the local guys is selling out his entire video editing equipment stash. I was too late for the lights, but if you need any VHS decks or other misc equipment, tomorrow (Sunday) is a good day to get some great deals on cables and decks and cameras and software and training DVDs and you name it. Contact me from my web site for more info if you wish.
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #59
Major Player

Dang... that sounds like a good deal but I just spent a lot of money on my new Camera and such :p I should probably resist temptation but I doubt that will happen ;) I have enjoyed the resources on your website for some time now while using premiere as my editing program.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #60
Inner Circle

I'm very jealous Steven. I drove up to Titusville Thursday, early afternoon, got a perfect spot on US 1 right across from the launch pad. Wide open, no obstructions, pulled the motor home in and I was on the roof with my XLH1 when it was canceled with about 5 minutes to go. Boy was I disappointed. I do hope that I get to see one.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood