Greetings from Great Britain, United Kingdom - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #46
New Boot

Following on from the above post:

Bought the 503HDV/525 tripod system from Morris Photography
they have it for £369 incl VAT and delivery - cheapest I could find - say they only have two left
here's the link:
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~158.html
hope this helps someone - will also post in the appropriate section
Vince Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
Niall,

I'm in Chelmsford too! Whereabouts are you and what do you do? I've just been looking for a second cameraman for next Friday, just found one though, but I often need people.
Hi Mike

Sent you a PM/Email :)

Regards

Niall
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

I am a complete newbie to the forum and video. I am based in London and have a Canon XH-A1.

Anyone from nearby?

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi Colin............

Depending on whereabouts in London you are, I guess I used to be.

As I've now escaped, it doesn't really matter where you are, as I'm still too far away, but hey!

I cannot believe the number of Poms that have joined DVinfo since I left the UK (hmm, wonder if there's more to this than meets the eye?).

Welcome to DVinfo.

CS

PS. Whereabouts actually are you, London is one heck of a big place?
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome.

I live in Hounslow. I plan on doing a lot of travel through the EU this summer with an Aussie mate who is coming over. Since I am only new to video I can currently be seen on most of my days off lurking around Richmond, anywhere along the river, or many of the touristy places in London with my A1, madly practicing my skills (or lack thereof).

Col
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Hmm...............

some really great places around London to shoot - my favourite was St Catherines dock/ Tower Bridge area, absolutely stunning on a freezing cold, clear winters morning (and I mean sparrow chirp type morning).

If you're completely new to this "moving image" thing, the Polytechnic of North London, at their Trent Park campus, runs (or ran, at any road) a pretty cool, one week "summer school" intro to video production.

I did it about 6 or 7 years ago and found it really usefull.

They've got some pretty decent gear as well. When I was there they had a complete ex - Beeb VCR editing system and both Avid and (I think) FCP systems to boot.

There may be other places in town offering sommat similar, worth checking out "FloodLight", as the situation may well have improved re courses since I escaped.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Colin - there's no better way of getting better at making films. Shoot, shoot, shoot, and come home and critically appraise what you've caught. Video is such a great teacher, patient, accurate, forgiving, repeatable.

I tell people starting out to 'talk to the mics', that way when they're watching their TV screens later they can hear themselves say things such as, 'This shot on manual iris, shutter and gain, auto focus and white balance, OIS on, hand-held, 100% zebras visible in white shirt', that sort of thing. Have 'display' turned on as well, it's a great help on your TV.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Hello.

I'm in Bristol too, just starting out. Plenty of ideas lined up, though as anxious as I am to get started, I want to do the ideas justice, so I'm holding off until I feel practised enough. Though what's better practice than the real thing, hmm?

I am just making some final purchases...perhaps amusingly, the last* purchase will turn out to be the camera, a Panasonic DVX100BE. The other stuff consists of a Tascan HD-P2 recorder, Rode NTG-2 short shotgun, AKG D230 reporter's mic, and the Oktava MK 012 with the triple capsule package (omni, cardioid, hypercardioid). I've got the Rode 3.2m boom pole and a Beyerdynamic G500 stand to mount them on, though I'd like to get a stand for the longer boom pole to sit on.

Intending on getting the HPRC AMRE 2600W for the camera and a few bits and bobs. Disappointed that there's no equivalent to the Portabrace camera body armour for the DVX100, but I'll at least get a rain cover, though that'll likely only get used in dire emergencies. Oh, and in support matters, I'm about to place an order for the Indicam Pilot sled (I'll get the arm/vest when funds permit, and if gigs seem to require longer steadicam shots), and have pretty much settled on the Vinten Pro-6HDV. I nearly went with the Manfrotto equivalent, but from what I've read, the sticks are better.

So if anyone in Bristol wants to see any of that, they're welcome to. I expect I'll hire it out in certain circumstances, also.

Phil

*Pfff...obviously I mean "last for now".
Phil Bambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #54
Trustee

Hi Phil,nice to hear someone else is from Bristol.
If you wanna get together for any filming then let me know.
Paul.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Hitchin - Herts...

Hi there

New film maker based in Hertfordshire here... in the middle of first feature.

Check out: www.myspace.com/shootthedjfilm

Or

www.stage6.com/user/sonichub

Always looking for 2nd camera people... and sound recordists etc..

Enjoy DVinfo.... it's a great place for free advice.

Sean

JVC GY-DV500 with 19 x Aspheric Lens, SONY VX1000, G5 Mac with Final Cut Studio, and a van load of various stuff cobbled together to make a movie...
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:42 AM   #56
New Boot

Hi guys!

Another newbie to the forum - this time from north of the Border. Sunny Dundee! (Well it is today, anyway!) :)

Have been doing videos of all kinds of things for other people for many years and now want to start earning a bit of cash from it. I've got a couple of ideas I'm working on but they're in the early stages so I'll no doubt be back to pick people's brains from time to time.

I like the idea of people posting their experiences of UK suppliers.

I'm also amazed that this thread started in 2004 and has only really taken off in the last few days! :)

Anyway, good to have so many brits onboard.
Stuart Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #57
Tourist

UK South East Coast

Hi, St Leonards-on-Sea (Hastings),
Anyone from my area?
I am TV PD, 40 years in the biz.
I used to be in Vancouver BC for decades, CBC and freelance.
I just joined DVInfo and learn a lot from it.
Cheers,
Tony
Tony Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Hey, West Country guy here, living near Bath. Glad I looked in this thread, I didn't expect to see many Brits (thanks for starting this thread Gavin).
Regards,
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt View Post
Hey, West Country guy here, living near Bath. Glad I looked in this thread, I didn't expect to see many Brits (thanks for starting this thread Gavin).
And here we are: (sorry if I've missed anyone)

Phil Bambridge
Stuart Burns
Niall Chadwick
Damian Clarke
Alan Dunlop-Walters
Dave Gosley
Tom Hardwick
Vince Hill
Paul Kellett
Rob Lohman
Mike Marriage
Colin McDonald
Peter D. Parker
Colin Reid
Graham Risdon
Ed Smith
Martin D. Smith
Chris Soucy
Gavin Thomas
Sean Vincent
Tony Wade
Andy Wilkinson
John Wyatt
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #60
Major Player

Full time emp / Self emp / part time or leisure only,

What do you do with yours?

Me - part time.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood