Greetings from Great Britain, United Kingdom - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM   #106
New Boot

Hi there

I'm a complete newby to this forum, running a small production company from richmond west london. Still shooting SD DVCam for web based work, but that will change at one point.

Hope yopu are all tickerty - boo and having a productive day!

LOL max :o)
Max Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:35 AM   #107
Trustee

Time travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Coyne View Post
I'm a complete newby to this forum, running a small production company from richmond west london. Still shooting SD DVCam for web based work, but that will change at one point.

Hope yopu are all tickerty - boo and having a productive day!

LOL max :o)
Hello Max and welcome to DVinfo. You've just been added, a couple of posts ago.
? :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM   #108
Trustee

I can't edit any of the previous posts now so I've had to start yet another list of additions. There must be a better way of doing this!

David Braund London
Michael Connor Durham
Alan Craig Warrington
Dave Robinson Conwy Wales
Ian Savage England
Matthew Stokes Fleet

I make it 82 now. I'll post the lot again when we hit the century or possibly before.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; July 3rd, 2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: We're still breeding
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #109
Major Player

The list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
I can't edit any of the previous posts now so I've had to start yet another list of additions. There must be a better way of doing this!

Ian Savage England

I make it 76 now. I'll post the lot again when we hit the century or possibly before.
Hi Colin,
I have added everyone to an Excel list (did it for my own benefit originally) - could this be put on site here with a link to it so that others could add themselves? This way you (or anyone else) would not responsible for continual additions.

It would of course mean that others would be responsible for not messing up the list.
I am guessing that the "Data Privacy Act" somehow prevents this although inclusion in the list would be the responsibility of the body adding their details.

Alternatively - I would bet the search field *Country* could be added to the "Find Members" facility in the "Members List" which makes a whole lot more sense in helping find co-workers, friends and neighbours. Of course those not wishing to show up on that might object......and so on we go....
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM   #110
Major Player

The list

Just did a search using UK in location and 899 came back. A cursory glance showed me that some were UKraine members and no doubt there are going to be others fed back erroneously.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
Hi Colin,
I have added everyone to an Excel list (did it for my own benefit originally) - could this be put on site here with a link to it so that others could add themselves? This way you (or anyone else) would not responsible for continual additions.

It would of course mean that others would be responsible for not messing up the list.
I am guessing that the "Data Privacy Act" somehow prevents this although inclusion in the list would be the responsibility of the body adding their details.

Alternatively - I would bet the search field *Country* could be added to the "Find Members" facility in the "Members List" which makes a whole lot more sense in helping find co-workers, friends and neighbours. Of course those not wishing to show up on that might object......and so on we go....
That's a great idea Dave, or rather two great ideas.
How do we take this forward - bring it to the attention of the wranglers?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #112
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
Just did a search using UK in location and 899 came back. A cursory glance showed me that some were UKraine members and no doubt there are going to be others fed back erroneously.
I suppose there will be others who don't use DVinfo any more. Is there a cut off point for inactivity I wonder? I mean if somebody joined in 2003 and hasn't posted or logged in since would they have been bumped off the list by now?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #113
Major Player

The way around it...

The way around the issue of missing persons presumed gone after long term communications gaps and listing those who don't want to be listed would be to add a facility for those who do. Example;

The folks over here in the UK who do want to be known, be available for a meet one day, be communicable on the phone perhaps for advice or help and possibly even share work load or projects could enter their details in a register for UK based operators who do want to share their details. The fact it is opt in means that no-one is in it without their approval.

It would be simple enough to organise by extracting data from the members database possibly by inclusion of a tick in your profile that says show me in the results of a search for other members in a geographical location - i.e. UK. No tick means you don't show up in the specific search.

I wouldn't worry about getting any attention to this - big brothers will have been watching every move this string makes...If it makes sense to them I would think they'll adopt it for all members / states and locations, after all the forum is here to enable it's members to help each other.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM   #114
Trustee

Excel Brit list

Trying to upload an Excel file with the 85 Brits so far listed. I haven't tried this before so it may not work first time. Thanks to Dave Gosley for suggestions and sharing his list.

Dave, I worked out how to search the members list and like you found the 899 hits. In addition to those from the UKraine, it also brings up folks from MilwaUKee! There are almost certainly other spurious hits if one can work them out. ( It reminds me of the early days of school internet access, when we were puzzled why the town of Sc***horpe had apparently ceased to exist).
Oops, sorry, forgot this is a family show.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DVinfo Brits.xls (35.0 KB, 346 views)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #115
Major Player

Just tried a search on Wales, and came up with 35 members - though some could have been from New South Wales
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #116
Trustee

Totally off topic request

Since it appears we have a fair number of folks operating in London, I thought I would ask this just on the off-chance that someone was able to help. It is a bit of an imposition so I will not be too disappointed if it isn't possible.

My daughter is one of the prizewinners in a Bebo.com/Fanta "want it-win it" competition and in addition to winning an iPod Touch, her photo is to be one of those featured on a big screen in Piccadilly Circus. I don't know which building the screen is on, but as I am writing this I can see it on the web cam http://www.camvista.com/england/lond...illycircus.php

Her photo is to be displayed "from Monday 7th July for a week" according to Bebo.
Here's the cheeky bit. If anyone happens to be passing and has a phone with a camera, it would be great if they could take a picture of the scene as the webcam in Piccadilly Circus does not enough resolution to see much detail.

The mugshot Bebo is to feature is attached. If anyone can help TIA but I know it's a long shot.

The only possible excuse for posting this is that if anyone in London has a compelling need for free footage of any landmark, famous building or scene in the Glasgow/Central Scotland area, I have an XH-A1 and would try to help.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM   #117
Major Player

Damned shame, I was up there filming for two days solid ten days ago - in the Rex cinema just round the corner!! Would have done it just for the heck of it..!
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #118
Trustee

Dod â Chymru Ynghyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
Just tried a search on Wales, and came up with 35 members - though some could have been from New South Wales
(I hope that means "bringing Wales together!")
It's hard to decide who to omit, but leaving aside those those whose "last activity" was several years ago (as well as NSW) I came up with this:

Paul Burgess Brecon Wales
David. G Burt Penymynydd, N Wales
Robin Davies-Rollinson Cardiff Wales
David Dwyer Cardiff Wales
Annie Haycock Pembrokeshire
Clive Haydock Caernarfon Wales
Vince Hill Pembrokeshire Wales
Anthony Howe Wales
Owen Hughes Cwmbran Wales
Harley Jones Cardiff Wales
Steve Phillipps Wales
Chris Powell Mid Wales
Bruce Rawlings Cardiff Wales
Dave Robinson Conwy Wales
Mark Rook Aberystwyth Wales
Tim Ward Aberystwyth Wales
Gwynne Williams Usk Wales

It could well be that some of the others are still viewing DVinfo without logging in.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #119
Trustee

DVinfo Scotland

A similar search on Scotland produced 81 hits. Leaving aside those those whose "last activity" was several years ago:

Paul Black Scotland
Mark Boggis Glasgow Scotland
Alastair Brown Glasgow Scotland
Scott Brown Aberdeen Scotland
Rikki Bruce Glasgow Scotland
Stuart Burns Dundee Scotland
Alex Calderhead Cumbernauld Scotland
Mark Campbell Dundee,Scotland
David Carter Glasgow Scotland
Scott Cassie Peterhead Scotland
James Collinson Glasgow Scotland
Nicole Dolder Edinburgh Scotland
George Duncan Burghead Scotland
Christopher Dunne Edinburgh Scotland
John Estcourt Ayrshire Scotland
Steve Garvie Fife Scotland
Jeff Goddard Perth Scotland
David Graham Glasgow Scotland
Andy Graham Lanark Scotland
Henry Gray Selkirk Scotland
Duncan Grieve Glasgow Scotland
Derek Grogan Larbert Scotland
Roddy Horsfall Glasgow Scotland
Kathleen Little Glasgow Scotland
Peter Mackay Scotland
Scott MacKenzie Glasgow Scotland
Gary Masson Aberdeen Scotland
Colin McCaffery Aberdeenshire Scotland
Colin McDonald Glasgow Scotland
Allen McLaughlin Paisley Scotland
John McPaul Inverclyde Scotland
Stewart Menelaws Scotland
John Millar Scotland
David Miller Edinburgh Scotland
Ross Milligan Scotland
Tom Park Glasgow Scotland
Eric A Robinson Edinburgh Scotland
Martin D. Smith Dundee Scotland
John Steele Glasgow Scotland
Jennie Stenhouse Glasgow Scotland
Martin Trotter Scotland
Lenny Warren Glasgow Scotland
Sandy Watt Glasgow Scotland
Ian Wright Edinburgh Scotland
Keith Yuill Scotland

Of course, not everyone may have used Scotland in their location. I've included some from Edinburgh UK and Glasgow UK but have neglected to search for Auchenshuggle UK or Auchtermuchty UK and the like.

As with the list of DVinfo users located in Wales, it could well be that some of the others not included above are still viewing DVinfo without logging in.
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #120
Major Player

There is at least one other from Wales that seems to have evaded your list - and I only remember him because we happened to meet one evening. And his last post was only a few months ago.

I haven't seen Wales spelt Chymru before - usually it is Cymru (pronounced Cumry for those who are unfamiliar with the Welsh language) and mutating to Gymru depending on the preceding word. I don't speak Welsh, beyond a simple Boreda, and Nosdar (good day and goodnight)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood