What do you do for a living? - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #466
New Boot

Heath,

I work at Digital Juice doing mostly stock video footage work. I have no previous education or training in video, I started out as a set builder, and then learned the work flow as I went and pushed to get involved in production.
Jim Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #467
MPS Digital Studios

Jim,

That's awesome! I did a little work for DJ recently. My good friend Kevin P. McAuliffe also works with them. Great company, great products.

Heath
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #468
Tourist

I'm a professional photographer in the motorcycle industry.
Justin Dawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #469
Major Player

Wow almost 8 years since i started this thread, time flies too quickly and I've realized my time was not very well spent on the things that truely matter to me. I applaud anyone who is following their dreams and doing what they love to do instead of following society's 9-5 grind.

Currently I'm out of work, and may take this opportunity to take out the camera gear and do some travel documenting.... or do some PA work if anyone's working on a project :) (message me if you are!)
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #470
New Boot

Well, for almost 10 years I did I.T. work but recently my job went by way of the down economy so I'm going to give my love of video a go. Been looking for all kinds of video work and I shoot stills as well. With any luck I'll be doing this full time within a year.
Robert Muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:55 AM   #471
Trustee

well this is a bit of a contrast to all you lucky people who get to work in some part of the creative process,
I renovate bathrooms,
smash them out one day, then about a week or 2 later we leave and the client has a big smile and I have a cheque to buy more video gear.
I must say, the manual labour of the day compliments all the non activity of sitting behind a PC.
I dont think I could sit still for 8 hours a day 5days a week.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #472
Tourist

A bit of Me

Hi all, well, I do a bit of a lot of things... I have a 9 - 5 monday to Friday on a community College in the Bronx, NY. I work for the theater department. On weekends is when I come to life. I do low budget Music Videos, Short films, weddings, Sweet 16 and special events. A year ago I bought the Panasonic HVX 200A and started working on my own on weekends doing what I mentioned above. I realized that i don't have to go to Hollywood to have my dream come true so I'm starting it on my own. I like to coolaborate with whoever needs me and brings to me new and exciting projects :::||| I believe we all share the same passion for the Seventh Art ... I'm starting to feel at home already ...lol
Osaliki Sepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #473
Regular Crew

I'm semi retired, but still have to work sporadically to fund my travels. I've done everything from cleaning toilets to digging graves - anything that is not connected to my former career in electronics and IT. Right now my wife and I are caretakers of a very small historic village and precinct. We live on-site and are the entire population - if you don't count the dog. The capital city of our state is 1500 Km (almost 1000 Miles for our US friends) from where we are. The nearest town with a population of more than 20,000 people is 1100 Km away, so you could say that we are isolated.

The job entails looking after a backpacker style accommodation complex (very small - 5 rooms), a small shop, all of the grounds, gardens and buildings, keeping the beaches and river frontage free of litter and talking to tourists. Fishing is mandatory - someone has to keep the tourists informed of what is being caught and where.

I am working hard at turning my amateur videography to pro videography but I can't see myself making a worthwhile living out of it. Just as well it is something that I enjoy immensely.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #474
MPS Digital Studios

Welcome, Russ! We hope you like it at DVI! That sounds like quite the job you have!

Heath
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #475
Regular Crew

Thanks Heath,

I like it here already! Yes, it is a very unique job and you won't be surprised to hear that we get offers all the time to "swap jobs with us". Mind you, another 12 months will be enough and then we'll take two years off and just travel.

Cheers

Russ
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM   #476
MPS Digital Studios

Do you have a website with your videos and photos of where you're living?

heath
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #477
Regular Crew

Hi again Heath,

I don't at the moment, but have been working on a webpage for a while now. Seems to always get put on the back burner! I'm currently writing a script for a short film about Cossack, which my employer has generously offered me time and resources (but not money) to create.

It's not a bad deal though, as they have a Local History Department that has masses of info and photographs that I will be able to access for free. I'll stick it up on Vimeo and/or youtube when it's done.

I might put my very first video of our travels up on the web and then when I finish the next one, I'll post it too - and then people will be able to critique me and tell me whether I'm improving.

Cheers

Russ.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM   #478
MPS Digital Studios

Sounds pretty cool, we're looking forward to it!

Heath
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #479
Regular Crew

Hi I'm Sophie from portobellofilms.co.uk. We shoot modern wedding video, with absolutely no cheesy nonsense. Please check us out a feel free to tell me what you think

Wedding Video Wedding Videos Wedding Videographer
Sophie Bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #480
Inner Circle

Hi, Sophie.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Bucks View Post
for a free feel
Welcome to DVinfo.

The juries still out as to whether or not I'm a dirty old man, but I am a speed reader, and I scanned that line backwards initially.

Picture "Wiley Cyote" screech of brakes, as I re - scanned and got the same result and thought, well, she's game!

Interesting sideline if true.

[I jest, of course, but did have to read that section a couple of times to get the real message.]

Shall check out the web site at leisure.

Once again, welcome and no, we're not all MCP's.

CS

PS:

Forgot to ask, whereabouts in London, I know it very well indeed, lived there off and on for nearly 30 years.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 24th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: ++Update
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood