filmmaker from Houston at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

filmmaker from Houston

Hi, there, I'm going to introduce myself.

I'm a scriptwriter and weblogger from Houston involved with the creative commons movement. I'm relatively new to filmmaking, though I have a strong background in narratives and storytelling.

I'm working on a video documentary (to shoot in September). Also, I'm working on a series of short experimental films, and in a year or two, feature comedies (more along the lines of sitcoms). Everything shot on video (which I have yet to buy).

I go to swamp events around town. I'm still in the learning stage/equipment buying stage. I'm hemming and hawwing between the respectable Panasonic PV-GS400, a 3CCD camera with lots of manual features, but poor low-lighting performance (1200$), and the Sony Sony VX2100 ($2400). I'm self-financing, so I'm very very cost-conscious.

I've seen excellent clips for the GS400 (and you can't beat that price), but might opt for the Sony. The GS400 would be a good camera to learn on, but the vx2100 might be better for weddings. I'll have all this figured out in about a week (it depends more on my budget than anything else).

Anyway, just to make reading this bio worth it, let me say I'm reading a great book that just came out about video production: Digital Video Hacks by Josh Paul (i'm in the middle of a review on it for a technology site).

I run a weblog http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/ . And that's pretty much all you need to know.
Robert Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Robert, and welcome to DVinfo. All of the areas of interest you've mentioned are pretty active topics in various forums on DVinfo -- you'll feel at home here in no time.

I live in the Clear Lake area and am gradually wading further into similar interests, as my busy day job allows. Hoping to arrange a casual meet-n-greet of Houston / SE TX area DVinfo'ers sometime in the not too distant future. Keep in touch!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice to meet you Robert. I live in Spring myself, near 45 and 1960.

I've been working in video in various areas since '97; made three shorts for myself, and worked on a number of commercials, documentaries, and indie feature films. At the moment I've been working on a rodeo sports show called the Roping Show that airs on RHDTV Mondays at 6 p.m., and one of these days when I finally get my script finished I'll be diving back into the filmmaking waters for myself - though lately I've been spending more time writing about films than making them, as I've started working as a film critic and journalist.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey robert...whats up? im sorda in your area. im about 1 hour or so northeast of houston. ive been shooting video for about a year. my weapon of choice (or by default) is the canon xl1s. im a production assistant at a local abc affiliate station in beaumont. and in my spare time i shoot weddings, documentaries, short films, special intrest stuff, rollerblading, live music, web ads, and maybe real estate tours soon...you can check out www.rhythmicproductions.com
thats my company, but its pretty empty right now...still has alot of work to be put into it. i think that Pete has a great idea about a setx meet and greet. im deffinitley down for that....soon i hope. but yeah this board is the best, you'll soon be addicted. hahaha, i know i am.

Last edited by Jared Thomas; July 15th, 2005 at 02:02 PM. Reason: cause i wanna.
Jared Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Hi Robert, and welcome to DVinfo. All of the areas of interest you've mentioned are pretty active topics in various forums on DVinfo -- you'll feel at home here in no time.

I live in the Clear Lake area and am gradually wading further into similar interests, as my busy day job allows. Hoping to arrange a casual meet-n-greet of Houston / SE TX area DVinfo'ers sometime in the not too distant future. Keep in touch!
pretty cool, I'm in Friendswood myself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood