Greetings from the Space Coast! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 14th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Greetings from the Space Coast!

Howdy! My name is Jim and I'm new in town. I've been lurking, reading, and thoroughly enjoying the information available on DVinfo. Wow! What a tremendous resource. A little about myself I guess is in order. I am retired from the Kennedy Space Center after a 30-year stint launching Space Shuttles. The first 10-years of my career was spent in Ground Systems Engineering as a Project Engineer involved in the modification and activation of various facilities throughout the Space Center. In my tenure I've been part of the building and rebuilding of Launch Complex 39 A and 39 B, Orbiter Processing Facilities (OPF) 1, 2, & 3, and the modification of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) Integration cells 1 and 3. For the last 20-years I spent my time as a Project Manager in the Communications Directorate. If it was Audio, Video, Wide-Band Transmission, or Networking we did it at KSC. The last major technological push was to bring KSC into the world of HD Video capture. I'm a former Navy Electronic Warfare Tech and a stroke survivor. There, now you know a little about my past. However, it's my future that brings me to this community of professionals. I have recently begun a little start-up venture called Greenside Up Productions, what it will evolve into is anyone's guess, I certainly don't know, but I'm excited to be on a new journey of discovery. To be honest, starting over at 57-years old is daunting, but I've always just jumped with both feet no matter what I've done in life and this is no exception. Heh, heh!

Thank you all for your unselfish sharing of knowledge and experience, I hope to be smart enough one day to actually contribute to the group, but in the meantime I'll try and keep my mouth shut and listen.

Best regards,

Jim
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Greetings from the Space Coast!

Dear James,

Welcome Aboard!

You have joined a great group of people and a fantasitc resource.

Good Luck with your new venture.

I hope your new adventure is as exciting as your previous one was.
Old October 15th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Welcome James. I remember interviewing at the Cape with Rockwell for a project to upgrade the launch control room's aging Modcomp computers when I was getting out of college. Sounds like you've had all the fun. There's another rocket scientist on DVinfo from Houston: Pete Bauer.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Les...I was the PM for the Communications Group on that project. We stripped the room down to the bare floor, getting rid of all the old cabling (Apollo, etc.). The rats were eating the insulation off of critical and non-system critical cables. Heh, heh! It was a multi-year upgrade, when finished, we gave the Firing Room, and the Launch Team a state of the art Transmission and system connectivity with enough headroom for the years to come.

I did have fun!

J.
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear James,

I used to live in Cape Canaveral.

In the mid 60's I worked for NASA, in Launch Vehicle Operations, Guidance and Control, Flight Control Systems Section (as a trainee).

I am very familiar with the LCC (Launch Control Complex) and the VAB (Vertical Assembly Building).

Later I went to work for Grumman Aircraft Engineering Company, working on the Lunar Module.

It was a lot of fun working on the Apollo program.

It was very thrilling to watch the Saturn V launches, especially when one is as close as anyone could get, about 3.3 miles away.

Last year I got to film a Shuttle Launch from atop the VAB.It brought back a lot of good memories.
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Dan...you got me beat! As a kid growing up on the 'Space Coast' I got to see the last of the Mercury launches, all of the Gemini program, and all of the Apollo program. I then had the honor of being part of the Launch Team on the Shuttle program. My step-father was a Gruman-ite, did you know Jim Foden by any chance? Or, Buzz Brown? Both worked down at the CIF Bldg. during the hey-day of Apollo.

J.
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear James,

When I worked at Grumman, I worked in the Manned Spacecraft Operations Building, later called Operations and Checkout.

At one time, a roommate worked in the CIF (Central Instrumentation Facilty).

I am sorry, but I do not remember those names.
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Dan...no worries, it was a shot in the dark.

J.
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

We're here!

Hi James,
Just wanted to let you know that we have two filmmaking groups here in Brevard. There is the FMPTA (Florida Motion Picture & TV Association), and the newly formed Florida Independent Filmmakers (the latter of which I now serve as President). Both can serve as a good resource as they are peopled with like minded and good folks. The FIF website is here http://floridafilmmakers.shutterfly.com/. Reply if you want me to add you to our email list and keep you in the loop.

And this is the FMPTA website link Florida Motion Picture & Television Association: Space Coast. All the best in your new endeavors.

Eric Emerick
esquared14@mac.com
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Eric...thank you. I've added the link to my favorites. BTW, are you related to Pam?

Jim
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Welcome aboard! I will always regret not being able to see a shuttle launch in person. Lots of great people and advice on here!
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Welcome aboard James. I'm retired Canadian Navy and spent a year in Fort Walton Beach working with some military and EOD folks. Had a chance to see a shuttle launch on a weekend we were there but the ten plus hour drive times two mixed with the possibly of it being delayed (turns out it was) did it in. Also those SEAL types don't take kindly to late arrivals Monday morning.

My second career as well. Love it and DVInfo.
Glen Canning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Eric...thank you. I've added the link to my favorites. BTW, are you related to Pam?

Jim
No relation.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Eric...it it was 'Emick', my mistake.

Glen...howdy 'shipmate', I'm an old salt, too. Those 'Frogmen' can be a testy bunch.

Fair winds and a following sea,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood