Hello from Inola, OK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Hello from Inola, OK

New member here, and very new to videography. Recently aquired a Canon XL1 as a starter camera, so far I like what I've read about it on the net. Have spent the last week or so familiarizing myself with all the features as well as reading about video taping in general. My goal is to be able to capture quality video of weddings, family events and my hunting experiences. Would eventually like to make money at this but we'll see.

JB
Jeff Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hello from Inola, OK

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lot's of good people here. You've got a capable, if somewhat dated, camera and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the basics of shooting. My suggestion is to hook up with some established locals and offer to shoot 2nd camera (or just assist). If you hook up with the right person, you will learn much more in a few sessions that weeks or months of online forum digging. You will also get a sense of what is expected of a professional videographer, and the equipment you'll need. Don't get caught up in buying everything and hoping you make money from it. You'll be broke and looking for work. Rent if you must, or buy piecemeal as the work comes in (re-invest in your budding business). Some equipment is well worth the higher up-front cost (tripod, lights, audio gear). Buy once and cry once (as Doug Jensen is fond of saying).
Get in touch with local wedding coordinators, photographers and facilities when you're ready to venture out solo. There is a lot to learn, but if you love what you're doing, stick with it and see where it takes you.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome aboard, Jeff!

Somewhere around here I have a couple of copies of an XL1 training DVD. Shoot me an email if you want one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
New Boot

Chris, if you can dig that CD up I would love to have a copy. I'll send you my mailing address via email.

Thanks!
Jeff Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lot's of good people here. You've got a capable, if somewhat dated, camera and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the basics of shooting. My suggestion is to hook up with some established locals and offer to shoot 2nd camera (or just assist). If you hook up with the right person, you will learn much more in a few sessions that weeks or months of online forum digging. You will also get a sense of what is expected of a professional videographer, and the equipment you'll need. Don't get caught up in buying everything and hoping you make money from it. You'll be broke and looking for work. Rent if you must, or buy piecemeal as the work comes in (re-invest in your budding business). Some equipment is well worth the higher up-front cost (tripod, lights, audio gear). Buy once and cry once (as Doug Jensen is fond of saying).
Get in touch with local wedding coordinators, photographers and facilities when you're ready to venture out solo. There is a lot to learn, but if you love what you're doing, stick with it and see where it takes you.
All great advice.

While the XL1 is dated; its still a great SD camera (and if you're delivering in DVD then thats actually 100% of all you need). Make sure you put the time in to learn how to shoot your XL in full manual - don't get caught up using it in auto mode. The best way to learn is to practice.

Once you get the hang of the XL in manual mode you will have a good understanding of all the basics you need to know for any other future cameras.

The movie '28 Days Later' was filmed on an XL1! Some day in the future people will collect those XL1's the way people collect 8mm movie cameras today, and put them on their desk as a kind of mechanical artifact. I can't remember another DV camera that looked so futuristic, and felt so ergonomic. They're real works of art, so treat it well.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood