Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, eh! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, eh!

Hey all, I figured I'd go ahead and write a quick post introducing myself.

I'm Aaron McFerran, and yes my name rhymes, I'm from Canada and currently have a well paying job which I do not enjoy nor have any passion for whatsoever: I work in the oil patch.

Recently, I was approached by an old friend about an idea he's came up with for a documentary since he knew I'm fairly capable with very minor video projects, and that I'm quite passionate about them.

The idea is great... beyond great actually. It's very original and is something everyone can relate to and be entertained by. Which is why I'm kinda diving in head first and going "all in" (with a strong consideration to quit my job in the next year or so).

My original plan was to slowly develop a skill in wedding videography and over time become profitable and proficient enough to move into more creative "filmmaking" territory down the road. Then this fell in my lap! So now time is ticking and shooting will start in april (which is when we will go live with marketing) which means I have a bit of time to get all my ducks in a row and do my best to go from beginner/novice videographer (if even that, hah!) to semi-pro filmmaker... I can already tell it's asking a lot of myself but I can't not try.

ANYWAYS, after passing through a few different forums this one has definitely struck my as THE pro-video forum I will want to be spending most of my time at. I'll apologize ahead of time for any 'newbie' threads I create that I should have done a better search on first, I'm sure it's bound to happen (and I think already has)...

Other then that, I'd just like to say this seems like a very highly skilled, helpful, and knowledgeable community and I'm glad I found you!

Oh yes, and what I'm using:

Canon XF300, newly purchased
Canon HG20, purchased a few years ago when I first started playing, probably won't be using it much
1980's Panasonic VHS Camcorder, other details TBD - I've held it once (this is only for the doc I'll be shooting)
late '12 macbook pro - sold my imac in hopes for a new mac pro coming..

things I plan on getting in the coming weeks, or at least looking into
shotgun mic
steadicam
tripod
lots and lots of various storage
VHS capturing equip
camera light
GoPro (planning on purchasing to help with alternate angles since it will mainly be only myself shooting at a time)
Aaron J. McFerran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, eh!

Hi Aaron,
You are one ambitious guy! Best of luck on the project. I've been prepping to leave my coporate gig for the last year and will start my production business fulltime next week so I share your motivation. Best advice I could give would be practice with the equipment as much as possible beforehand, even simple things like how it will fit in the cases, etc. That way when the shooting day arrives you won't be so distracted just getting set up and can start thinking about blocking your shots and the talent that's arriving late already:-)
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, eh!

Hi Aaron,
Is Doom Pioner Village in your city? In 1966 we did a film called "Terror at Sand Creek' for EXPO67
Frank Maxwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood