From Gympie, Qld, Australia.Lurking I was. Joined I have. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

From Gympie, Qld, Australia.Lurking I was. Joined I have.

Hi Everyone. I took the plunge today, after browsing this site for a week or so.

Just from reading this forum, I'm thinking I'm in over my head. I'm an amateur and was looking for a site such as this to learn what I can about my new hobby. I've done a few hours with a small camcorder which I bought 12 yrs ago but was never serious about it.

Things changed a few weeks back when I saw a Z1U on ebay. Some time back at a War Birds day at Caboolture Airport I saw a camera I liked the looks of and immediately lusted after.. Ended up speaking to the owner for a few minutes and I think it was the prosumer version of the Z1U. I'm not sure now. It might even have been a Z1U but when the opportunity arose, I just had to get that camera.

So what am I going to do with it? My first plan is to emulate some good train videos I've seen, then, who knows? Am already thinking of doing some fireworks tapes.

At the moment I'm still browsing this site and waiting for the weather to improve.

My gear at present:-
Video cameras. Sony HVR-Z1U, Sony DCR-TRV530E (recent), DCR-TRV530E( 2001).
DSLR. Fuju ISPro (Full spectrum Camera). Nikon D80 (converted to IR).

If I'm in the wrong place, please let me know, but I've gleaned some tips already.

I'm a retired Queensland Rail guy and have a few problems with mobility but am going to enjoy the Z1U.
John
John Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: From Gympie, Qld, Australia.Lurking I was. Joined I have.

Welcome John. My motto is, "Steal from the best!" and build upon that foundation. I haven't achieved 'greatness', yet, but I'm still working on it. : )

Have a g'day, Mate!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I took the Z1U out within days of it's arrival, checked the settings and everything seemed to be on auto so gave it a try. Overexposed to hell and back which prompted me to seek somewhere I could find help. This seems to be the right place.
Have a good one, Jim, and thanks.
John
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

John, I think you'll find the sub-forum on the Z1 to be most helpful. Start at the last page and work your way forward sine the older information might give you more settings and such for the Z1. It is an older camera but still in use and still a good piece of gear.
Have fun ask all the questions you need to. No additional charge! ;-)
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Don. Thanks for that..
"No additional charge"..??? Good. For a moment I was going to suggest you change the info on your profile to "Video-O-Grafter".. lol.

Yeah. Been reading heaps. Already been to the end and back.
John
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Welcome are you - there is a HUGE amount of information here, take your time and read everything. great info & great people

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood