Hi from Seattle! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Hi from Seattle!

Hello everyone, I thought I would introduce myself. I am a video production student at the Art Institute of Seattle. I am interested in covering live events and possibly starting a live event production company.
If anyone here does, or has done a lot of live event work or and would like to give a student some tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, as I was paging through this forum, I have found a lot of useful advise in these pages. Thank you to all the knowledgeable people that have contributed to this forum.

~Jason
Jason Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:53 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hi Jason, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

There is a lot of knowledge in the forums as you've already found out. Just
browse around a bit to see what is out there.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Welcome aboard

Good name. I should know. :-)

I don't know diddly about the live event production business (just learning it myself) but I have the computer networking and support end covered. Good luck with the startup. Your education should prove a valuable asset.

jason robinson
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Tourist

Welcome to you

Hey Jason,
congratulations on graduating college and I am happy that you picked the carreer path you did. It's not an easy one and I hope you have some serious financial backing if you really want to get into live event production for yourself. I would suggest that you find a company already in existence and get a job landed with them. One way to get in is to intern for them and bust your butt to let them know how eager you are to learn. That happens to be the way I did it myself years ago and it eventually got me hired. I think here in Seattly it's considered kind of a small market in comparison to Los Angeles or New York and usually the wages reflect that. I shot and edited for various companies in Los Angeles covering the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL & some college sports events. This was back in the early 1980's to around the late 90's mind you. The money was great, the memories fantastic and to be honest, it was the most fun I've ever had working in my life. I just recently bought a XL2 and want to get started again shooting. Only in Digital this time. Back then it was all Analog tape. You'll be able to get yourself in but you are going to have to work hard at it. I still think it's the greatest business in the world. Good Luck to ya Bud.
Mike Turpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey Thanks Mike! But I have not graduated yet, I still have two more quarters left. Right now I am searching for a place here in Seattle to intern at. I am looking for a place to intern at that does a lot of live switching for events, hopefully not just weddings.

As far as starting something on my own, I have no finacial backing so its kind of a lost cause. Currently I do videos for Seattle semi pro wrestling, but its not paid work. I am planning on doing the live events, at first on a small scale, shooting to tape with me and maybe two others on prosumer cameras, then posting instead of switching live. Maybe something will come of it maybe not, but it will be an experiance!

Thanks for the advice/insight!!
Jason Knoll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood