"What's shakin??" from Buffalo, NY at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #1
New Boot

"What's shakin??" from Buffalo, NY

Greetings all...

I'm Scott, a 30 yr old Documentary student (SUNY Buffalo) from Buffalo, NY.

Now, I know what you're going to say... "30 yrs old and still a student??? wtf's up with that?"

Well, I started workin security when I was 17... and worked my way up through the ranks... got a degree in Microcomputer Systems Management when I was 20, and didn't do anything with it, 'cause workin in bars and gettin laid was more important to me than, well... stability. Saved up my tips, bought into a bar... then left it when my partners started blatantly stealin from me and the bar.

Decided that I wanted to use my programming knowledge, so got a job doin that for a while, still makin money doin personal security on the side... then the cube got to me and I needed to split.

So I went to India to be a bodyguard.

Fast Forward a year... came home to relax between contracts, and decided to throw a party, and a double 18" subwoofer fell on me, crushing my back leaving me with 2 severly herniated disks in my lower back and less than 50% feeling in my right leg.

After a year and a half of not pretty much not being able to move, I decided to stop feelin sorry for myself and went back to school again for something that will actually let me be artistic and tell the stories I want to tell...

and here I am... 5 semesters later... have 2 more to go until I get my degree... then p'raps a masters.

who knows...

What I DO know is that I will to return to India and film some of the religious festivals that happen in and around Pune / Mumbai area of Maharastra State of India... and that this summer I'm spending time in Chicago to tell the story of DJ Jes-ONE... later in the summer I'll be making a piece on "suspension art" and artists in the Rochester NY, Toronto CA, and Tuscon AZ areas... Probably also have some work over the summer doing haunted house (NOT the carnival) type of work... so if there's any resources that I can tap, PLEASE let me know.

I'm puttin y'all on notice that I'm gonna ask alot of questions over the coming months, since they teach us theory, and we're supposed to learn everything else in the field...

I use premier 7 and aftereffects 6.5

All of my work will be in the public domain, unless it is a comissioned piece, and will be available @ citizenchip.net or archive.org eventually... I'm not about the money, I'm about the preservation of culture and practices... money's great and all, but I'm a low-maintenance kinda guy.

Having said that, I'm in the market for a good new/intelligently used camera in the $2,000 - $2,500 range... I'm going to be using it primarily for club/night life, low light, and nature shoots... if you have any ideas, PLEASE let me hear them.

Thanx for approving me...
Scott Blajszczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Scott. Wow, that's quite a tale! I lived in upstate NY many years myself, but East of you, near Fair Haven Beach State Park, and I was on the faculty at SUNY Oswego. Sounds like you have some great things planned; I'll look forward to hearing more about them.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Oswego huh?

I travelled through there once...

don't remember much of it tho, 'cause I think I was rather intoxicated... good thing I was a passenger.

On the faculty? Doing what?
Scott Blajszczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Blajszczak
don't remember much of it tho, 'cause I think I was rather intoxicated
Well then you would have fit right in with the rest of the student body. Oswego's claim to fame used to be the highest number of bars per capita of any college town ;-)

I was the technical director for the department of theatre there from 1985-1993.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood