Adobe Photoshop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 27th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Photoshop

I just got Photoshop 7.0. Granted I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to working with products like this. I tried for an hour to resize a picture with no luck. I tried to follow the help.haha. No such luck. I'll never figure out whay to do or what i could do with this. I wish there were tutorials written for idiots.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Charles,

Here are some URLS that can help you.

http://www.photoshopcafe.com
http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/
http://www.Photoshopgurus.info/

If you need more let me know ;)

Hope this helps!
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Take heart, Charles. There are oodles of books on Photoshop available at Amazon, or, better still, your local book store, where you can hunker down with them and decide which one looks best for your level.

And yes, I believe there is a "Photoshop for Dummies."

You are in for a long and bumpy ride, so relax and enjoy the journey.

BTW, to change the size of a picture, go to "Image" pulldown, then select "image size." Simply replace the image size information with the size you would like, and press OK. Now, if what you mean is you want to "crop" the image size, that is another matter.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #4
Warden

I teach a Photoshop course and workshop at the school I teach at. If you get stuck, email me and I'll help you through it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys as usual you all have helped. What I cant figure out is , if I want to enlarge to a 8x10 in pic I cant just put in 8x10 it dont work that way. I dont know the calcalations for this.
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Major Player

I only have version 6, but I assume the same is true for 7:
[list=1][*]From the menu select Image > Image Size...[*]In Document Size, select 'inches' in the drop-downs and then add the dimensions in the left-hand boxes.[*]Select other options as appropriate.[/list=1]
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hmmmm thought I tried that but upon preview it would not resize. I donno I'll keep tryin. tks
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Bear in mid that that approach may not change the size of the document on the monitor, but will change the size for prionting.

What are you intending to do with the image? If it's for screen output, inches have no relevance at all.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #9
Warden

Charles are you on a Mac or PC?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm usin PC. I was just trying to enlarge a picture and print. I've taken some stills with my VX2 onto memory stick and put in PShop. I was told the quality of these would't be as good as they can be taken in progressive scan. I'm trying to work that out too. But thats another long story.

I've noticed I have Photoshop & Image Ready, can someone tell me the correlation of the two.

tks, charles
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #11
Air China Pilot

Image Ready helps get your picture ready for the web. It optimizes and slices and can make animated gifs, rollovers. I often use Image Ready interchangeably with Photoshop because they share many of the same tools. However, Photoshop has the more advanced toolset. Photoshop does not have the web tools that Image Ready has.

If you want to make your capture ready for printing, there is not much you can do about enlarging its dimensions without degrading its image. 720x480 is what you have to live with. If you scale it up it will lose its resolution.
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #12
Warden

How to resize in Photoshop. I am on a Mac but for these steps the labels should all be the same.

1. Open image in PS File>Open

2.Go to Image>Image size

Image Size Dialog window should be set as follows:

Pixel dimensions>Pixels
Document Size>Inches
Resolution>Pixels Per Inch

Constrain Proportions should be checked
Resample Image should be checked

Resample>Bicubic

I would not go larger than a 5 X 7 image. A 4 X 6 will yield better quality.

Lets make a 5 X 7:

Under Document Size change the shortest dimension to 5.0 inches. The longer dimension will automatically resize because constrain proportions is checked.

Now change resolution to 300 pixels per inch. If resample image was checked the size should stay the same (5 X 7 something).

Click OK

Image is now resized for printing a 5 X 7.

But we're not done yet.

Go to View>Print Size and you'll see a 5 x 7 on your screen.

But we still aren't done.

Go to Filter>Video>De-Interlace
A dialog window will appear.

The following steps are needed only for interlaced video images. If you image looks jaggy do the following steps.

Choose odd fields
Choose interpolation
Click OK

The image is now ready for adjustment using Image>Adjustments>select operation

The very last step, no exceptions, is to sharpen the image. Do Not Use Sharpen etc.

How to sharpen for print:

Go to Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask

As a starting point use the following in the Dialog window.

Amount: Between 50% and 150%
Radius: Between 2 and 4
Threshold: Between 4 and 11

Sharpen needs to be the very last step. Make no further adjustments after sharpen.

Choose Print and set printer for Best quality Photo Printing with photo quality paper and set printer resolution for the highest quality. Print.

Do Not expect photo quality images without a photo quality, 6 color printer. If quality is less than expected, reduce size to 4 X 6. Buy 6 color printer, buy photo quality paper, do not use generic inks or paper.

Post back questions or results. Thanks.

Old May 29th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Damn! Got It!
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #14
Warden

Well, how do they look?

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media