Using a Mac *grinz* - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 25th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #16
New Boot

That was too funny! lol!
Carolyn Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

"Check it out all you Mac lovers"

I know and work with a few people like this.

They shouldn't be allowed near anything with moving parts lest they lose fingers or put an eye out.

One person couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. And, no kidding, it was discovered that the iMac wasn't plugged in. Aaaaaargh!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

HILARIOUS!!!

I can't see myself editing on anything else than a Mac, but I can sympathize with what that guy's gotta say!

http://advaloreminternational.com
Victor Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #19
Major Player

Very Funny.

It must have been luck. My Mac. dos not fight back. No real issues other than a sneaky uppercut to bring out the spinning beach ball of death.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #20
Major Player

His point about having to unplug the Mac when it hangs is very true...at least from my experience with iMac and Cube. There's no way that power button's gonna work then.

At least when my PC hangs (rarely) the power button does its job.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I got one leg in both camps, meaning that I use both PC´s and an iMac. I have been a PC-user since the 80´s and have only been a Mac-user for about a year now. I think I am pretty good with PC´s and know them quit well. Through the years I have done a lot with PC´s and even built several.

Before my PC period started I used a lot of different computers (Oric, Commodore, Atari and others), my time with Atari made me look a lot at the Apple machines because I thought they had a lot in common at that point. But even though I found Apples machines and software attractive I stayed as a PC-user only, until last year. It had to do partly with their prices, partly with the kind of monopoly situation they had, and the fact that PC´s soon became the major player with Microsoft's OS´s.

Anyway, my struggle the last years building a stable PC-system for video editing, gave me a lot of grey hairs. The only system I found pretty useful and stable, was when I decided to build one dedicated for editing. Even then I had some problems regularly. I do understand that a PC with the necessary equipment are made by many different manufacturers, and that it can be a challenge to make it all work perfect together with the hardware, OS and software.

But this fact also made me look into the Mac threads in this community, to see what kind of experience they had with these problems. To me, they seemed to be more happy with their choices. I then decided that I wanted one Mac for my editing, and I purchased an iMac. Even though I still am a PC user I have not regretted my decision for a moment. Apple certainly do make fine machines and excellent software, and I early had to admit to myself that it was easy and fun using my iMac.

I do agree with the point about having to unplug the Mac when it hangs, but so what? Since I started using my Mac, about a year ago, it have hanged only ONCE! I love working with my PC´s but unfortunately they do play me a lot more tricks. Thats the reason why I have learned to love my Mac even more. I have purchased a lot of software through this year. Even though I have installed them all on my iMac and used them a lot, they have caused no problems at all to my editing programs FCP and DVD Studio Pro.

My conclusion:
I found the video funny, and that was just because it really was funny. But, please all you Mac and PC folks out there, be honest to yourselves and admit that probably is the PC and Mac worlds both great places to be. Probably would both Mac and PC folks could have told us stories about their struggle to make their editing machines work as they would like them to. In the end, all that matters must be that we are satisfied with the solution we have choosed. I will take the opportunity to give you all a little advice. Keep on having fun and make jokes, but keep it there. Stop the arguing about which is the best, and show each other more respect.

Best regards
One who have been lucky enough to play in both worlds.
Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media