The new ALAMO film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:00 AM   #1
Major Player

The new ALAMO film

I meant to post info on the new ALAMO film here for John Locke and whoever else is interested, but I lost the message when I accidently closed the browser! ARGH!!

Since I obviously don't want to type it all over again, I'm going to link to my friend's Web site. He explains our experiences much better than I do...

http://www.onr.com/user/kentman/remember_the_alamo.html

There is a Bible's worth of material on his site..so don't get discouraged..but I promise you it'll be some of the best movie set reading you'll find anywhere.

I had the best of both worlds in the film. I got to play a Mexican soldier at the ALAMO and a Texan "Tejano" volunteer who fought under Sam Houston at the Battle of San Jacinto. I also got to do some work for DISNEY on the ALAMO's official Web site as a result of my successful and popular ALAMO fansite which can be found below.

I'll tell you this much. I learned MUCH more on ONE DAY of shooting than I did with 2 years worth of film school at the University of Texas at Austin.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:51 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Nick,

This is really amazing, I noticed a lot of it was shot near Dripping Springs. I know a lot of Civil War reeanactors up there (Terry's Texas Rangers), many of whom have been extras in a lot of movies. My old horseshoer, R.C. Crowe, was most likely in this film as he's been in everything from The Patriot to Geronimo and so on. Dripping Springs is his home base.

The website looks great and I'd love to run a banner ad for it from DV Info. I tried to right-click on the main title graphic at the top of the index page in order to download it, but I wasn't having much luck. Could you send it to me by email? I'd like to re-size it to a standard banner size and use it to link to you from my site, if that's all right.

Love your message boards too, a great way for extras and reenactors to network. I can't wait to see this movie, and it's a pleasure to have you with us! Having been there myself, I know exactly what you mean about one day on the set teaching you more than a couple years of film school (I'm also a UT grad, RTF). Welcome aboard, and thanks for joining us!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 12:10 PM   #3
Major Player

HI Chris,
Thanks for the compliments and I'll be more than happy to give you a banner. What format and size do you want it in?

I never graduated from film school...I just started doing what I wanted to do and so far it's working. Got projects lined up. I do plan to go back and finish soon, though.

I'm supposed to get the trailer on beta tape soon and I'll see if I can get a link to it in here. By the way, HIDEF was used for the behind the scenes material for the DVD including some XL1s. Heck, I even got interviewed...although I mumbled alot. Gulp.

Here's a picture of me on the Texan side: http://www.thealamofilm.com/temp/mecamp.jpg

Here's a picture of me on the Mexican side (i'm on the left):
http://www.thealamofilm.com/temp/alamoset.jpg

I forgot to mention that I was on the set everyday for 15+ hours a day with Sundays off from December to June 15....

I'm STILL tired.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Nick,

What I could use is a 468x60 banner-size image, If you could send that main title graphic to me then I can resize or crop myself, otherwise if you'd rather do it go ahead, I just didn't want to create any work for you. I like to keep these things in JPG format under 20kb.

If you ever do go back to UT, don't worry about finishing as the degree is worthless and won't do a thing for you. It looks good hanging on the wall, that's about it. The best thing about film school are the instructors and your classmates, and the friends and contacts you make there. That's what counts, and that's what's always worth going back for.

I'm jazzed about this movie, can't want to see it. I'm a huge fan of Wes Studi and I've always loved period pieces that have some degree of historical accuracy and this sounds like one of 'em.

If you're not doing anything Monday night (23rd), I'm buying the beer at the "other" Alamo (the Cinema Draft House): see this thread. Come on by if you're interested... it's one whole dollar to get in.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey guys, The alamo trailer has just been released.

http://www.thealamomovie.com

Let me know what you think
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nick,

Looks great! I can't wait to see this one! (Texas pride kicking into gear suddenly)

I'll have to order this one as soon as it comes out on DVD. Keep us posted of events leading up to the premiere.
Old August 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

Some nice images in those trailers. I'm a BIG sucker for battle films. Hopefully this one is another "Glory" and not another "Patriot".
Old August 20th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

Must be very nice to be able to hang on the set of such a movie
and see how it is all done... Argh, i need to re-locate myself!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media