Speaking of iPods - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I've been a 5 GB owner since they were introduced and have been in love with it ever since. Being able to travel w/o my huge case of CDs is a life saver - I can fit them all in my pocket!
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #17
Machinist Mate

Still trying to decide which iPod to get--and whether I really need one. Got about 80 hours of MP3s saved on my PowerBook. Yes, I know 5+ pounds is not as easy to go jogging/biking/skiing etc. as 5 or 6 ounces, pocket-sized. But then you can't edit video or watch a DVD or even write an e-mail on an iPod, so I guess it's a trade-off.

What I really love is iTunes as a player utility, plus the iTunes Music Store.

I have used iTunes to preprogram entire parties and leave me hands-free to socialize, eat, etc. The automatic cross-fade really works.

And simply grabbing singles at will for $0.99 is just the shiznit! I can get all the hot tunes of the week in minutes and don't have to waste money on the whole albums to get one song.
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Mike, I do the same preprogramed set lists for my fraternity parties and formal dances. Who wants to waste money on crummy DJs who play KC and the Sunshine Band all night? The set lists also came in handy the other night with a little thing we call the Century Club. I was able to have a new song come on every minute so we could acurately time when to take a shot of beer for 100 minutes straight. Thank God for iPods!
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I've been doing the same thing using MusicMatch Jukebox for over 4 years. Plus the new MusicMatch store integrates quite nicely into the player. Creating playlists is actually easier than itunes, and it supports wma.
itunes still has the better interface though. and better integration of internet radio stations.

I now looking for a good, easy to use ogg vorbis encoder/player.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #20
Machinist Mate

Hmmm... 1 shot=1.5 oz. 100 minutes=150 oz. = 12.5 cans of beer. Hope nobody drive home that night. :-)

Geez Matt, if some lame DJ did nothing but play KC & Sunshine band, I would hope that word would get out around campus and town not to give that joker any more work.

I have begun using the computer to automate my cocktail hour/dinner music set, so I can actually sit down and not have to inhale a prime rib in 2 minutes 30 seconds. Of course, when the power hour begins, it's back to slammin'n'jammin' the Denons.

Joe, if you like Music Match, have you tried Roxio Napster yet? (y'know, the legal one) It actually requires wma support (the songs you buy are wma files), and is Win-PC only (sorry, Mac-dudes).
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #21
Major Player

I'm reviving this thread because the iPod Mini is out and I'm assuming there will be some takers. So wanted to mention that B&H is carrying the Shure E5 earphones (not the white E5c, though they are otherwise exactly the same) for $389.95. You have to call to get this price, but other than ebay or some such place, it's probably about the best price going right now from a reputable dealer (and a dvinfo.net sponsor, to boot).
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media