Care to vent about the SOCIAL process of film making? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 27th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #16
Major Player

I once worked on an independent as a Grip and in my down time I would help out the other departments. I'm sure most of you know that is almost unheard of in that the Sound guys do their own thing, the Grips do their own, the P.A.'s their own etc etc.

They were shocked that I would help wherever it was needed as oppossed to just chillin and smoking a cigarette or hanging at the craft table.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #17
Wrangler

I've seen that sort of thing happen a bit more on indies than on union jobs, but even there sometimes folk bop over the department lines to help. The more secure people are about how they do their job, the more likely that is to happen (and in my experience, there's a fair amount of insecurity in the indie world!)

I worked a couple of days on a fairly small picture a few years ago with David Paymer (great character actor) and Casper Van Dien (of "Starship Troopers", uh, fame). Casper was almost fanatical about helping out everyone around him. The producers were begging him not to haul around heavy equipment but he insisted. I remember seeing him lug a craft service table up an embankment. Not something you see every day.
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Wow. That is uncommon!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #19
Regular Crew

"It's kind of a bitch that our hobby is such a wash of egos that people can't simply collaborate on ideas and take realistic views of themselves and others..."

Wow, way to put it. I've only recently stepped into the realm of videography, but I've been in my fair share of bands and musical-networking over the years; musicians are no different :)
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #20
Major Player

All this reminds me of that film of a few years back, "The Commitments", about an Irish blues/rock band. I loved the film but loved the music much more .... but the story line was very interesting on the rise and fall of a band due to lack of commitment and a lot of individual egoes.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #21
Trustee

The saying, "If you want something done right - do it yourself" holds true in filmmaking so much.

In my life, I've decided to make films and television on my terms...one man band for a lot of it. The reason is that most people you work with will let you down unless its for high pay - everyone is so lazy nowadays. It's not like you can count on anyone when you need it. It's rare to have a few people commited to a project, so much so that no matter what happens they're all in to the end.

I was also in rock and roll bands...and that was even worse! I played for 8 years in bands...and it was arguments, people leaving for no reason...just so much work for nothing. It's amazing how you can do great things with the right people and do nothing with the wrong....it's the company you keep.

I'd rather take my time and do it my way than rely on half-assed work of others. It stinks in one way, but with equipment and the ability to have an intimately small crew...it's possible now. Probably 5 years ago..not really. But, things are definately better for small crews and budgets now.

The space between large budget and low budget is wider than ever...Hollywood blockbusters and everything else. It's so cool to know that we can shoot something and actually have a chance to get it out there - at least in video stores around the world. It's all about doing it!

Murph
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #22
Wrangler

Funny the similarities--I too played in bands for years and got very frustrated with the same things you guys experienced. Slowly I became more committed to my "day job" shooting corporate and commercials etc. and phased out the band thing. It made for an interesting life while I was doing both though...

One time about 10 years ago I was shooting a good-size corporate piece for a clothing chain in Boston, and when we wrapped I jumped in my car and drove like a madman for 4 hours up to Killington, VT where my band was playing. I remember changing out of my work shirt and into a "gig" shift in the freezing parking lot, then fishing my sax out from under my Steadicam cases. I ran inside where the band was already playing, threw the horn together and jumped onstage, just in time for a lengthy solo. We played the next two nights, and then I left immediately after the last gig and drove back to Boston, then caught 2 hours of sleep in the car parked outside the location to start work again in the morning.

NOT a lifestyle I could keep up anymore.
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #23
Trustee

Hey, I hear what you're saying...and I live in NH, so I know what you mean about getting up to the mountains!

I see you live in LA now? I was out there doing what you just decribed, but decided to forget about the music career after I was in the Northridge earthquake in 1994. I figured that NH wasn't such a bad place...except, I forgot about this thing called snow. I bet you remember though? lol

Murph
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #24
Wrangler

Christopher, every time I shoot on a Burbank soundstage with fake snow swirling around, I smile, because I remember all too well how unpleasant it is to work in real snow...that smile gets only wider as I see the crew bundled up in North Face parkas and wool hats when the temperature actually drops below 60 degrees!

Hmmm...is it possible to go off-topic in the off-topic forum...?
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #25
Trustee

It's the "totally off topic" forum, so we can talk about anything. I lived on Pass Ave. in Burbank - know where that is? I was living there when the jet went off the runway and ended up on Hollywood Way...I almost got hit by it! Remember that?? It was a few years ago now.

Murph
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #26
Wrangler

Sure, I remember that airplane incident--weird. I love flying out of Burbank, much quieter than LAX. When they can keep the jets inside the perimeter, that is.

Pass, of course, goes right pass Warner Bros. which is what I had in mind when I wrote about the fake snow--and "ER" was the show in question. Every time I do a day there in the two or three months that they are shooting winter episodes, I end up with a zillion potato flakes in my gear that takes months to get out. Such is life.
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #27

Best way to remove potato flakes from equipment?

Compressed air? or paint brush?
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #28
Trustee

Hey Charles, I have a really good friend (known since childhood) that still lives in the house on Pass Ave. He's an audio guy by trade - unbelieveable career doing ProTools for #1 artists etc. etc. Anyway, he's got tons of video gear (great video setup, fcp editing room and also the whole protools setup etc.) and a huge drive to move into filmmaking and out of audio. Since you guys are so close proximity-wise...wanna see if you guys could help each other out sometime? He's got like 10+ years in the music business doing digital audio, but just hasn't had the right connections or situations for video/film. (He has done some video/film stuff in the last 1-2 years.) Anyway, he's the nicest guy you will ever meet in LA - trustworthy and willing to help out in a pinch. At the very least, he's someone to keep in mind for whatever you might have in the future...audio, video or film.

His name is Paul Foley and his email is paul.foley @ mac . com

I'm just letting you know because he's such a good friend and he dreams of moving out of music and into filmmaking. He's always helped me out when I've lived in LA, so I like to help him out too.

You can mention me Chris Murphy if you email him! :)

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media