Tipping - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #31
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I remember getting horrible service one time, so my friends and I left the exact amount and didn't tip. (Keep in mind, we'd all done our time in the service industry before, so we're sympathetic to things like working long hours, too many tables, slow kitchen, etc...even with that in mind, the service was BAD.)

As we walked out into the parking lot, the waitress ran out in a rage, demanding to know why we didn't tip. We tried to blow her off, but she persisted. About that time, the manager saw what was happening and came out and we explained the situation to him. She was fired on the spot. Hopefully, she learned something from that.

As a rule, in the U.S. I tip a flat 15%...but if someone doesn't deserve it, I don't pay that much...or at all. But if they've gone out of their way, I'll pay more. In some cases, a LOT more. An example of that...I was at a chain restaurant once and ordered a bratwurst plate. The waiter brought it my order with plain yellow mustard on the side. I kind of joked about it saying I needed spicy mustard, not your run-of-the-mill yellow stuff. He told me to hold on...ran out of the restaurant...we watched him run into a supermarket across the parking lot, then return with some spicy yellow mustard. I couldn't believe it...especially since I was just kidding. His tip turned out to be more than the food order for all four of us.

Here in Japan, though, there's no tipping. That certainly makes things easier.
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Interesting discussion. I, too, have been in the service industry, so I know what it is like to work for tips. Knowing what I know about tips on credit cards having to be reported, whenever possible, when I pay using credit, I tip in cash. Cash goes straight to the pocket and can be used immediately. Also, it allows the server the "flexibility" to report whatever they want to report.

I tip between 15% and 20% normally, but if the service is horrible with no apologies from the waiters, I go to zilch. If, on the other hand, the service is excellent, I go above that. Yes, I am well aware that they earn less than minimum wage, and depending on where they work, they may be taxed on 110% of their pay, but that does not excuse poor service. In one restaurant we frequent, Armando brings us our normal drinks and appetizer right after we sit down. Armando is tipped very well.

When travelling, I try to carry a stock of $2 bills, and I tip with those. If I'm staying at the same hotel for more than a couple of days, people remember you when you tip with $2 bills.
James Nyfeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #33
Major Player

$2 bills, that's a new one to me.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #34

Zac,

I have some $3 bills I'll exchange for Aussie dollars before your next trip to the States.

$2 bill tips...that's a good tip, James. ;)

Another thing to remember...leave a tip in the room for housecleaning at hotels.
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #35
Major Player

John if all goes to plan, i will have a 2 week shoot in april or may, i will know next month for sure... would love you to come down for it. :)

But that is for another thread.

John, if you want to be nice can you lend me some of those $1000 bills you guys have.... i'll buy ya a beer.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #36
Major Player

Jack Buck, the well known sports announcer, was well known among taxi drivers because he always tipped them $50, no matter how short the ride.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM   #37
Wrangler

Yeah, $2 bills make great tips. Same with Sacagawea dollars and Kennedy 50-cent pieces. They're worth no more than regular currency but are perceived as being "special." Just ask for them the next time you're at the bank. You'll get smiles and hugs from your waitresses, etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:34 AM   #38
Wrangler

We used to have $1 and $2 bills, but now we have coins. Not as good for tipping.
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:35 AM   #39
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i'm staring to notice more TAXES on the bill when i travel around.
so are we supposed to tip 15% of total bill including tax or tip on the amount before taxes ..

and how about some of those airport car rental taxes !!!!
can sometimes add up to 40% of the car rental ..
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:53 AM   #40
Wrangler

Post-tax.

Don't tip your car rental clerk.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:13 AM   #41
Warden

Are you sure Robert (did you check with your Mom)? I think the tip is on the total bill, so add the drinks, bar tab etc. but the tip is before tax.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:47 AM   #42
Wrangler

I'll ask her. Whatever she tells me, it'll be the opposite. :-)

Old January 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM   #43
Warden

In the overall scheme of things, the tip on the tax portion is pretty small so it really doesn't matter. Even on a large tab, say $400, and the tax is 10%, the tip on $40 is not that bag a deal, if you're buying $400 meals.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM   #44

That's pizza and a beer here in Tokyo, Jeff. ;)
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM   #45
Major Player

Things have changed.
I used to have to travel with 13 -plus cases to do a show in another city. If I didn't give the skycap at least $80, I'd have a case show up somewhere in another state. It was expected. Here in Atlanta, the skycaps are used to (or..were that is) seeing video gear and spotting a crew. They knew they'd get tipped $30 to cart stuff out to the curb and load it.

Now you pay big bucks to ship every single extra case. Bellhops are still making out pretty good moving gear for shows in hotels. Depending on how much and the distance- about $20 is the norm from the "security room" to loading a van.

Now if I could just get the company to factor that into the expense reports...

my two cents...
Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media