Super Bowl Commercials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Super Bowl Commercials

Well, today's the day. The Patriots and the Panthers square off for what some say is the ultimate American football event of the year. But more importantly, it's the airing of the 2004 commercials designed to catch the attention of millions of consumers (if not earn millions from consumers). Will Budwiser make a come-back after a ho-hum showing in 2003? Will the dog diving into a glass of water (part of the Mountain Mist ad) steal the show? Hits and misses. Which commercial will get your vote? It's only a few hours away until show time!
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I heard that Apple will have a commercial in the same spirit as the one 20 or so years ago, you know, the one were that female runner smashes the big screen. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

So far I'm not really impressed with any of them. I hope they're saving the best for Halftime...
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

I was disappointed that there wasn't a blow-out 2-minute music video commerical like one of the beverage companies usually does.

No commerical for Apple, but IBM's Linux ad had Muhammed Ali, who bequested the ironic advice "Shake it up."

My favorite ad was for Shards O' Glass Freeze Pops.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I saw a bunch of Monster.com ads, but I still have no idea what Monster.com is all about and I refuse to go to the site to find out. I assume it is another search engine. Just shows how well advertisings sell their products. My favorite ad was a Coors Lite commercial where the two guys run into eachother and the first guy makes his dog fetch him a Coors Lite. He thinks he is a bad ass and then asks "What can your dog do?" The 2nd guy tells his dog "Coors Lite" and the dog jumps up and bites the first guy in the balls and he flings his Coors Lite to the 2nd guy. Makes me want to buy Coors Lite now!

Also, did anyone noticed how Janet Jackson was "accidentally" exposed at the end of the "music" number? I guarantee you that was 100% intentional and a publicity stunt, ala the Britney/Madonna kiss.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:46 AM   #6
Wrangler

(Monster.com is the most well-known resume/job listing service.)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well it's funny about these stupid ads. And I think Ted proves why. That ad with the crotch biting was for Bud Light, not Coors Light. Shows you how much branding and marketshare these ads really bring to the table.

As for JJ's breast, suffice it to say she is looking for publicity. When did she last have an album out? Was she not singing a song from 2000, or whenever her last album was out, for the halftime show?

Just my two cents.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Well, no Apple ad, as I was told to look out for---should have known better than to listen to ****. I enjoyed one or to funny ones, though the Lays and JJ ad were in poor taste (in my opinion).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM   #9
Major Player

What a disappointment ! The commercials were lame with perhaps one or two standouts (The Coors Lite one with the dogs was O.K.). There were more commercials for CBS programs than for other companies products (could it be CBS couldn't sell that commercial time?). And the half-time show stunk big time. A marching band lead by a duck would have been better. The only thing I have to say about the breast exposure is what do you expect from someone in that family.

The only good thing about the Super Bowl was the game, and that was how it should be to begin with (congrads to the Pats, with a little better strategy the Panthers may have pulled off a win). Oh yes, there is one other good thing about the Super Bowl .... it's over and the Super Bowl aristocracy will now leave Houston.
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Once again, it was Bud Lite not Coors.

I liked the horse flame farting.

Half time was like watching something from Jupiter.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:51 AM   #11
New Boot

The game was great... what I saw of it.

I did like the Willie Nelson H&R Block ad. But the joke may be too old for many to understand it now.

And I agree... what makes a commercial great is that it entertains AND you know who the advertiser is after the ad. :)

The best one ever for me was from a few years ago. FedEx had an add that was just color bars. The text on it said that the commerical never made it because the ad was not sent FedEx. So millions of dollars were wasted!

Oh and to the person who posted about CBS advertising all their shows. I noticed that too. They denied PETA and moveon.org commercial time because it was against their rules about lobbying, etc. But they had anti-tobacco ads... go figure. So they HAD commercials from others, but to advertise all of the CBS shows was a good attempt to get people to watch their station, but a little overdone.
Lisa Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Clydesdale/Donkey ad.

I remember hearing a bit about it before the ad aired, but I thought the whole ad was well done and was by far one of the most memorable ones. Hair extensions! Heheh.

The Cadillac ads with the "water" wake effect and also the commercial where the sound had to "catch up" with how fast the car was going were also memorable.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:17 AM   #13
Major Player

I didn't get that with the sound catching up. Pretty good idea but I didn't take it as that at the time.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:25 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Rob,

Yeah, it took us awhile to figure it out also.

At first we thought that someone had screwed up...REALLY badly. : )

But towards the end, when the sound started to kick in we knew they had a good concept for the commercial. It doesn't make me want to go buy a Cadillac, but it did get the "Hey, that was pretty damn cool" reaction.

The car was so fast that the sound had to catch up. "Wow". : )
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I liked the preview for Van Helsing. Of course, lately I'll watch practically anything with Kate Beckinsale in it (Underworld was a greaty low budget horror flick).
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media