Help! Need quick ideas for a school film on satire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Help! Need quick ideas for a school film on satire

Our school has given us a chance to make a short 10-15 minute movie and it must be presented in a satire. If anyone doesn't know what that is... it's basically presenting an idea or issue/concern, but not directly presenting it and luring in the audience/viewer/reader into the same attitude or positive/negative views you're thinking, then slowly hitting them with the opposite and the total truth. Like an example is a film on McDonalds ...the first few minutes would lure the viewer into thinking ... "Wow! McDonalds is really good and everyone eats them!" ...but then slowly showing the truth and reality that McDonalds' food is actually very unhealthy and then presenting them with unbiased (very important, opinionation always seems to mock a satire, facts are best) facts of true information... Then the viewer will realize "Wait a minute...this isn't right" etc, etc. What are some good ideas?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Okay, Mr. Ho, I don't know what kind of school you attend, as in I don't know if it's college, film school, high school of what ever. But remember, you can do stuff in college you can't get away with in high school, so I will leave it to you to use your best judgement. Some topics are very controversal, and may get you and you buds in hot water. Sadly, they make the best satire.

First things first, do you have a point you would like to make? The war in Iraq? Prayer in school? Same sex marriage?
Racism?

If it were me, I'd use the "Superbowl Commercial" fad. (Steer clear of that Janet Jackson thing.) Make up several really stupid commercails for products that no body needs. A beer that gets you drunk three times faster, a car that
has a 20 cylinder engine, ultra-cancer cigaretts. Really go over the top. Then have the voice over of two charecters say how great all the stuff is. Have an announcer state that the game is coming back on, and have the characters comment that they are going to turn off the tv because they don't really care about the game just the commercials.

You get to pick on the silliness of advertising and consumerism. You can be creative. Because you are makeing several little films (the commercials) everyone will get a chance to have imput, and you'll learn some useful editing skills.

Five minutes is along time. Have fun with it.

Joe

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media