Filming, taping... now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Filming, taping... now what?

For the longest time, capturing an image onto a piece of celluloid has commonly been referred to as "filming", for obvious reasons. With the introduction of tape (VHS, Beta, DV, etc.), "taping" became another process of capturing images. Many people use these terms interchangably.

In school, we used miniDV. One of my teachers absolutely despised us saying, "We're going out to film..." At first I thought that was silly, but soon fully supported his point. If its being captured onto tape, then how can you call it filming? That term is reserved for film and film only.
Putting liquid in your mouth and swallowing is called "drinking." Putting something more solid in your mouth, chewing, then swallowing is called "eating." You don't drink a slice of pizza, you eat it. The same goes for recording onto tape.

I'm sure, by now, everyone is very well aware of the up-and-coming medium that captures images straight to a digital storage device (harddisk, flash, optical disc, etc.). Since referring to this as filming, or even taping, will drive me crazy, I'll have to call it something else.
Technically "capturing" refers to the process, not the medium - which applies equally to digital storage, tape, and film. "Digitizing" has an automatic associating with converting existing analog footage into digital files. "Filing" would apply, I guess, but is already reserved for paperwork.

I'm sure someone else came up with the proper term a long time ago, but they didn't tell me. This question has been circling through my head for quite some time now, and I think its time to put it to rest. What do you guys think?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Recording?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, Rob, that was fast.

I thought about that one too. Much like "capturing," "recording" is more of a process than medium. Plus, I tend to associate "recording" more with audio, although it does apply to video just the same.

"I'm going to record some footage."

Does that sound right?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

Sounds good to me. I'll just say "I'm making a movie" <g>

Seriously, I don't care too much about what to call such things.
Let's make some movies!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

Shooting would be the correct general term for me.
Shoot some film....
Shoot some video...

Just watch where you use the term "shooting" in public these days...
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Wrangler

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM   #7
Warden

I've used the term shooting and shooter for so long it would seem odd to use any other phrase.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It's really a moot point. When I discuss "filmmaking" with someone in the biz, they say "What format?" by way of asking for clarification - If film, what guage, if video what res. It's like the word "Cinema" and "Film" and "Movie" - they are used generically at this point, and often take on a regional flavor. Depending on where you live. (Like words for "soda" "pop" "soft drink" or "Coke(tm)

Vidoegrapher/Cinematographer both fall under the working title of "Director of Photography". Recording is an accurate word for whatever medium the image is being "captured" on. (You record the image on film, disk, tape, paper... whatever)

I think it might become more and more common to refer to the act "Filmmaking" even when shooting on digital mediums, because at present, if you want to show it "At the Movies" you have to transfer it to "Film".

I have to go now, my head hurts.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Guys. . .I thought we were hipper than this. Ok, check this out, see how cool it sounds:

"Yo, homeslice, me and my dawgs be all up in da schizzle, diskin', yo." I was all like, hangin' out at the park, and this fly honey done walked by, so I got out my camera and started diskin' her. She told me to stop diskin', but I was like, 'yo, you too fly fo' me to stop diskin'. So I kept diskin. Tomorrow, we diskin' a rap video.

Yes, I think I'm onto something.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media