Experience with Ritz Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Experience with Ritz Camera

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but anyway!
I just want to share with everyone a recent experience with Ritz.
Back in December while I was dropping off some film I was offered a free subscription to 3 magazines for 3 months. I filled in the card and a month later my magazines came.
While checking my bank account yesterday I noticed withdrawls that I did not recognize. On checking I found out that they were subsriptions for these magazines.
At no time did I give my debit card to the subscription company nor did I authorize Ritz to give them that info. (the card I filled in had no account field nor did it say that you would be billed after 3 months)
I for one wont buy fron Ritz anymore !
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sorry to hear about your problem, but this really doesn't have much to do with DV, does it?... moving this to the TOTEM pole forum.

Signing up for "free magazines" is not a good idea regardless of where you encounter it. They are never "free," but just a few free issues and you need to cancel before getting billed. Also; use a credit card instead of a debit card! This gives you the option to place the charge in contest, but with the debit card the money is already gone from your account and you have to try to get it back.

My personal experience with Ritz has always been positive, but maybe I'm just lucky. The store I've used has had the same manager for quite some time and the staff is helpful and courteous. When I go there however it's more like a trip to the "convenience store." I know I probably won't get the best deal, but I can see and touch the merchandise and it is easily returned if there's a problem. It would never even cross my mind to sign up for a free magazine subscription!

I hope you resolve everything with your bank. Why don't you go back to the Ritz store where you made your purchase and speak with the manager in person? I'd think they would want to know if any possible fraud has occured.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I beg to differ, Boyd... I was e-mailed an offer from DV Magazine, offering a free subscription. Almost 2 years later, I'm still getting my monthly mag, free of charge. What a deal! My favorite mag at my favorite price ;)

As for Samual's problem, I would contact the bank, and file credit theft or fraud.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yes, you are right about industry trade magazines, but that's a little different scenario. I get some freebies there too, and they can be useful. Never got a free offer for DV though, but I am a subscriber. Seeing how thin that magazine has gotten it amazes me they can afford to give it away. All my other trade freebies are packed with ads.

But my advice still stands: beware of offers of free magazines or anything else! Also get a credit card to take advantage of the consumer protections which you don't have with debit cards. Just use your debit card to withdraw cash from ATM's and you can avoid this sort of hassle in the future.
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My point though is that at no time did I give them my card for anything other than to pay for the current purchase. I am well aware as when to use a credit card and when to dispute. I am just stunned that a company of Ritz's reputation would foreward my info without warning to the subscription company.
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

I agree that this is disturbing. As I suggested, why not discuss the whole incident in person with the manager of the store where this happened. The reception you get will tell us a lot more about Ritz than you unfortunate experience thus far.
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I intend to stop by the store on my way home today, I have also e-mailed Ritz corporate office.
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media