Where to live that isn't LA or NY at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to live that isn't LA or NY

Yeah... I don't really want to live in either city, but I'm at the point where I need to relocate if I want to continue to pursue this career path. Which I do!

I remeber reading an article not too long away, but I can't remember where or what exactly it said. The article was about US cities that are up and coming in the film biz.

If someone can point me in that direction and/or supplement that information I will be appreciative and name my first discovered planet after you.

Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Well as you know I might be somewhat biased, but... Austin, Texas is *it* as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of production at a variety of levels always going on in this area... everything from major Hollywood releases such as Sin City to national and regional commercial shoots to independant film productions and more. Of course, if you walk into any convenience store in Austin, the guy behind the counter will have a Master's in Film... it is a sort of educational glut around here. But generally speaking you'll rise to the level of your talent just like everyone else.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Wrangler

Not to mention Fred, [bias mode on] Texas is a great place to live! No state income tax, a huge variety of climate and landscapes, many lifestyles from rural to big city, small town, desolate, you name it. [bias mode off]

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Plus, winter is only a couple of weeks in February!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Plus, winter is only a couple of weeks in February!
I don't think the folks in Lubbock or Amarillo would agree with you on that one my friend. (hehe)

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Speaking as a native Texan, whose work will be showcased in LA next week, who has relocated to Northern California... all the work seems to be in Canada.

No joke. That's where the industry is 'fleeing' too. That and New Zealand.

Bottom line, it really is your talent that's going to be the big decider. That and your determination. Obviously, if there's more work being done in a particular area, there's more work to be found - As well as more workers looking for it. So it's kind of a wash. It's the old 'Big fish/small pond' question.

So ask yourself beyond the job situation, what sort of lifestyle you are interested in.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez

Bottom line, it really is your talent that's going to be the big decider. That and your determination. Obviously, if there's more work being done in a particular area, there's more work to be found - As well as more workers looking for it. So it's kind of a wash. It's the old 'Big fish/small pond' question.

So ask yourself beyond the job situation, what sort of lifestyle you are interested in.

Yeah that really is the question. And a lot of why I don't want to be in NY or LA. I'm counter culture type, not into mainstream. I'm very liberal and outspoken and VERY DETERMINED. I'm currently living in Nebraska which I'm finding to be the opposite of everything that I am. In addition i'm in a dead end job as a Production Assistant with the Local Public Access Cable. I need to pursue my career. This is the research phase of my education and career future.

Thank you guys for your help, present and continued.
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
... all the work seems to be in Canada.

No joke. That's where the industry is 'fleeing' too. That and New Zealand.
Richard, that's so...2003! Seriously, the runaway production issue is a moving target. The actual filming is going wherever happens to be cheap at the moment, and Canada and NZ may have already had their days in the sun as other countries have ponied up incentives that are more favorable (see Romania, South Africa etc.) Also, some states are now jumping on the bandwagon and offering tax breaks also, and a lot of filming has gone there (Louisiana).

If one's intention is to work above-the-line (i.e. director, producer), it's really not about where the filming is done, it's where the deals are made, and that's still LA and NY. If one wants to be a crewperson, work below-the-line, the best bet is still those cities in long run, as the work migrates from state to state and country to country.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
If one's intention is to work above-the-line (i.e. director, producer), it's really not about where the filming is done, it's where the deals are made, and that's still LA and NY. If one wants to be a crewperson, work below-the-line, the best bet is still those cities in long run, as the work migrates from state to state and country to country.
Redirecting here just so we don't get off topic or into a "the biz is here" debate. The topic is Where to live that isn't LA or NY. And by that I mean other areas that are up and coming or just not as large scale an those two.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Finn
I'm counter culture type, not into mainstream. I'm very liberal and outspoken and VERY DETERMINED.
Holy cow...then you would LOVE Austin! If there's one place in Texas that liberalism thrives, it's in Austin. Now that's not to say that there isn't a ton of conservative types there; it's just that unlike the rest of Texas, a liberal can actually be very successful in Austin. The counter culture doesn't have to hide there.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:38 AM   #11
Major Player

A lot of commercials are shot in Chi Town. Commercials are usually great money, best equipment, quick turnaround, etc...
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Charles....

Ooouch!... Busted for being behind the curve. I was in NorCal from 97-01 and everyone was harping on the runaway problems. Went BACK to Houston from 01 to 04 and everyone was saying it was off to New Zealand... BACK in NorCal now... and happy to be here!

Fred. Austin is a very 'liberal' town despite the fact that it's the state capital. It's still a 'college' town with a young, hip crowd. The industry is growing leaps and bounds there with a graduating class of 'moviemakers' flooding the streets every spring. Austin Film Festival in the Fall, and SXSW in the spring work to keep the industry high-profile. You might want to just visit for a few days, to see how you like it. Houston is also a 'blue' city. The fourth largest city in the US, and hot as hell. Texas is a cheap place to live too, something to think about, especially as I look at home prices here in NorCal... yikes!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Where to live?

Personally Toronto is great. Winters are a little discouraging, but comming from Northern Ontario (Timmins) they are mild. Plus, the travel from here is good to most North American destinations and Europe. Canadian Dollar is strong right now. Lots of new construction and large population center.
Why do you want or need to move. Regardless of what everyone says work is what you make of it. Finding and keeping it is a challenge everywhere and unless you have contacts (working ones) in a city you don't have much chance.
But keep your head up and good luck where ever you land.

TwoBit Digital Inc.
Video and Computer Geek
P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, Matrox RT.x100, dual head display
Devlyn Hukowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

The other thread is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=32654

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:49 PM   #15
Inner Circle

How about Vancouver, BC? Home of EA games, Lions Gate Films, and non-mainstream stuff (except the new Battlestar Galactica). Great scenery too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
that's so...2003! Seriously, the runaway production issue is a moving target. The actual filming is going wherever happens to be cheap at the moment, and Canada and NZ may have already had their days in the sun as other countries have ponied up incentives that are more favorable (see Romania, South Africa etc.)
P.S Charles, You didn't know that Battlestar Galactica was shot here in Vancouver!?!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media