David Lynch...DV's filmmakers dream come true... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #16
Trustee

DUNE is an amazing film in many ways, easily the most romantic science fiction film ever made.

BLUE VELVET and ELEPHANT MAN are probably his best films. Both are provocative and touch on what it means to be 'normal.' ANd it made Dennis Hopper famous again - that's gotta count for something! :)

ERASERHEAD, is well, ERASERHEAD. It is probably the last of the great midnight movies. If it seems super weird, it's suppossed to. Great, trippy flick with amazing use of editing and sound effects (much like original THX 1138).

I'll watch anything he does at least once. Neat to see he's using a video camera.

jdv
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard
Lynch... Crappy... Sure...

While his movies are not for everyone, they are far from 'crappy.'

Hmmm... Please... where can we find your works so we might all compare them?
C'mon.. Show us how a real 'master' does it...

On more serious fronts. I'm going to the Pasadena showing on Friday.
If it's good as I'm guessing it will be... I won't have ANY excuses anymore for not working. Dang!
I laugh at that myself - this guy is a total troll moderator on another forum and really gets on a lot of people's nerves with his arrogance despite the fact he has minimal training and no experience and just bought a DV cam in 2003 LOL.

Anyway, if you want a laugh, a film of his is at...

http://www.outlandpictures.com/movies/Luper.mov
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
DUNE is an amazing film in many ways, easily the most romantic science fiction film ever made.

BLUE VELVET and ELEPHANT MAN are probably his best films. Both are provocative and touch on what it means to be 'normal.' ANd it made Dennis Hopper famous again - that's gotta count for something! :)

ERASERHEAD, is well, ERASERHEAD. It is probably the last of the great midnight movies. If it seems super weird, it's suppossed to. Great, trippy flick with amazing use of editing and sound effects (much like original THX 1138).

I'll watch anything he does at least once. Neat to see he's using a video camera.

jdv
Straight Story also good
and I don't care what anyone says - Mulholland Drive kicks ass - initially I hated the first 90 minutes, but it takes skill to make you go back and appreciate the movie as a whole after watching the last half hour.
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna
Anyway, if you want a laugh, a film of his is at...

http://www.outlandpictures.com/movies/Luper.mov
Ouch.

If Inland Empire comes out half as good as I expect it will after being shot with a PD150, I will be sticking to the camera I have and just working 3 times as hard. Heh.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard
Ouch.

If Inland Empire comes out half as good as I expect it will after being shot with a PD150, I will be sticking to the camera I have and just working 3 times as hard. Heh.
Is it released yet - I can't find any concrete info other than it was supposed to be out in December sometime - can't wait.

Interesting he chose the pd150 over a z1u.
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew

It is a limited release coming out tomorrow. Check http://www.inlandempirecinema.com/ to see if there are showings in your area.

I think he chose the PD150 for two reasons:
1) The PD150 is famous for its low light capabilities.
2) He had some of them from shooting parts of Mulholland Drive and his Playstation 3 commercial.

I have an A1U, and if the filmout turns out as good as I suspect it will, I will not be upgrading my camera. In the Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick Two equation, I'm going for Good and Cheap...
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media