David Lynch...DV's filmmakers dream come true... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

David Lynch...DV's filmmakers dream come true...

Greetings, not sure if I'm allowed to post this link but I'm sure all aspiring DV filmmakers out there would appreciate the read.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/story.asp?NID=17580
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Major Player

"Having started without a script"

From Lynch? Gee; what a shocker.

I've never got into David Lynch; his work is too, hmmmmmm... how should I say?

Crappy?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

Lynch is hit and miss for me but he is never boring. He engages me. I've seen Mullholland Dr. twice and understood it differently a dozen times. That movie was a miss for me but I enjoyed the task of deciphering it. Even if one stumbles over the narrative I could never call him a crappy filmmaker. He has wonderful camera direction and visual narrative sense and, for followers of the auteur theory, he certainly is his own man.

As for him using DV, why not. If he plans to build up the narrative in editing, then surely DV is the best - least expensive - most convenient way to go. Does that mean he doesn't have a story in his head? I would wager he does.
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"Building up a narrative" is what 'reality TV ' is all about. It is why the editors of those shows, want to be paid as writers. They take a load of crap, and find/create/invent a story line through it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #5
Wrangler

I spent an interesting day on the set of "Inland Empire", was demoing the Flyer for David and did some shots for him. It was fascinating to watch him do what he does. Of especial interest is the fact that he was using a set of PD150's (his own)--worth keeping in mind, those who consider any camera older than the latest and greatest to be "obsolete".
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Trustee

Really interesting Charles, thanks.

Reading technicals forums like this one, it's easy to think like "I need this new XLHVX200H1 now! Since the announcement of this model all my old footage look like crap!"

You know, I'm so in love with my old 1997 XL1 ! When people see my shorts movies I receive plenty of comments about the direction of photography, story, lighting, etc, but never about image quality. And I am sure I would be the same if I had one of these new cams.

Why bother editing HD then!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hudson
"Having started without a script"

From Lynch? Gee; what a shocker.

I've never got into David Lynch; his work is too, hmmmmmm... how should I say?

Crappy?
Not enough guns and matrix kung fu for you? Did you even watch his movies???

Eraserhead
The Elephan Man
Blue Velvet
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Wild At Heart

Are all great and solid at the worst

Lost Highway
Twin Peaks
Dune

are questionable, but each has some merit to it.

In any event, he has a damn good batting average and is one of the few to buckle under outside pressure to make what he wants.

Kindly take your immaturity back to your DVXuser.com LOL.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Lynch is hit and miss for me but he is never boring. He engages me. I've seen Mullholland Dr. twice and understood it differently a dozen times. That movie was a miss for me but I enjoyed the task of deciphering it. Even if one stumbles over the narrative I could never call him a crappy filmmaker. He has wonderful camera direction and visual narrative sense and, for followers of the auteur theory, he certainly is his own man.

As for him using DV, why not. If he plans to build up the narrative in editing, then surely DV is the best - least expensive - most convenient way to go. Does that mean he doesn't have a story in his head? I would wager he does.
I agree about what you said, although I really loved Mulholland Drive, but I thought Lost Highway was not a great movie, but it still keeps me interested.
But as you said: although I'm not a fan of every movie he makes, I still think it's nice to see an artist have his own voice and doing what he wants. So I respect him very much!

Charles, can you elaborate more on your experience on the set? I'm very interested in little details or bigger things that went on on that set, about his direction but also on the use of these camera's on a professional set...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Wrangler

A friend of mine produced the film and he invited me to the set, I brough a Steadicam Flyer borrowed from Tiffen to show to David. He thought it was very cool and wanted to operate it himself on a shot, then he just had me do it. I didn't think that was going to happen, but he improvised a shot where I was to walk down some long hallways and enter a room with two characters in bed (Laura Dern being one) and then I climbed up on the bed and ended up looking straight down on them. Actually a near-impossible shot to pull of with a full-size rig but doable with the little guy. David thought it was cool stuff. I stuck around and operated another scene with Laura; the DP operated another camera and David operated the third.

Overall, it seemed that David had some ideas in mind but he was largely improvising bits of business and scenes on the day, and then asking for things to be set up and secured for future days. Keeping the crew lean and the format cheap obviously made this possible--the logisitics of a full-size crew would have been out-of-hand in this environment.

It was pretty cool to be around. He's a nice guy.

He's planning on doing more stuff like this, I think. But probably on a small-format HD camera next time.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #10
Outer Circle

Fire Walk With Me (Twin Peaks) and Dune did it for me. It don't take much to amuse a twisted mind.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
A friend of mine produced the film and he invited me to the set, I brough a Steadicam Flyer borrowed from Tiffen to show to David. He thought it was very cool and wanted to operate it himself on a shot, then he just had me do it. I didn't think that was going to happen, but he improvised a shot where I was to walk down some long hallways and enter a room with two characters in bed (Laura Dern being one) and then I climbed up on the bed and ended up looking straight down on them. Actually a near-impossible shot to pull of with a full-size rig but doable with the little guy. David thought it was cool stuff. I stuck around and operated another scene with Laura; the DP operated another camera and David operated the third.

Overall, it seemed that David had some ideas in mind but he was largely improvising bits of business and scenes on the day, and then asking for things to be set up and secured for future days. Keeping the crew lean and the format cheap obviously made this possible--the logisitics of a full-size crew would have been out-of-hand in this environment.

It was pretty cool to be around. He's a nice guy.

He's planning on doing more stuff like this, I think. But probably on a small-format HD camera next time.
Thank you Charles, your anecdotes and stories are always interesting to hear!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Wrangler

Attention Lynch fans in L.A...

Drop what you are doing and head to the corner of Hollywood and LaBrea from now until 5 p.m. Park and head to the northwest corner. You won't be disappointed.
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Ahhh Charles, it's a bit of a drive from San Francisco! Do let us know whats' happening after the fact.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #14
Wrangler

I just happened across it myself--on the streetcorner, a large sign saying "For your consideration, Laura Dern" with a picture of her, and another saying "Without milk, there would be no Inland Empire". Standing next to the sign, a large cow. And sitting in a director's chair next to the cow, puffing a smoke, David Lynch. They were out there for 5 hours or so.

My friend who produced the film was there and he took me over to David, we exchanged pleasantries and he told me the shot I did ended up in the movie, which was nice.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun for any local fans of his to be able to meet him in that odd but relaxed environment, looks like no-one got out there in time though.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Lynch... Crappy... Sure...

While his movies are not for everyone, they are far from 'crappy.'

Hmmm... Please... where can we find your works so we might all compare them?
C'mon.. Show us how a real 'master' does it...

On more serious fronts. I'm going to the Pasadena showing on Friday.
If it's good as I'm guessing it will be... I won't have ANY excuses anymore for not working. Dang!
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media