Wireless ISDN - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #16
Inner Circle

What is the distance? I guess just put a pole on each building and run a wire. Keeps it off of the ground!

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Goldman

I've tried the kind that use the AC wiring - no good. The garage is on a separate supply than the house. Separate meter panel etc. Probably even a different phase from the nearby pole.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
What is the distance? I guess just put a pole on each building and run a wire. Keeps it off of the ground!

Mike
But it will look ugly (at least, that is what I will be told!) and I'd still have to run it some distance on/underground to the pole.

Really just want something to plug in. Like a cordless phone. A base unit connected to the ISDN in the house and a cordless device that can connect to a fax or whatever (i.e., not just a cordless handset).
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller
But it will look ugly (at least, that is what I will be told!) and I'd still have to run it some distance on/underground to the pole.

Really just want something to plug in. Like a cordless phone. A base unit connected to the ISDN in the house and a cordless device that can connect to a fax or whatever (i.e., not just a cordless handset).
And I want to win the lottery! Just hang lights on it and tell her it's Christmas.

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
I've investigated that - even the newer WildBlue. Installation is expensive and I have to use ipsec tunnelling a lot. The latency is too high for it to be useful.
You certainly have an "interesting" setup :-) Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you, but just thought I'd add my own experience with satellite interent service for anyone else who might be eavesdropping. I researched this a bit before moving out in the middle of nowhere myself. I didn't like what I read about any of the consumer level systems, so I got the small business package from Hughes which uses a larger dish and more powerful transmitter. It is surprisingly robust; I don't even notice any slowdowns during big thunderstorms. Haven't spent my first winter here yet.

Just ran a speed test at testmy.net right now; getting 1.6Mbs down and 289Kbps up. But you're right - the latency can be very annoying for some things and there are other odd glitches on graphics heavy websites. And you're also right that it's expensive, about $900 installation and $100/mo for the package I got.

But to add insult to injury, after I moved I learned that I am now able to get DSL... after signing a 24 month agreement with Hughes that has a big penalty for bailing out. So you need to keep checking the availability of DSL, they seem to be rolling it out constantly in new areas. Just out of curiousity, how much is your ISDN service? I always heard it was very expensive and also slow (something like 128k I thought?). Years ago when I was teaching one of my student's father worked for the telephone company. He said that ISDN stood for "Integrated Services customers Don't Need." ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:

ISDN is a bit tricky in these regards. I think you're wireless solutions are limited in this scenario.

The problem, as I understand it, is that you want to be able to maintian voice and fax service at the garage, not just internet connectivity. You may have to bury the line, or run it overhead as suggested. How do you currently have the line connected? Laying on the ground? If so, I would route the cable at the base of the building (garage) just below ground to a point that's closest to the house and then go underground from there. Or, come out of the garage and down the side of the building to that same point to make the trek across to the house. You could paint the cable in a color that is identical or close to the color of the building exterior.

By the way, you don't have to rip up sidewalk or brick to bury the cable, there are water powered 'tunneling devices' that will get you underneath. That's how we got the water lines for my sprinkler system under the front sidewalk.

Just be creative and you can get that cable hidden.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Can't get VoIP service...no cable/dsl availability!
VoIP does not specifically require cable or DSL, just a broadband connection.

Quote:
No point paying for ISDN and then for VoIP on top of it....
Good point. But, if no other good solution presents itself, you may be stuck with either the existing ISDN line to your garage - that your wife doesn't like as it is now ;) - or VoIP.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #23
Inner Circle

You did mention brick and gravel. If the brick is loose, just pull up and put it back down. If it has concrete between maybe not so easy, but maybe trench around it. You don't have to go in a straight line you know. As far as the gravel goes that is easy, just trench and refill. The gray PVC for electric lines is very cheap and easy to lay down. I used it for lights to my shed.

Just about your only options at this time.

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I may just have to succumb and bury the cable.

Re the cost of ISDN, it adds up - I pay Sprint (Embarq or whatever they are now) $50 a month for the 128K set up. Then I pay my ISP $29 a month. But, they also host two websites for me and I get that at a very cheap rate as I have the ISDN package). Also, they are a local ISP - excellent support and literally just down the road.

My main (but rare) gripe with ISDN is that thunderstorms seem to upset it at the telco end and I have put in a call to get the switch reset...usually happens on the weekend and I have to wait until Monday...

I live in a rural area, so I don't expect Time Warner or any of the DSL outfits to come knocking any time soon.

Still, if I have a critical need for a fast download, I can just go to our local coffee shop or pharmacy and hook into their wireless network for free (with their permission, of course!)

I mentioned Siemens earlier - on their European website, they have all kinds of interesting stuff for ISDN expansion but not on the US site. Perhaps ISDN + US is too 'metric'(!)
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
My main (but rare) gripe with ISDN is that thunderstorms seem to upset it at the telco end and I have put in a call to get the switch reset...usually happens on the weekend and I have to wait until Monday...
Happens to me with DSL also.

Quote:
I mentioned Siemens earlier - on their European website, they have all kinds of interesting stuff for ISDN expansion but not on the US site. Perhaps ISDN + US is too 'metric'(!)
I think it's because ISDN was/is too expensive and has been supplanted in many areas by other less expensive broadband technologies.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I may just have to succumb and bury the cable.

Re the cost of ISDN, it adds up - I pay Sprint (Embarq or whatever they are now) $50 a month for the 128K set up. Then I pay my ISP $29 a month. But, they also host two websites for me and I get that at a very cheap rate as I have the ISDN package). Also, they are a local ISP - excellent support and literally just down the road.

I live in a rural area, so I don't expect Time Warner or any of the DSL outfits to come knocking any time soon.

Still, if I have a critical need for a fast download, I can just go to our local coffee shop or pharmacy and hook into their wireless network for free (with their permission, of course!)

John, I feel your pain. I've been reading, with great interest, your whoa's with ISDN. We live about 11 miles from the nearest switch (40 miles from town). I don't know how I was able to do it, but I talked Ma Bell into running ISDN out here to us. Of course, we're paying for it now. Our bill is about $60 to Bell and $98 to my ISP, although the ISP is giving me a "deal" on the business ISDN package they offer. They let me stay online 24/7 for my house/security cams and have a commercial site they host, so I guess it all comes around.

The line comes straight to a box underneath the house (we're on stilts) and I run Cat5 to inside to the ISDN (LinkSys) modem/router. I'd like to know what solution you're using for wireless within the house. I've got a LinkSys wireless router but, everytime I try to use it, it's trying to take over the IP assignments on our po'dunk network and, invariably, only one machine can log on. So, we've got 3 systems WIRED in to the modem.

Have fun with the DitchWitch! Gonna run conduit, too?
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:30 AM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
I've been reading, with great interest, your whoa's with ISDN.
Heh, most of us have "woes," but in Texas you've got "whoas" ;-)

Wow, that's an awful lot of $$$ to pay for a slow internet connection. You really might want to investigate the satellite service I described above. For $100/mo I'm getting better than 1.5mbs down and 256kbs up with a fixed IP address. AFAIK there's not limitation to how long you can stay online either, the modem/router is on 24/7.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:09 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
John, I feel your pain. I've been reading, with great interest, your whoa's with ISDN. We live about 11 miles from the nearest switch (40 miles from town). I don't know how I was able to do it, but I talked Ma Bell into running ISDN out here to us. Of course, we're paying for it now. Our bill is about $60 to Bell and $98 to my ISP, although the ISP is giving me a "deal" on the business ISDN package they offer. They let me stay online 24/7 for my house/security cams and have a commercial site they host, so I guess it all comes around.

The line comes straight to a box underneath the house (we're on stilts) and I run Cat5 to inside to the ISDN (LinkSys) modem/router. I'd like to know what solution you're using for wireless within the house. I've got a LinkSys wireless router but, everytime I try to use it, it's trying to take over the IP assignments on our po'dunk network and, invariably, only one machine can log on. So, we've got 3 systems WIRED in to the modem.

Have fun with the DitchWitch! Gonna run conduit, too?
I started with a Linksys ISDN modem/router connected to a Adtran ISDN TA. The 230kbps serial connection was unreliable and I would have to keep rebooting the system. Likewise, a DIVA T/A ISDN modem was problematic with the same router. Linksys tried to help - sent me beta firmware to try etc but it didn't help. Now I have a laptop slaving away as a Wingate server. It is hardwired to a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point. The DIVA ISDN unit connects via the laptop's serial port (actually, via a USB/serial adapter since the built-in serial only goes to 115kbps). This is all in the office above the garage. There is also a wireless repeater in the living room in the house so basically we can set up anywhere.

And it runs $$$ but since both my wife and myself run businesses, we can at least write off some of the cost. Like you, I have unlimited bandwidth, 24/7 connection etc. What I do like about ISDN is that I also get two new phone lines - one is for a fax. The T/A takes care of the the bandwidth allocation etc.

The problem with satellite is that I'd have to either change my web host or pay even more to keep the same host. None of the satellite ISPs offer the service my ISP do and I have a need for IPSEC-based VPN. Very sluggish via satellite. Plus - I can't stand it when a little rain drops the signal!

"Why live with cable?" - I can think of many reasons!

I'm waiting for the high altitude drones that are supposed to have been launched to provide low-latency, cheap broadband from the skies...haven't heard much about them for a while, though.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media