David Mamet vs. Hollywood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Wrangler

David Mamet vs. Hollywood

Sounds like his new book would make a great movie! ;-)

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/16/mam...mametbook.html

Quote:
Mamet's advice for surviving in this rank swamp is equally brutal. "Feel free to treat everyone like scum," he deadpans, "and should they rise to wealth and power, any past civility shown toward them will either be forgotten, or remembered as some aberrant and contemptible display of weakness."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I read the book a few weeks ago. It's very entertaining and he even provides the long-lost screenwriting secret of the incas and explains why Galaxy Quest is a perfect movie.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Galaxy Quest?! That's surprising to me.

heath
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

That movie is perfect, as is The Fifth Element.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Mamet is arguing that Galaxy Quest is perfect in terms of dramatic structure.

A perfect film, he writes, starts ". . . with a simple premise and then proceeds logically, and inevitably, toward a conclusions that is both exciting and inevitable . . . . A washed-up bunch of television actors curse the long-gone success of their show; it has mired them in supermarket openings, portraying cut-out heros; they are given the chance to inhabit that fantasy turned real and discover, in themselves, real heroism."

Story is told without fat, that is, without any extra scences to distract the audience's attention from the plot.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'll probably catch heat for this but, those movies (Galaxy Quest and The Fifth Element) are two of my all time favorites. I own both of them.

Just simply well done. Besides, the girl from The Fifth Element can stay with me anytime! What a great job of appealing to the protective nature of the human male.

Mike

P.S.: Just ordered the book.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; March 21st, 2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: PS
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Guys I like the Fifth Element okay, but perfect? No way!

I've never been good with the in-depth critical film analysis, but at the very least, that movie is tonally uneven, which I really despis.

What I mean is, for 2/3 of its length or so, it's a fairly campy film, lots of humor mixed in with the action/light drama. Toward the end, the humor goes away and it gets very serious. What's up with that?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Guys I like the Fifth Element okay, but perfect? No way!

I've never been good with the in-depth critical film analysis, but at the very least, that movie is tonally uneven, which I really despis.

What I mean is, for 2/3 of its length or so, it's a fairly campy film, lots of humor mixed in with the action/light drama. Toward the end, the humor goes away and it gets very serious. What's up with that?
It's the end of the world, for real! And, there was humor toward the end too. Remember Mom's phone call! :)

I still love it! Big bad-a-boom!

Mike
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

I don't remember that bit, actually.

Not saying there weren't a few jokes in that last act (I rememeber the awkward sex scene at the end), but compared to the tone of the first 2/3 of the movie, it's pretty different.

Art School Confidential is another example--

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

Starts out as a pretty decent piece of intelligent comedy/satire, then becomes a very serious drama/murder mystery halfway through.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
I've never been good with the in-depth critical film analysis...
I had to take a Film Theory class...Ugh! Talk about really getting into a movie a little too much. I received an A- in the class, but for a long time, I couldn't look at movies the same way. I would just start analyzing it.

heath
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I had to take a Film Theory class...Ugh! Talk about really getting into a movie a little too much. I received an A- in the class, but for a long time, I couldn't look at movies the same way. I would just start analyzing it.

heath

That's the problem in getting into this. You start to analize things too much. I remember back in the 70's when I ran the post theater in Germany, and I learned about cues and reels etc., and since then I could not watch a move without out looking for the cues and such. That was very minor compared to what I look for now!!!!!!!!!

Now you/I can tear everything apart. OK, so most of it needs to be torn apart. But, sometimes you just want to enjoy the movie!

Mike
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

I was a film student and a film projectionist in film school a decade ago. No one liked going to the movies, because I'd comment on the way they shot it to how the theatre presented it. Usually said comments were negative. The film theory class was last year, before I graduated. Whew, that was a tough class.

heath
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Toward the end, the humor goes away and it gets very serious. What's up with that?
A lot like life one might say.

I liked the 5th Element, but it's not mentioned in Mamet's book. He kindly has a list of all the films mentioned as an appendix.
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #14
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
I'll probably catch heat for this but, those movies (Galaxy Quest and The Fifth Element) are two of my all time favorites. I own both of them.
Ditto. They're absolutely diverting and I can watch either more than once. 90 minutes of sheer fun.

OTOH, I think Miller's Crossing is pefect. I could watch that almost daily.
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Major Player

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/...ford_ads_mamet

Now he's directing commercials for Ford Motor Co.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media