Something of interest at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 29th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Something of interest

http://www.dvline.com/cfwebstore/pag...dvmagazine.htm

Originally posted by the member skyonic at dv.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #2
Trustee

Why would this be of interest?
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:28 AM   #3
Outer Circle

I found it interesting reading because it's about the mag that houses our lovely little chat cafe.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #4
Wrangler

Sounds a lot like somebody whining because their products aren't getting noticed by DV. What a shame, one less ad to read...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #5
Contributor

Yeah, sounds to me like the company is just another overpriced equipment dealer who thinks that if he buys ads he should get a free article about his business. There are enough rags out there that do that as a matter of course; I'm glad DV doesn't...at least not blatantly. I've written articles for trade journals before (not in this industry), and one time my client bought the inside front cover for a year, and the magazine published every article I wrote. You buy an ad, we'll publish your article--that's the way it works too often. Hopefully DV will retain a little bit of integrity. Probably not all that much, but some.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Or even worse......

When I worked for Intel I was interviewed in a trade publication for a story regarding international trade and the economics of shipping products overseas for assembly. Which, in turn comes back to the USA for retail sales.....blah-blah-blah
They tried to get us to advertise in the mag as part of the deal, but we didn't.

Of course we required the "right to edit" prior to publishing.
Needless to say the author published without the gaggle of legal eagles pouring over it 1st........

I can't say what really happened, but let's say it was pretty excruciating for the publication.

I've often wondered why I still get a free copy every month.... <;~)
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Contributor

I think if I were the editor of DV Magazine I'd be proud that the guy was mad because, as an advertiser, he didn't get his article. Of course, the ad manager most likely doesn't feel the same way. Hell, these days when you don't get journalistic integrity in news (Fox, MSNBC), why should it be expected with trade journals.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Not really of interest, I say

I was going to say "the guy needs to grow up" but I note that the posting is almost two years old. Maybe he has.

Anyway, he misses the point. I was the editor-in-chief of PC Tech Journal in the '80s. There were many advertisers whose products we never reviewed. They kept buying ads because we delivered an audience. Sure, they would have liked reviews (although some advertised products were outside our editorial purview), but they liked leads more.

If he had said his investment in advertising wasn't paying off, that I could understand. Saying that the magazine never wrote about his products was, as has been mentioned, just whining.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media