Bottle Rocket (original and remake) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bottle Rocket (original and remake)

Has anyone seen both versions of Bottle Rocket?

It's amazing to see the jump in production quality between the two versions...though the content is good in both. How in the world does an inexperienced, young director go from low quality home movie production to a Hollywood production in two years?
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

Fortunately, Polly Platt saw through the low-budget exterior and recognized Wes Anderson's talent, and the rest is history! It just goes to show that making a killer short is possibly the best way in to the industry these days; there have been quite a few stories just like this. The crew that was assembled for "Bottle Rocket", including production designer David Wasco and cinematographer Bob Yeoman, have continued with Wes for all three of his films, and for me make a huge contribution to the success of his pictures.

But where did you see the original short, John? I would love to check it out. "Bottle Rocket" is one of my favorites.

"He's out. You're out, too. And I don't think I'm in, either. No gang!"

"Ca-Cawww!"
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

"How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?"

There are so many good lines in that movie, you'd practically have to paste the whole script here.

Charles, I saw the original online, then ordered the DVD of the remake. I just tried to find the original film I watched online again for you...but can't find it anywhere. Dang.

I wonder how Polly Platt saw the original? Was it submitted...or shown at a festival? It's amazing that anyone in the biz would've watched the original long enough to see how great it is...since the production quality was so low. The dialogue does grab you right away, though.

"Wasco"...I wondered where they came up with the name "Wasco State Penitentiary." (I recognized the jail where they filmed that...it's off IH35 between Austin and San Marcos...and knew that wasn't the real name)
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The interesting thing about Wes Anderson's movies for me and a lot of people, is that they are so much better when seen twice, or even three times. It takes a second viewing for me to really let the script and dry humor sink in. Rushmore and the Royal Tenebaums are brilliant films IMO. I've seen Bottle Rocket once. I couldn't really follow the plot, but I'm sure if I saw it again I would pick up on things. I'd love to see the original short as well.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

John, that line about the kitchen is one that I have used many times since as an example of brilliant writing (or maybe it was a crack improv, someday I may find out which)...you never see the kitchen, you never care if you see the kitchen, you can barely hear that line spoken (had to crank the volume AND activate the subtitle feature) but man, how funny is that?

I believe Polly Platt saw it at a festival.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media