Miller's Arrow 30 still made?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Miller's Arrow 30 still made??

Hi,

I'm interested in trying and possibly buying an Arrow 30. It's proven hard to find one at any of the "go-to" places here in LA, so... does Miller still make it? Anyone know?

I'm trying an Arrow 25 and other brands, but the 30 has a perfect payload range for my needs....

Thanks,
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

miller arrow 30

it is no longer made as i just purchased the arrow 25 which will counter balance up to 31 lbs i am now using a setup with close to 18lbs and it is fantastic with the arrow 25 much better than the sachtler, vinten, oconnor and cartoni i have owned in the past
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Have you ever tried a lighter (5lb+/-) camera on your Arrow 25?

I own an HVX200, with a total package weight of about 8lbs-- the bottom of the 25's range. I also work with larger cameras, as well as much lighter cameras than my hvx, so I need a good payload range...
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin View Post
Hi Mark,

Have you ever tried a lighter (5lb+/-) camera on your Arrow 25?

I own an HVX200, with a total package weight of about 8lbs-- the bottom of the 25's range. I also work with larger cameras, as well as much lighter cameras than my hvx, so I'm looking for a good payload range...
Sachtler DV6SB, Vinten3, Gitzo 1380, Cartoni Focus.
All of these are from 2lbs to 22 lbs.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Laszlo,

I'm looking for a range of about 5-30 lbs. I have tried the Sachtler 8/100 and 12-- both are great heads, as is the Cartoni Laser. The Arrow 30 has exactly the range I was looking for with a good track record... I'll see what I can find...
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Matt........

Why don't you fire an e - mail to Miller, they're great guys to deal with and may be able to point you to a re - con unit somewhere.

Worth a try.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin View Post
Thank you Laszlo,

I'm looking for a range of about 5-30 lbs. I have tried the Sachtler 8/100 and 12-- both are great heads, as is the Cartoni Laser. The Arrow 30 has exactly the range I was looking for with a good track record... I'll see what I can find...
Well.... I tried. If you looking for a higher end systems the Sachtler DV15SB are great. Capacity: 2-35lbs. And very pricey.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

miller arrow 30

as i only have the hvx200 i have not tried a 5 lb camera on the miller arrow 25 but my guess is that it won't counter balance the lighter camera properly without the addition of a little more weight but it will be close one thing you can do is add weight to the inside of the pan arm which will act as a nice counter balance to a lighter camera
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you all for the help.
After some playing, I ended up plopping a few grand on a Cartoni Laser and a set Miller Solo sticks. Great head, incredible tripod!
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

do you already have the head as i would be interested in how you like the counter balance system and how the head reacts with 15-18 lbs of weight
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #11
Major Player

I spent quite a while at Abel with a demo Laser (and other heads), loaded with my HVX setup as well as an F-350 they had on the floor.
I really appreciate Cartoni's counterbalance "logic"-- Like the drag adjustments, the CB is continuous and smooth allowing for much finer tuning and biasing than with an Arrow or Sachtler. Very smooth and simple for my (+/-) 8lb HVX setup as well as the F-350 (15 lb??).

I tried an Arrow as well-- fantastic feel, and VERY solid. I wasn't a fan of the click steps on drag and C/B. The Cartoni was natural to me.
The Laser feels very wet, which I personally love, and much like the heavier Sigma-- a head that has lured a couple operators I know away from OConnor's 2575.

I'm picking up my Laser in a week, right before I leave for a week-long shoot. I'll try to follow up with a field report on the head and sticks for those interested when I return.

I'm curious to see how it handles a 16mm camera like an XTR or SRIII....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads