EX1 Tripod selection - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #196
Regular Crew

If you decided to go with FSB6 - take the FSB6 T (touch and go). The camera plate is small and fit perfect under the Sony EX1.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #197
Major Player

I might disagree with Tuy a little bit. I got the FSB6, but I got it with this head option:
Sachtler | 0407 FSB-6 Fluid Head | 0407 | B&H Photo Video

which allows an additional 2" of travel forward and back which comes in handy if I hang a heavy wideangle adapter on the front or if I put the bigger battery on the back. It just gives me more options for balancing the whole rig.

Also, Sachtler just introduced an FSB 7 model, but I'm unsure of the price.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #198
Regular Crew

Looking for a Tripod for my SONY EX1, help needed.

I am the proud owner of a SONY EX1.

I am in need of a new heavy duty tripod that can pan up and down, and from side to side extremely smooth.

Any recommendations of a great tripod under $1,000 USD ??
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #199
Regular Crew

I'm a huge fan of Sachtler, although I would definitely prefer a Video20, but that's out of your range... This is a nice head with decent sticks, but depending on your camera set-up you might get too heavy for it's 8.8lbs weight limit:
Sachtler | 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System | 0372 | B&H Photo

If you have plenty of accessories on your camera weighing it down then this Leibec set-up it pretty nice, although I've only used this particular head once. It was, however, with no complaints. 17lbs weight limit:
Libec | LS-38M(2A) Professional Tripod System | LS-38M(2A) | B&H

Then there is of course always the Manfrotto 501HDV. You can just do a search on B&H for that one, it has more packages then I can count, some with good sticks, others with terrible ones! (EDIT: Alrighty, you've twisted my leg; Aluminum Sticks or Carbon Fiber. I personally am not a huge fan of Manfrotto heads, but others swear by them. The old 501 would pan and tilt smooth enough but always had a sticky start. That may have been fixed with the newer 501HDV, but in any case I'd always recommend to try before you buy! You can always head to your local rental shop and just ask to try out a few different sets and see what you like...
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #200
Sponsor: Westside AV

The Miller Solo tripods are great and very light.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #201
Regular Crew

As Olaf said, Miller tripods are very good. I have a DS-20 which is slightly more expensive but it can handle more weight such as a Monitor etc.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #202
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! I have been looking around for great heavy duty tripod with a smooth fluid head.

See I have a decent tripod with a fluid head, however when I am zoomed all the in on a subject as soon as I touch or adjust focusing, you see much jitter and shakiness.

I have the image stabilizer enabled, but it stills looks shaky when you very lightly touch the cam when zoomed all the way.

Will a much heavier more stable Tripod help eliminate this problem?
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #203
Major Player

If you are looking for "extremely smooth" in all directions you may have to bump up your baseline pricing.

The recommendations have been Sachtler and Miller. They cost more than a thousand but if you buy a Manfrotto tripod/head and then use a Miller or a Sachtler you will end up kicking yourself for not saving up for something that much better. The difference is HUGE.

Go to a camera shop with your EX1 and try them out. The sales reps shouldn't mind.

Buy your tripod thinking it will outlive your camera. It affects EVERY shot. Again it affects every shot.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #204
Major Player

Another thing you can do is buy a good zoom controller (I like the Varizoom Pro EX because it has a handle and variable speed control wheel) and disconnect it from the tripod while you use it on critical shots. Set up your shot. Lock it down. Start/stop/zoom with the Pro EX. Vibration gone.

I use the Sachtler FSB 8, by the way. Smooth as butter. Even so, I still use the rubber band trick on pans and tilts.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #205
Major Player

MATHEWS makes a good light weight tripod.

Matthews | M25 Tripod System | M25 | B&H Photo Video
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #206
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Another thing you can do is buy a good zoom controller (I like the Varizoom Pro EX because it has a handle and variable speed control wheel) and disconnect it from the tripod while you use it on critical shots. Set up your shot. Lock it down. Start/stop/zoom with the Pro EX. Vibration gone.

I use the Sachtler FSB 8, by the way. Smooth as butter. Even so, I still use the rubber band trick on pans and tilts.
Ha ha ha I use the rubber band trick as well. I learned it from youtube about two years ago.
Makes it look like a real motorized pan. Rubber bands are great!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads