EX1 Tripod selection - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #76
Major Player

gitzo and b&h

alex,

since you're at westchester, go to B&H and try out all the legs and video heads they have on display. the pro video section also have them with camcorders and stuff. many reps are there to help too.

i just got the EX1 and ordered the 503HDV manfrotto head to go with either Gitzo 3540LS or Gitzo 3530S legs. both legs can handle 39lbs and the 503HDV can do 17.6lbs. that's plenty for my EX1, even with shotgun, lights, remote, and shade.

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #77
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
alex,

since you're at westchester, go to B&H and try out all the legs and video heads they have on display. the pro video section also have them with camcorders and stuff. many reps are there to help too.

i just got the EX1 and ordered the 503HDV manfrotto head to go with either Gitzo 3540LS or Gitzo 3530S legs. both legs can handle 39lbs and the 503HDV can do 17.6lbs. that's plenty for my EX1, even with shotgun, lights, remote, and shade.

paul
I will undoubtedly be trying out whatever tripod is recommended to me before I purchase -- however want some advice for some people who have used them in the field to see how they hold up/perform in real world situations (not the bh floor).
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Sachtler FSB 6 (I have) or maybe DV 6 head. I have the quick expanding legs (forget the name) but the SOOM legs seem interesting/versatile.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #79
New Boot

I could be wrong but isn't the FSB an extra few hundred from the cost of the cartoni?

Normally I wouldn't care -- but this budget is tighttttttttttttttt.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #80
Inner Circle

I'm not sure how Sachtler FSB compares to an equivalent Cartoni but the FSB series is less expensive than the Sachtler DV series. My head and legs were about $1700 at B&H.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Hi
I worked with a Manfrotto 501 for years. It was ok. Not perfect, but ok.
Yesterday I got my Sachtler DV6 with CF legs. Boy-oh-boy - it's another world! Yes, it's in a much higher price range, but it's also... just professional gear and I love to work with it (had a shooting today)!
Rainer Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #82
Regular Crew

I have a DS20 Solo DV Carbon Fibre System. Amazing tripod!

http://www.miller.com.au/products.cf...&productID=181

I bought it at Abel Cine Tech

http://www.abelcine.com/store/home.php

Cost was $1,475, not including shipping.

I run an EX1 with Letus Extreme and the Letus rails.

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM   #83
Major Player

I was in a similar boat a few weeks ago.
Plenty of Google searches.

In the end I went with the Gitzo 1380 head and the Gitzo 3531LSV legs. I know Gitzo legs are great and everyone who owns a 1380 head loves it.

B&H. Still waiting on both.

As mentioned, I would go to B&H.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in the mix. I'm not one with deep pockets either but finally sucked it up and got the Sachtler FSB-6 with the carbon fiber legs and can't recommend it enough. The head is just amazing and a great investment.

- Ray
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #85
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Scott Karlins;881814]I have a DS20 Solo DV Carbon Fibre System. Amazing tripod!

I TOTALLY AGREE... I took the recommendation from Steve Gibby who is a 30+ year pro for the best run and gun system for the RED and even better for the Sony since its a bit lighter.

I could not recommend it more, very good head and light. You can add weight to it for more inertia and better performance. MILLER is one of the best manufactures are well known in Hollywood. Bogan has always got mixed reviews and is more pro-sumer... but its up to you. You get what you pay for in this case.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #86
Major Player

To Scott and Gregg - ref, the Miller Solo CF legs:

How is the folded length? I am trying to find good CF legs that can be attached with bungees to my old Kata backpack. I will be shooting by myself in a remote part of Asia in October.
I hear many knocking the single tube, but I also see many good reviews of the Solo legs.
With the Miller head, how is the total weight-length? and finally do you know the merits of the DS10 versus the DS20
Thanks.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM   #87
Trustee

miller is perfect tripod for ex1
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #88
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
To Scott and Gregg - ref, the Miller Solo CF legs:

How is the folded length? I am trying to find good CF legs that can be attached with bungees to my old Kata backpack. I will be shooting by myself in a remote part of Asia in October.
I hear many knocking the single tube, but I also see many good reviews of the Solo legs.
With the Miller head, how is the total weight-length? and finally do you know the merits of the DS10 versus the DS20
Thanks.

We'd have maybe six DS10 Solos, work very nicely with EX1. The DS20 might be too much head for the EX1. Unlike some of the more expensive heads Millers heads don't adjust down to zero counterbalance so pick a head that matches the weight of your rig. And it'll be lighter to carry too.
The Solo legs are fairly short when retracted so tying them to a backpack is feasible. The good things is they also go quite high and the extra height can come in handy and don't forget you can lock the legs out at crazy angles which is usefull in rough terrain and awkward situations.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM   #89
Major Player

[QUOTE=Greg Voevodsky;881938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Karlins View Post
I have a DS20 Solo DV Carbon Fibre System. Amazing tripod!

I could not recommend it more, very good head and light. You can add weight to it for more inertia and better performance. MILLER is one of the best manufactures are well known in Hollywood. Bogan has always got mixed reviews and is more pro-sumer... but its up to you. You get what you pay for in this case.

I will throw my vote in for the Miller Solo DV as well. I have the 10 and wish that I had gotten the 20.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #90
Major Player

i had a gitzo g1380 head years ago, and i really liked it -- heavy for a smaller head, nice and smooth, and built for war. i remember gitzo used to offer a spring kit separately but it was pricey and i haven't seen it sold since then. a colleague had a fixed spring g1380 a few years back, and i remember he was having a hard time figuring out how to swap the springs in his model, or even if he could do it.

i'm currently using a cartoni focus which has worked well for me, and it handles my 14-15lb rig nicely. good head for the money, but the 22lb capacity spec is a bit optimistic i think.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads