EX1 Tripod selection - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Major Player

This is the quick release and plate system that I use on my heavy duty tripod when I am using the small camera instead of the shoulder camera. It uses the same plate that came with the Bogen 503.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

I don't use the 503 much anymore unless I am hiking in a good distance.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #17
Trustee

all tripods have a basic plate. The vintens with the vc14u sony plate are no exception. look underneath the sony plate and there is the standard sony plate. You can screw that onto the underside of the ex1 and you can then use the vinten tripod
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Regular Crew

tripod plate mounting holes...

Hi,

I have just been reading up on the z7 and apparently it has two mounting holes on the bottom for mounting the tripod plate - I assume they are two threaded holes giving a firmer connection - this is great feature in my opinion.

What about the X1 does it have two threaded holes? Or just one threaded and one non- threaded hole (like most sony cams)?

thanks.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #19
Major Player

One threaded hole (1/4-20) and one non-threaded registration hole.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #20
Regular Crew

thank you.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Manfrotto 503HDV vs Sachtler FSB6 or ? for Sony EX1

I have Sony PMW-EX1 so that's the weight class I'm working with.

It's nearly impossible for me to find Tripod/Head reviews anywhere so I toss it open to my trusted colleagues. I'm posting here rather than EX1 forum because I hope get a broader response than just EX1 users.

Manfrotto 503HDV vs Sachtler FSB6 (or comparable) should give you an idea of my price range to.

With no reviews to read and sales people who can only describe Sachtler as "better" in some abstract sense (and "better" might simply mean more commission) I turn to you.

So what are your experiences with either both positive and negative?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Have you considered the Vinten Vision 3? There are a lot of threads here about it.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel:

I could be mistaken but the Vision 3 is a Bogen 503. It's at least the same castings and look, not sure about the internals. That's what disappoints me about the new Vintens, all of their low end are basically re-badged Bogens.

There is no comparison between a Bogen and a Sachtler. The Sachtler is a true fluid head, has multiple levels of counterbalance tension. I own a Bogen 501, have shot with the 503 for years and also own a Sachtler DV-6SB. If you can afford the Sachtler, get it. If not, the Bogen is the consolation prize ;-( If you can't pay for a Sachtler, at least step up to a Cartoni Focus, it's better than a Bogen and probably the best under $1,000.00 head.

Good luck,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #24
Trustee

I just looked at the Sachtler FSB-6 at a show. I was extremely impressed. This is the head I mean. It comes with several different legs. The Carbon Fiber legs are very nice:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

I have a Cartoni and a Gitzo. The first thing I noticed about the Sachtler is that you can tighten and loosen the locking screws, and nothing moves, unlike many tripods that jump a little, no matter how careful you are.

I was told that this head is a replacement of the DV heads sold previously by Sachtler. The Vitec sales people said they very much like this head and did not like the ones that have been discontinued.

It works perfectly, and much better than the Bogen (or even the Cartoni) in ways that can't really be described.

For HDV, and any telephoto shots, the benefits of the Sacthler are significant. And as tripods go, the price on the FSb-6 (with legs... you only save about $200 by not getting the legs) is reasonable.

I have been looking at every head I can for the past few years. For HDV this Sachtler is the first I've seen at a midlevel/high price that is worth it. (I think there are a large number of under $1000 heads that are not worth their price and new users quickly discover, to their dismay, their limitations.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I could be mistaken but the Vision 3 is a Bogen 503. It's at least the same castings and look, not sure about the internals. That's what disappoints me about the new Vintens, all of their low end are basically re-badged Bogens.
Dan
The Vision 3 is actually a true Vinten, not a re-badged Bogen. The models that have the similar castings are the "Pro" series. The Vision series are quite nice fluid heads (I've used an older Vision 10, and it truly was lovely).
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I got the Sachtler FSB-6 with 2 Stage Carbon Fiber Speed Lock Legs. Very nice system and just a bit less expensive than the DV 6SB

http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id...85&exp_cid=109
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Major Player

The Sachtler will kick the Manfrottos behind six days to sunday.

get it.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Had a Vision 3 before moving to something a bit bigger and it was really nice - very similar to the bigger ones I have now - a HUGE improvement on the manfrotto 503/513 types. I've still got a couple of those in the store - superficially you think they are not too bad till your realise the extra force you have to apply to start a movement isn't the same on 'real' heads.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #29
Major Player

Craig, Have you even been able to see the FSB-6? I tried B&H but they don't have one on the floor and don't seem to sell the head by itself.

I, too, am reluctant to buy without seeing the darn thing!
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #30
Inner Circle

They do have the DV 6SB with the same carbon fiber legs on the floor. The significant differences are the horizontal and vertical adjustments go from 0 to 3 instead of 0 to 5 so the adjustment is a little bit coarser. The DV 6SB also has "Touch & Go" plate and can hold a heavier camera. Price difference is about $300 at B&H.

I checked the Sachtler site before I bought so I knew the differences.

FSB6
http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id...lag=tech_facts

DVSB6
http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id...lag=tech_facts

FSB6
Weight 2 kg / 4.4 lb
Payload 1 - 6 kg / 2.2 - 13.2 lb
Sliding range - plate 120 mm / 4.7 in
Counterbalance in 10 steps
Grades of drag 3 each horizontal and vertical + 0
Tilt range +90/-70°
Temperature range -40° to +60° C / -40 to +140° F
Camera fitting Sideload plate S
Tripod/Pedestal fitting 75 mm bowl, integrated flat base fitting
Pan bar(s) 1, Type DV 75
Level self-illuminating Touch Bubble
Batteries Level 1x CR2032

DV6SB
Weight 2.4 kg / 5.3 lb
Payload 1 - 9 kg / 2.2 - 20 lb
Sliding range - plate 60 mm / 2.4 in
Counterbalance in 10 steps
Grades of drag 5 each horizontal and vertical + 0
Tilt range +90/-75°
Temperature range -40° to +60° C / -40 to +140° F
Camera fitting Touch & Go® Plate DV
Tripod/Pedestal fitting 75 mm bowl, integrated flat base fitting
Pan bar(s) 1, Type DV 75
Level self-illuminating Touch Bubble
Batteries Level 1 x CR2032
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads