Manfrotto 519 or Gitzo 1380 - best bang for the bucks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Manfrotto 519 or Gitzo 1380 - best bang for the bucks

Ok, I decided to forget the 503 head and to go with something more serious.

I want to stay bellow 1000$ for the head.

Which one is better to go with an XL2 camera? I will use the camera in both body and lens only and camera, matte box on rails and wireless receiver configurations.

These two heads share some features like the load capacity (2 lb to 22lb).

The 519 is 130$ cheaper, which is something important to consider for me.

Is the 519 a good purchase or should I go with the Gitzo and nothing less?
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

go manfrotto

I own the 519 and I like that it only has 2 interchangable springs instead of the six on the Gitzo. It's hard enough keeping track of the one extra spring, but where do you keep the other 5?
Another nice thing about Manfrotto is that the accessories are cheaper than Gitzo. You can get a longer sliding camera plate to better balance your camera if necessary, or a 75mm to 100mm adapter ring to use the head on a bigger bowl tripod for very reasonable cost.

chris/Wash. DC
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Trustee

If the $100 makes a big difference, perhaps this used Gitzo from B&H for $699 might be of interest:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/2...luid_Head.html
(I would make sure that it comes with all the springs.)

I have a Gitzo 1380. I have an added long tripod plate, that I believe is Bogen. I think the Bogen and Gitzo plates are interchangeable. However, I have a couple of Bogen pan bars that do not fit the Gitzo.

I bought my Gitzo used from a private party. The head works very well. However, I have no experience with the Bogen you mention. I see that the Bogen is 1.4 llbs. heavier than the Gitzo, if that is a concern.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Gitzo, Gitzo and again GITZO. I had two, I sold them for different reason and I tell you I like them better then the Sachtler DV6SB. I'm serious.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
Gitzo, Gitzo and again GITZO. I had two, I sold them for different reason and I tell you I like them better then the Sachtler DV6SB. I'm serious.

Laszlo
Tell me more, Laszlo. In what ways is the Gitzo better than Sachtler? Ordered the Sachtler but also considering a Miller DS20 instead. Not too late to change my mind (all the suppliers in the US seem to be out of inventory).
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
Tell me more, Laszlo. In what ways is the Gitzo better than Sachtler? Ordered the Sachtler but also considering a Miller DS20 instead. Not too late to change my mind (all the suppliers in the US seem to be out of inventory).
Bill, the Sachtler DV6 SB is nice and light. Lighter then the Gitzo. For me that's it. The Gitzo 1380 IS a smoother, better fluid head. Feel like a Vinten Vision 6. Extremely well built, the Sachtler is feel cheap compare to the Sachtler. I used higher end Sachtlers Those good, but not these "lower end" Sachtlers.
The main reason for me to sell my first Sachtler DV6SB (beside I need it the money) beacause the counterbalance and the drug adjusters are working by "steps" I can't set it up with my JVC HD110 with small IDX battery. CB 3 was too light CB 4 was too strong, camera always kicked back. When I loaded my camera with my PAG light, bigger battery, focus puller, CB 5 was too week, camera tilted on his own, CB 6 was too strong camera always kicked back.
I sold it, because I need it the money. That was a main reason, but I didn't had a sorry at all.
On the other end the Gitzo is a bit heavier, extremely well built, like a tank. I used them for several years, and no one paint chip, scratch or any damage on it. (same with the Gitzo aluminum legs)
The drug for tilt and pan are continuously adjustable, (variable) When I find the right spring for my setup my HD110 is always stud in any position, I mean ANY position with out any drug added. I can moved the pan handle with one finger -up or down- the camera moved, just how I want it. No more, no less.
Guys, the Gitzo 1380 is the most underrated fluid head on the market.
I sold both of them (now I have two Vision 6) and both buyer wrote back and they are VERY happy with them. Both of them used the word: smooooth
I also own a Miller DS10. It's a nice little and light fluid head, I like it, but not in the same category with the Gitzo. I bought it for smaller camera. I think the DS20 is a same head but for a little bit heavier cameras. But again nice, light head, but not even close to the Gitzo.
I think the higher end $7000+ Sachtlers are nice, but anything under, just forget it and spend your money for a Gitzo, or Vinten. These heads have continuously adjustable drug setting, the Sachtlers don't.
But this is my opinion, for sure some Sachtler fans do not agree with me.
Also I just let you know I selling my second Sachtler DV6SB. Brand new, never opened, sealed in the Sachtler box. DV6-SB CF Speed Lock legs, mid spreader, soft case.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I too am interested in the differences between the 2 heads. I'm in the market for a sub $1000 head.

Also, can anyone give some comparisons between the 519 and 503HDV (currently have)? Is there a huge difference?
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
The main reason for me to sell my first Sachtler DV6SB (beside I need it the money) beacause the counterbalance and the drug adjusters are working by "steps" I can't set it up with my JVC HD110 with small IDX battery. CB 3 was too light CB 4 was too strong, camera always kicked back. When I loaded my camera with my PAG light, bigger battery, focus puller, CB 5 was too week, camera tilted on his own, CB 6 was too strong camera always kicked back.
I experienced exactly the same you describe with a Sachtler DV8. I don't know Gitzo tripods, they're not much used in Europe. Sachtler has this counterbalance problem but I can't agree with you about it's built quality, Sachtler heads have great quality and are very robust. I've been using them for years and never had nothing to complaint about.

That Gitzo head may be good, but I wouldn't chose a tripod that needs spring exchanges to counterbalance. If you put or remove an accessorie the weight will change and the spring will have to be changed. For that reazon I didn't buy a Vision 3, the Vision 6 was too expensive and I ended up with a Cartoni Focus. Very smooth and precise with continuous counterbalance adjustment, however built quality and weight could be improved. The plate release system is also not so good, it's fast but for sliding the camera it unlocks the plate and the camera must be grabed or it will fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huebbe View Post
I too am interested in the differences between the 2 heads. I'm in the market for a sub $1000 head.

Also, can anyone give some comparisons between the 519 and 503HDV (currently have)? Is there a huge difference?
I had a 503 (not the HDV) for my HD100 and it was the worst thing I ever bought. It is not a really fluid head, I think the 519 is.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia View Post
Sachtler has this counterbalance problem but I can't agree with you about it's built quality, Sachtler heads have great quality and are very robust.
Diogo, when you have a chance and you can hold a Gitzo 1380 in your hand, you'll see what I talk about. It's built like a TANK.
Also I hold the Sachtler Video 20 SB in my hand and that also built like a TANK. But not the lower end Sachtlers.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads