Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM   #181
Inner Circle

Some tripods, usually available on better tripod, have a "ball type" mount.

This allows you to level the camera, without having to adjust the legs.

The ball mount can usually be separated from the tripod legs. The ball mount, usually called a "half ball" is the part that attaches to the bottom of your camera and sits in the bowl shaped top of your tripod legs.

Click on the link, near the bottom of this post, to see these items.

So, if you have a proper tripod with the "ball", separate the two parts and you should have what you need. Or buy the parts separately.

As you stated, these usually come in three sizes, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm, other sizes may be available.

A "Top Hat" is the name of a small device that has the "Bowl" and some short legs to mount to some other price, such as a piece of plywood, or a dolloy, etc.

Click on the following to see these items:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=3912

I would recommend staying away from the 75mm equipment unless you have a very light camera. 100mm is more common and supports more weight. 150mm is for heavy cameras, usually heavy film cameras.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #182
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot, it finally is clear to me, because i just did not know what is was missing. But it's that 'ball type mount'. (our tripod doesn't have that) Great, now I know what to look for.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #183
Trustee

For the record I use a sachtler dv8 which has a 75mm ball mount on my xl-h1 and it works great. I've also used it with the xlh1 and a mini 35 with no problems, any more weight then that though would probably be too much. Also the "top hat" is sometimes called (at least on the west coast) a "high hat" and there is a lower to the ground version called... wait for it.... a "low hat"
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:03 AM   #184
Inner Circle

Nick is correct, I should have said "High Hat".
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM   #185
Regular Crew

Tripod for XL1

Just bought a Manfrotto / Bogen 503 351mvb2 Kit tripod for my Canon XL1. Does anyone have any experience with this tripod??
Andrew Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #186
Tourist

XL1 Tripod

Like other noobies, I was looking for a sturdy tripod for the XL1 that wouldn't break the bank. I didn't see the Davis & Sanford ProVista 12 with F12 Fluid Head tripod mentioned in the older thread, and thought I'd pass along my experience. Bought one off eBay new for Christmas, and it's been great. Very sturdy, easy adjustments, smooth tracking. Of course, it's not a Bogen or Manfrotto, but it didn't cost $500 either. Bought mine for $125 delivered from 47th Street Photo via eBay.

Thought others might be interested in this tripod.
Attached Thumbnails
Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S-provista_12.jpg  
Greg Chabon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads