Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #91
Wrangler

Yeah but--it's all about the sub-rentals and the business deductions, baby! I only buy these horrifically expensive things to rent 'em back to to production (well, I admit the DV gear is more of a hobby. How pathetic is that--the guy shoots for a living and then shoots for a hobby. I gotta get a life!)

And if you REALLY want to talk outrageous pricetags--I was fairly close to picking up an Arrihead this year. For those unfamiliar, that's a brand of geared head with the handwheels you see on behind the scenes footage from features, etc. That little puppy would have set me back some $30K, oucharooni! Decided against that one...

The trick these days is to own gear that can work on with format, since the industry is being shaken up so badly by the digital cameras. No-one wants to invest in the HD cameras since they are so obviously going to be outdated in a heartbeat, and everyone's trying to sell off their older film rigs as their future is limited. But regardless of format, we'll always need to mount them on something to shoot--hence my attraction to heads, Steadicams, remote heads etc.

Way off subject. Sorry.

love,

Crazy Rich Bastard

p.s. whoops, don't even know what I own--it's the O'Connor 1030, not 1060 as I mentioned before. They also have a DV model that only costs $2500 (!)
Old May 9th, 2002, 09:13 PM   #92
Obstreperous Rex

Charles, we could give you a custom title of "Crazy Rich Bastard" to replace "Major Player" but it would violate my decency standards. The rich part, not the bastard.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 09:24 PM   #93
Major Player

Ken, Chris, Charles -

I think the term is "camera poor". Or more importantly in the next year, "rapidly depreciating camera rich".
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 10:51 PM   #94
Slash Rules!

above

Yes, well, I am all kinds of poor, so the less I spend right now the better. I am thinking in film (albeit highly independent and ones you may never ever ever ever see or even hear of) terms when I try to figure out my tripod setup. I would like at this point not to spend more than 500. When Tarentino gives me a call, then maybe I'll spend a little more.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 01:17 AM   #95
Outer Circle

Those of you thinking about purchasing a Miller, let me know. Firstly, I believe they are cheaper in Canada, and secondly, I can arrange a good price straight from the Canadian distributor. (That's because they love my business and the business I send their way.) My e-mail is: granit@imag.net (Vancouver).

Oh, and I don't take any "cuts." I'll just arrange things between them and you. (Frank, don't you have a life?)

One more thing..., Manfrotto products (Bogan in the US) are also cheaper up here. Yup. I can get you a deal on the 501 or 503 head, legs, etc, as well.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:15 AM   #96
Obstreperous Rex

Not to rain on your parade, Frank, but wouldn't the shipping charges from up there kind of negate any sort of lower price? I know that stuff going up to Canada is slammed hard, isn't it the same way coming down?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:25 AM   #97
Slash Rules!

above

Yeah, what he said. Other than that, let me know these sweet Canadian deals.
Old May 10th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #98
Outer Circle

Shipping costs are a tad more. Still, the Canadian distributer gets the Miller line directly from Australia and has a lower price structure than the US distributer. With Manfrotto it's the same scene. And, the distributer up here has high volume sales to the Vancouver film industry, so prices are not as bloated (as in the US). I just thought I'd throw you penny pinchers an option.
Old May 10th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #99
Slash Rules!

above

Well, I am a certified penny pincher, and would like to know your price on a 501 or 503 head based rig, from manfrotto/bogen
Old May 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #100
Outer Circle

Tell me exactly what you want, and I'll get you a price from Leo's Photo. If you don't know what you want, I'll suggest a set of legs and head. What video cam do you have?
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #101
Slash Rules!

above

Canon XL1s, good sir. I guess quote me a price on a bogen/manfrotto 503 head-based rig, and on a 501 head-based rig as well. I'm open to suggestions, as well. Keep in mind, I'm not ready to buy at this time, and may not be for some time. So please don't go through too much trouble.
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:15 PM   #102
Outer Circle

XL-1, okay. I would go for the 503 head. Your looking for legs too, right, when you say "rig."

You shouldn't consider the 501 for your cam.

I'll select some legs, then, and post you the price for each in a couple of days or so.
Old May 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM   #103
Slash Rules!

above

Well, someone above had said that the 501 suited them just fine. I 'll defer to your judgement however.
Yes I do mean legs and head when I say rig.

Since we're at it, do those lower Canada prices apply to all video equipment? I want to get the 16x manual lens for the XL1s. The lowest I've found it for here is $1500.
Old May 11th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #104
Outer Circle

Manfrotto and Miller products are usually cheaper, not lenses nor cams. We get shafted up here with cam prices and some US made products (like Porta-Brace).

The 501 head would be okay, but the 503 would be ideal.
Old May 11th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #105
Slash Rules!

Thanks anyway. Like I said, if you want, quote me price on a 503 head based tripod.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads