Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 9th, 2001, 08:08 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hey...when you've been stuck behind a desk staring at a monitor in a comatose state as long as I have...rain sounds pretty good.

Give us a shout if you make it to Korea...but coming to Korea from Japan for skiing? That's like leaving Las Vegas to go to Montana for some gambling. Not much here. Small resorts, short runs, snow usually man-made and packed, and LOTS of people.

But...it's worth it from an adventure point of view. Never a dull moment here.

P.S. Popped the book in the mail today. Enjoy!
Old November 9th, 2001, 08:33 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

As much as I've always intended to, I've never read "Rebel Without a Crew." And believe it or not, Rodriguez and I were at film school together at UT-Austin (never shared a class, met him one time only, in an elevator, after "Bedhead" showed at the student film screening).

So Adrian, when you're done reading that book, I'd like to see about getting you to send it my way. Then I'll mail it to some other Community member.

Let's each sign the inside front cover as it makes its journey... then when it finally gets back to John he'll have a record of the rounds it made. Maybe it'll have RR's autograph by that time!

Oh yeah, tripods... Ed Frazier, you're right, the 3251 *is* a bit long and a bit heavy. Definitely on both counts. But... stable, and best of all, automatic. I love it despite its size and weight.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 10:15 AM   #18

Great minds think alike, Chris!

I'm hoping the same thing...that the book will travel around the community board (and globe), and everyone sign the inside cover and send an e-mail to the previous readers.

Would be cool if Robert Rodriguez signed it, wouldn't it?

It really is inspirational to read how he bucked the system ("You have to pay your dues first," "You've got to start at the bottom," etc.) and just went out and made a movie. I watched "El Mariachi" a half dozen times after reading it, trying to figure out exactly how he shot the scenes with just one camera, and also to see if the sound was ever out of sync. Considering how he made the movie, it's something to respect.

I didn't care too much for the remake "Desperado" but I guess working with a Hollywood crew for the first time can be a bit overwhelming. In my opinion, his last couple of films really look good, and also retain his original style. Never have seen "Bedhead"...I'll have to check it out.

I'm also wondering if I met him one time at Pharmaco (ah...the things we do for money).
Old November 9th, 2001, 02:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Bogen 3251 Heavy

Hello Again Chris,

The 3251 arrived a couple of days ago and it is even longer and heavier than I had imagined. Fully extended with the 503 head, it is about 7'6". It is definately steady though and I don't regret the purchase at all. Thanks for the tip. Now all I need is the camera to put on top of it. Hopefully another day or two and it'll be here.

One question though; is it possible to balance the head with a VXPRO-LX attached and XL1 mounted? With my Sony TRV510 it was impossible to hold position without cranking the vertical tension REAL tight. I'm hoping the forward weight bias on the XL1 will help offset the weight of the Varizoom.

Ed
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 04:55 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

<< I'm hoping the forward weight bias on the XL1 will help offset the weight of the Varizoom. >>

Ed, this is EXACTLY what happens. Enjoy,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2001, 08:32 PM   #21
DIGIXLDV

HEY ,

HOW ABOUT THE MANFROTTO 3140 COMBO(3046 LEGS/3063HEAD)?
I HEARD IT'S VERY GOOD FOR DV.ANY OPINIONS?
THANKS.
Old November 24th, 2001, 04:42 AM   #22
Rich Terlaje

Since the new Manfrotto 540ART was mentioned, I thought I'd post a price - was considering one when I visited the Manfrotto website.

On B&H, it's selling for $1150, but is currently listed as a out-of-stock, special-order item.
Old January 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

looking for a good field tripod for XL1s

I am going to user a tridpod for field shots.
Someone recommend Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN (6.2 lbs)with 503 head, or 3445 Carbon fiber (3.8 lbs).
3445 is 2.4 lbs lighter and $200 more.

Do you think it is worth to buy 3445.

Do you know any good dealer?

If you have any other recommendation for the field tridpod,
please let me know.
Steve Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:50 AM   #24
Trustee

I use the Carbon Fibre sticks with a 501 head. As a field setup it is great. I do a lot of backcountry hiking in the snow so weigh is a big factor for me.

The carbon fibre sticks are light and rigid and provide a stable platform for the head and the XL1.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 03:53 AM   #25
RED Code Chef

Adrian,

You did a lot of snow (and snowboarding) shooting, right?
I have some questions on this... How do you transport
your XL1 when your hiking? You use any rain or scuba
bags to protect your cam from cold, snow and other
things? Any filters you use in the snow?

Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 04:22 AM   #26
Greenday Digital

G'day from WA

Well I recently purchased a Miller DS-10 system. This came with 832 adjustable carbon legs (three section), adjustable spreaders and a fluid head. The head is well balanced and counter balanced for use with MA-200 and battery pack. I have used it on the slopes and rocky outcrops and it is very stable. This tripod system was built and designed for the XL1.

It cost $2132.00 Aus

Although I only have one gripe and that is with the remote controller ZR-1000 that plugs into the LANC. Canon need to make sure that the screws that bolt the plate onto the controller that goes around the fluid head handle a little longer. This is due to the fact that I have a wide tube handle.

Hope this helps in your price decision.

cheers

Greenday
Old January 8th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #27

Rob,

FWIW, Porta Brace makes an interesting backpack for the XL1 and similar cams. Honestly, I've never tried one out but am tempted to do so. I do, however, have several other PortaBrace products which are all of outstanding quality and design.

You can find this at:

http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=HV

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Porta Brace Hiker pro

Just bought a Porta Brace Hiker Pro for my XL1s. Great case like all Porta Brace products quality in and out, plenty of gaget room and comfortable to wear. I would feel comfortable hiking anywhere with this case and camera well sealed and rigid enough to protect valuable contents. It has additional d rings to lash on tripod or other gear as well to the exterior. Interior has velcro tie down strap for camera and comes with padded divider material for building compartments in extra room in case. 3 zippered storage on exterior 1 long for microphone and 1 large and 1 medium for batteries, chargers and stock. It is easily used as a carry bag with strong handles on top and side.

Jerry
Jerry Bixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #29

Shame On You, Jerry...

...As former (U.S.) President Carter might have said, "You've put lust in mah heart."

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2002, 12:08 PM   #30
Regular Crew

btw the case i described is the hkp-3 not the L model also shown on the web site Ken detailed.

Jerry

P.S. Ken mine was $250 from ZGC Model number for XL1s is HKP-2 on my invoice.
Jerry Bixman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads