Velbon Videomate 607 = good tripod for beginner? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Velbon Videomate 607 = good tripod for beginner?

I have ordered one of these because of it's low price and cheapness. I was wondering if this is tripod for the GL2 and for beginner style of shooting? I will probably get a better one as time follows and I increase my noviceness. :-)
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #2
Outer Circle

The new Velbons I've seen are made of cheap plastic and are not sturdy. Also the heads are from from being smooth. Nevertheless, if you use it carefully, it should work just fine---as long as you're careful with panning and tilting.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

When you say not sturdy, do you mean that they aren't good supporters like they could easily fall down causing damage to the camcorder?
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Outer Circle

The legs wobble, and it may easily get knocked over, in my opinion.
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmm... I was new to the tripod business, but now as I learn more, I may have made a mistake on the purchase. I can still probably return the order. I bought the tripod for about $80 and since it was cheap and "felt" smooth, I just made the purchase along with the camcorder. But now as I learn that the tripod is a "2-way fluid head system"... I might want to get a 3-way tripod.... I am assuming that 2-way means left and right, 3-way means left, right, and up which could be useful for some shots.
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Trustee

No, two way means pan (left and right) and tilt (up and down) which is usually what we need for video. 3 way add something like a roll movement (don't know what is the right wording for it) in which the camera end on the side. I think that the 3 way system are mostly made for still camera.
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Hmm... I have no idea if the Videomate 607 has the tilt or not, but definately has the two-way pan. Now, I've seen other Velbon tripods too. It seems there is a "Videomate" series which is more low-consumer, and then there are some other Velbon tripods which do not have the Videomate series ..anyone know the difference or have other comments/suggestions?
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I would just keep it and make due with it until you feel you need something better. I found an old metal Velbon beside the garbage out back a few years ago, and it served me well. Once I upgraded, I put it back (beside the garbage bin) and someone snatched it right away---and probably happier than a hog in the mud (like I was when I found it). :-))
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Major Player

OK. It appears that this tripod DOES infact have a tilt, which provides up and down leverage along with the 2-way pan, I should be fine, I guess unless I feel that this tripod is inadequate...
Old January 20th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #10
Major Player

Does anyone know any good stores where I can find/test out different tripods? I live in Oregon and there aren't very many good camera/video consumer stores that provide a good selection. I've tried Camera World, Fry's, and Magnolia Hi-Fi... and it seems that Camera World only carries Bogen tripods, no other brands like Libec, etc... I want to test out the Libec M20s and other which are supposedly best for the "GL2." I am probably going to return the Velbon due to the fact of the bad reviews I've read and its poor quality -- and could possibly leak/break or something...
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Nothing wrong with a good Manfrotto (Bog---).
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #12
Major Player

Anyone else ever try this tripod? I really want to hear some good/bad experiences or reviews before I do anything crazy like sell it for another. :-)

I've used it and I don't know how it compares to others as this is the first tripod I ever have used. :)
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #13
Major Player

The 607 was my first tripod. There really isn't anything wrong with it. The worst part about the Velbon is that people see you using a "Velbon" and will count you as an amature. I still use mine however for extra stationary cams. Eventually, you will want to upgrade to lets say a Bogen 503 head and sticks. I have the libec you spoke of and while it is more sturdy, the velbon actualy has smoother pans and tilts than the libec. The libec has the advantage of looking cooler and it has a ball leveler which is really a big advantage, and it is counter weighted so that if you leave you cam unattended and the screws aren't tight on the tilt the cam doesnt fall forward. Right now I am considering purchasing this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272984&is=REG

or this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=179036&is=REG

Can't decide if the extra $200 is worth it for the Miller. The Miller one stage pod looks kinda scrawny compared to that particular 2 stage bogen.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm getting my $250 rebate from Canon for the GL2 pretty soon (next weeks or so) and I might want to sell some Canon accessories and the tripod and get another one... :/

And about the sturdiness, that's one of my big issues -- I just don't want the camera to fall over or get knocked over easily or anything like that.
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

David,

I am interested in your Canon accessories, depending on what you have. I purchased an XL-1S in December, and am about to buy the GL2. I am struggling with whether to buy the GL2 next week, or wait until after April to see what Canon introduces at the show. The problem with waiting, Canon's $250 rebate expires in March. Note that Canon extended the XL-1S rebate, however.

I keep reading poor low light performance reports compared with Sony. Any advice is appreciated.

Regarding accessories, I am ready to buy additional 945 batteries, the dual battery holder, a tripod, a monopod, etc.
John C Heid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads