Head shopping... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Head shopping...

I’m shopping for a tripod head for my EX1. No add-ons; as it came out of the box.

Thanks everyone, for your input. Looks like:

Sachtler FSB-6

Gitzo 1380

Vinten Vision 3 AS

Have I got that right, do you think? Am I missing something?

The Sachtler FSB-6 seems popular in this community.

And if I sprung for the ridiculous dollar amount and went for a Crème de la Crème O’Connor; what would the difference be?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

john,

I use a vinten vison 6 and a gitzo 1380 both on my xl2, xlh1 or my gl2.

the gitzo is a pretty darn smooth tripod head. i got it with legs so I could get real low to the ground. I have also used it with my large lenses and rail which all weighs in at 22 lbs. it will do the job but seems better when not fully loaded. Of course this one you have to change springs if you change weights. Generally I keep it set to just use with the standard lens and close up lenses.

for the heavy stuff i purchased the vintin vision 6. It does the job with the big loads real well as well as the 8 lb standard camera.

I think the build quality of the vintin is nicer, but the gitzo is probably one of the most under rated tripods in my book.

I did a lot of searching and research before i purchased.

I suspect there would not be a lot of difference between the gitzo 1380 and the VV 3, both you have to change the springs.

the gitzo pan and tilt locks wrok fine but i am not fond of the placement of them. Also, I shoot in the cold and the level fluid vanished after a day of shooting in the cold, I suspect it froze. I really like the illuminated level in the vinten!!

I am sure you would be very pleased with either vinton or gitzo.

Oh yea, with the gitzo they give you a complete set of springs!!! do not charge you 40 dollars for a 3 dollar spring.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks for that Dale. First hand user experience is very valuable. Seems to me that the Gitzo 1380, the Sachtler FSB 6 or the Vinten Vision 3 would all do the job, much of a muchness.

I’ve just re-read Chris Soucy’s (a fellow Canadian Kiwi) review of the new Vinten 3 AS (he tells me notwithstanding his comments about COG problems this new head would be perfect for the EX1) and in as much as it is also in the price range it just might be the winner. And no springs to contend with. Other than Chris’s ‘highly recommended’ (putting words in his mouth) for the EX1 there is not a lot of user experience reports out there yet. But Chris tells us the new 3 AS is a serious improvement versus the 3 so that’s good enough for me.

The Gitzo also came highly recommended from another colleague and I was sorely tempted to go with that, even to the point of emailing the New Zealand distributor for a price. No reply. So I’m thinking the Vinten Vision 3 AS is it. And besides, if it turns out to be a piece of crap then it is but a short drive to Dunedin where I might demonstrate another use for the head with Chris, in person!

I shall report later, one way or the other.

Again, many thanks for your comments Dale.

Cheers…
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi guys.......

John should be getting my e - mail offering him a test drive of the review Vinten Vision 3 AS, any time now.

If there are any other DVinfo'ers in the South Island who'd like a play (with the V3 AS!) with a view to buying (er, one, not it, it ain't for sale!), just whizz me a mail and I'll see what I can do.

Heck, if you're prepared to stump the freight you can even have a go in the North Island.

As long as it eventually arrives back in sunny/ soggy Fairfield in one piece, at some point down the track, I'll be happy.

Just bear in mind what I said in the review, anything smaller/ lighter/ lower than say, a Sony EX1, really won't be able to make use if it untill/ unless Vinten bring out a lower spring rated model.

It will be interesting to get other feedback on it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Major Player

...and you should be getting my reply wherein I state: holy smoke; are you serious? Count me in.

I am heading into the mountains and having that along, for a test-drive, is soo appreciated, so cool...
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads