Luggage Handlers broke my tripod! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Luggage Handlers broke my tripod!

Okay gang, valuable lesson learned. I got back from a flight to Houston in November, and started cutting on the documentary. Never unpacked my tripod, which was in a large "soft" bag. Went to unpack it today, and found that the luggage handlers had sheared off the tilt lock knob, and bent the pan lock knob!

I have a monfrotto 316 head. The threaded shafts are appx 5/8 in or 10mm long.

Anybody know who carries replacements?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Major Player

i don't know where you can repair it but most probably replacing it with new part would be better. couple of years back, when i was still freelancing, have a vinten 5 leg broken in same situation. luck for us, we did a equipment check in the airport it self and we make a claim for the damage. we got couple of hundred from it but still need to fork out the balance for the part replaced.
now we only fly our equipment in hard casing. we still check our equipment when we land.
good luck.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The parts I need are just threaded screws with the thumb plates attached. They screw into the head to lock down the pan and tilt mechanisms. If I can find someone who supplies them, I'm sure they wouldn't be more that ten bucks or so each.

Still looking...
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:26 AM   #4
Manfrotto Product Manager

Contact Bogen Imaging at 201-818-9500 and ask to be connected to the parts department. As Bogen is the Manfrotto importer and official US repair facility they will be able to sell you the pieces you need.

You can also obtain information at www.bogenimaging.us

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Marc,

That did the trick! Just talked with Lisa in parts, and they're on the way. About 15 bucks apiece.
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for this timely post. I noticed that the plate my quick release slides into was cracked while in HI. Need to order a part too.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Major Player

This is almost a VERBATIM thread as one I started about light stands last spring... down to the "lesson learned".

If anybody reading this has a really pricey tripod then pack your HEAD in your carry-on and put those legs in a HARD CASE. Your best bet when travelling with large and heavy gear like this is to send it UPS or FedEx and have it at the hotel when you get there.

Otherwise get a hard-side bag made to transport golf clubs and work out some serious interior padding so that case can be kicked, dropped, and thrown... 'cause that's EXACTLY how your luggage will be handled!
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads