Can't install extension legs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't install extension legs

I have a Bogen 3046 tripod. I ordered some extension legs from B&H. However, I can't figure out how to install them. The legs come without clips, so you have to use the clips from the legs that came with the 3046. However, there is no way to get them off the existing legs because:
a) there is a plastic locking cover that prevents you from loosening the leg locking clip. I could probably get the plastic cover off with an ice pick or other such sharp instrument, but it would get destroyed in the process.
b) even if I got off the little plastic cover that hides the clip nut, I still can't get the orginal legs out of the clip because the original legs have a raised section at the top that prevents them from going through the clip when you extend them. You would have to pry open the clip a very long way to get the orginal legs out. I would be afraid that the clips would snap before expanding this much, as they are made of a very stiff plastic. I think Bogen originally slipped the clips onto the leg from the other end before they put the rubber spike foot in place, and then mangled the threads so you can't get the rubber foot off. The rubber foot is too large to go through the clip, so you now can't slide the clip off this end either.

The net result is that I don't think I can get the clips off without actually cutting the existing legs with a hack saw. This seems like a terrible thing to do as it would make the original legs unusable if I ever wanted to switch out the extension legs. The alternative would be to buy 3 new clips, which seems ridiculously expensive just to extend my tripod by 18".

Has anyone ever done this? Will the legs come out of the clips by bending them open? Will the clips break? Is there any tricky way to get the plastic cap off the locking screw without destroying it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Never mind the prior post. I just figured out that I my tripod is a 3036, and not a 3046. The extension legs aren't designed to fit this tripod. This explains why it isn't easy to retrofit them. However, I might be able to make them work by cutting off the old legs. Has anyone ever done this with a 3036? Is there any other way to increase the height of this tripod?
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Manfrotto Product Manager

Alan:

As you determined there are no accessory extension legs for your tripod. Having said that I can pass a solution on to you that I would not recommend, but will provide you with an extra 2 feet. Manfrotto has a column extension (US code 3059, attaches to tripod column with adapter code 3154) that literally screws onto the column platform. I don't recommend this solution because you now have a 4 foot post that supports your camera (column plus column extension), which essentailly acts as a pendulum magnifying the vibrations. If you have no or limited camera movement this accessory might work...

For the future you can always obtain parts diagrams for all Manfrotto / Bogen products from the manfrotto.com website (click on 'restricted area' link on top of home page, then click on 'spare parts').

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads