best Tripod for Sony V1 or FX7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Regular Crew

New for me

This discussion shamed me into getting a better tripod, so I looked on craigslist for a used rig....well I found a Bogen 3021 silver legged tripod. Asking $100 I gave him $80, threaded on my 3160 fluid head and I now have a solid base for my V1U !! Its a heck of an upgrade for me, I should chuck that other thing I've got in the trash. What a difference ...wow ! Thanks guys, now I need a leveler...
Garry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Sachtler Soom is the best tripod in my opinion for HDV cameras. It costs nearly $3k, but it is everything that you would want a tripod to be.
Sachtler | 0480 FSB-6 with Soom and Tri-Spreader | 0480 | B&H
I had the opportunity to shoot a few shots with a HPX170 mounted to one of these a few weeks back. I have this to say: Super smooth.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #18
Major Player

As Les stated, the 501 and the 503 are not up to the task for HD shooting. Please re-consider your choices, and look at a Sachtler FSB-4 or FSB-6 fluid head. There is no comparison at all, the the results will be painfully obvious in your final footage.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #19
Major Player

Which Tripod to buy

Hi all,

Thanks for the great replies. I gave up looking for a new tripod for awhile. One comment, my tripod I am using now for the cost works ok. I never felt it was going to break at least. It has the center column Y brace that adds a lot to the stability. I would never leave my camera on the tripod out doors and walk away from it as I don't trust this tripod that much. In doors not as much of a problem if someone does not knock it over. Because the head is made for a 35mm still camera I have to lock the head down pretty tight to keep the camera from swinging forward, if that is the correct terminology. I had a chance to try at the local camera store a Bogan 503 and 701, or was it the 501 which ever the bigger head size is. These seem OK but slow when it comes to panning. Am I right? There is no adjustment to change the speed. Some times I am taking video that need a slow but fluid movement and other times while taking tennis videos sitting next to the court I seed a fast pan to keep up with the action. My current tripod works pretty good for this type of motion although I have never used anything better. I am not arguing with the people that say to get a really good tripod I just don't know what that is and spending 2-3K on one with out that knowledge is hard for me to do. That's why I might eventually get a little bit cheeper tripod for now even if that means I will be getting a better one latter. I am glad I got to use an VHS-C video camera for a while before investing in the FX7. This allowed for a better purchase as to what I really needed and didn't need. I wish there were local places where I can try out tripods before I buy like buying a tennis racquet. I never buy a tennis racquet without trying at test 10 different ones first. The rental fee is only about $10 us and some places will even put that money towards the purchase of the racquet. Tennis racquets are upwards of $240 us. I do agree that I have a hard time leveling the legs on my current tripod and it takes a long time. It would be nice to have a bowl system, if that is the correct term, for this but I could probably go without it if I needed to.

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
As Les stated, the 501 and the 503 are not up to the task for HD shooting. Please re-consider your choices, and look at a Sachtler FSB-4 or FSB-6 fluid head. There is no comparison at all, the the results will be painfully obvious in your final footage.
I would have to respectfully disagree. I bought both the Sachtler FSB6 and the 503HDV at the same time with the FSB6 costing about three times the 503HDV. My thought was that I would use the more expensive tripod most of the time.

However I had bought the 503HDV with a Bogen Manfrotto tripod with the center column crank and the FSB6 with just a regular Satchtler tripod (I forget the model numbers)

Since I am mostly filming weddings and smal music venues it turns out the 503HDV on the tripod that cranks up high over peoples heads is the setup I use most.

I do agree that the FSB6 is a better head and a tad smoother but I get excellent results with the 503HDV.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #21
Major Player

New Tripod

How do you find the speed of the 503 head? I guess it all depends on the type of video you are shooting. I have never done any Wedding video but it seems like you would not need a very fast panning head for that type of work just a very smooth pan.

John Gerard
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #22
Inner Circle

It's been a while since anyone responded, so I'll jump in.

I'm not an expert, nor a high-level pro like many of the other shooters here, but I have to say both the Manfrotto 503 and the 503HDV work just fine for me, for what they are and what they cost. I never have a problem achieving very smooth pans and tilts with either, as fast or as slow as I want.

Would I love to be able to afford four $2,000 heads for the multicam work we do? Sure. There's no doubt in my mind that the Vintens and Sachtlers and other heads costing as much as a car are better, and probably much better. But for the price, I think the Manfrottos are very good values and they perform -- at least for me -- as advertised. I get a little annoyed when people compare a $350 head to a head costing three or five or ten times as much and say the cheaper one is crap. I shoot exclusively HDV on Z5s and I've never had a problem with the heads that wasn't due to operator error (aka me being a clumsy idiot and hitting the cam with my elbow).

By the way, John, love the photos. How did you get the tripod to stick to the wall like that?
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #23
Major Player

Many other voices besides mine state that the 503 and 503 HDV are not suitable for HD footage. Regarding height, the Sachtler Soom system addresses this issue.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Major Player

Tripod Advice

Hi,

Thanks for the extra information/ thoughts. I am not sure what you are referring to about the photos unless you are just kidding. All I did was to place the tripods in front of a white wall and take some stills. I was able to do this with some other items and them cut them out of the background using Photoshop to use in my custom DVD menus.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
It's been a while since anyone responded, so I'll jump in.

I'm not an expert, nor a high-level pro like many of the other shooters here, but I have to say both the Manfrotto 503 and the 503HDV work just fine for me, for what they are and what they cost. I never have a problem achieving very smooth pans and tilts with either, as fast or as slow as I want.

Would I love to be able to afford four $2,000 heads for the multicam work we do? Sure. There's no doubt in my mind that the Vintens and Sachtlers and other heads costing as much as a car are better, and probably much better. But for the price, I think the Manfrottos are very good values and they perform -- at least for me -- as advertised. I get a little annoyed when people compare a $350 head to a head costing three or five or ten times as much and say the cheaper one is crap. I shoot exclusively HDV on Z5s and I've never had a problem with the heads that wasn't due to operator error (aka me being a clumsy idiot and hitting the cam with my elbow).

By the way, John, love the photos. How did you get the tripod to stick to the wall like that?
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Yes, it was a joke. The photos are all sideways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads