Monfrotto Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Monfrotto Tripod

Hey Ken, do you or anybody else have any experience using a Monfrotto 116 mk2? I purchased a head (was supposed to be a 3066) and they sent me the 116 mk2. I love it, it's huge! But, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me anythng about it. Should I sell it or keep it? I'm using Sony PD-150's, VX-2000's,170's,2100 and will be using FX1's. I originally was going to buy a 503 head, but thought that this would be a step up from the 503.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

You can compare the specs on their website to see if it is good
enough for your camera (max weight etc.). If it is a fluid head (I
didn't check) and it works great for you then all should be ok!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Rob,
I checked the web site and can't really tell. That's why I was looking for someone with actuall hands on experience.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Anyone?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Manfrotto Product Manager

The 3066 and the 116MK3 is the same head, Bogen Imaging USA used the 3066 coding, while the rest of the world used the 116. Since discontinued and now replaced with the 516 (same number worldwide)

The head is a heavy-duty fluid head that will take loads up to 22lbs. If it works for your cameras and you like the feel, then you have purchased your perfect head. Not sure what specific questions you have about the head, but if something comes to mind post it and I'll try to respond in a timely manner.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow!

Wow Rob, you have a lot of pull. Wasn't expecting a reply from Manfrotto, thanks Marc. Marc you said that the 3066 and the 116MK3 are the same head. What about the 116Mk2?
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Manfrotto Product Manager

The 116MK2 is an earlier generation head (maybe over 7 years old...). The 116MK2 was replaced by the 116MK3.

Usual upgrades to heads are done internally through changes in fluid technology and in the case of the MK3, the body shape changed slightly from the MK2. New locking knobs replaced the older-style (and much bulkier) lock-off handles for tilt.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Manfrotto website unlear on 116mk3 features

The website for this head does not say if it has adjustable drag for pan and tilt. It's replacement (516) has photos and explanation of the drag controls but the 116mk3 page is devoid of this and the features are not listed in the feature list. Does this head have variable drag controls like the 516?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #9
Trustee

I have the original Manfrotto 116 head, which I think is even bigger than the latest MKIII version. It is massive, built like a tank and all metal - absolutely superb!

I've also fitted two new black Manfrotto extending/adjustable pan arms, and a large quick-release plate. The plate itself has interlocking jaws so that you can slide and then quickly lock the camera into different positions for better balance. Even the camera itself can be placed at varying positions on the main quick release plate, via movable screw fittings. It also has a built in spirit level. The 116 head is sturdy enough to take ANY size still/video/movie camera and lens combination. The Pan and Tilt are easily adjustable, and extremely smooth.

I also have the equally large Manfrotto 117 legs that go with it, that extend to about 7ft with geared column up, and supports about 18kg (40lb). The legs are built to industrial standards, very solid, with added second spirit level. The centre column is geared, with a fast-release lever for quick lowering. The legs may extend to the heavens when needed, but they also spread wide enough for ultra-low level shooting at ground level.
However, I find the legs far too bulky and heavy for most of my travel, especially by air, so I will soon replace the legs for shorter ones that are still sturdy, but more compact and lightweight when folded.

Note that ALL Manfrotto/Bogen heads and legs will fit each other. For example, the 116 (the largest head in the Manfrotto range) will even fit my compact & lightweight Manfrotto 190 NAT legs (wildlife photographer model), which saves me hanging a sandbag from the tripod for added stability when using SLR extreme telephoto lenses on my XL1s!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads