Replacing my 503hdv - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Major Player

While were on the subject :-)
what would a person do if they wanted to Keep thier Flat head Bogen legs And definatly wanted to keep the COLUMN , and say they didnt even like the usual professional type of tripods for various reasons, especially not thier versions of columns at thier versions of prices.
is there a Sure and non Kludgey way to get a Vinten or shatler popped on top of bogen sticks with flat heads, and still maintain all the functions of the bogen sticks.

I think colums are great for many things, like bodying up to the tripod to run "hand-Held" on the tripod without the tripods top in the way, plus they can be easily adjusted without dropping, sliding, and other stuff that makes that leg style easier to work with in bad situations.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Marty.................

Think this works for Sachtler heads, but won't work for a Vinten, wrong type of bolt.

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 325N - ADATTATORE PER SFERA

CS

PS: Adattatore per Sfera = adapter for ball (courtesy Google translate)

Last edited by Chris Soucy; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #18
Major Player

thanks that is what i needed to know.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #19
New Boot

Vinten Help

So I got the Vinten 3AS - Fantastic head, amazingly smooth and alot of drag/tilt variation! As expected my Z5 when stripped down at 5 1/2 lbs only balances to around 1/3 tilt. When loaded up(6.5-7 lbs) it balances perfect. Can anyone tell me (Peter Harman?) If I can change the spring by myself to minimal and how? I really like this head and don't really want to switch to the Sachtler but I'd like to get alot closer to perfect balance in the 5.5-6 lb range
Rich Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Trustee

Rich, i've got the 3AS head, i too had a problem balancing my EX1, it was too light for the head, but after changing to a lighter spring it's perfect.
I've now got a big range of adjustment on one spring from too light all the way to too hard for my EX1.
Ther spring change is very easy but i don't want to post instructions on here for fear of upsetting Vinten.
The spring change is not meant to be user changeable but all i will say is that it takes about 30 secs and needs one tool, a tool which 99% of us have.

Paul.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #21
New Boot

Thanks for the email & instructions Paul. Vinten is sending me the replacement spring. Peter says all new heads are coming out like this. I backed the tension off the existing spring 2 turns and the camera balances close to perfect already. Still 5 turns left to no tension and several more to take the screw out. This head REALLY is very good and so is custormer support. Price can't be beat though I did see that B&H just bumped up pricing on several heads and sticks, satchler too
Rich Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #22
Trustee

Glad to have helped Rich.

Paul.
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Good evening,

A couple thoughts:

Even with the right spring sometimes you still need some extra weight to make it better. I have three weights I made out of 1 inch steel plate. I just pick the one that makes things close to perfect as possible and attach it under the camera. Works great and it really helps in the wind!! With my vv6 I always add a weight when I use a camera rig smaller than 8 pounds. It also makes for smoother movements.

Dale

Edit: Oh yea, I also use 525 legs and they are great.
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Steven, get a Vinten Vision 3AS, it fits on the 525 legs perfectly.
I ditched my 503hdv head cos it's crap and fitted a vision 3 as head, it is so much better.
I can't recommend the vinten head enough.
I have to say that the manfrotto 525 legs aren't that bad, not any wind up that i've noticed.

Paul.
Hey Paul and all, (yeah yeah, it rhymes)

Since I got the kit, I've been trying hard to find a 3" wheeled dolly that would work with the spiked feet, and I've come up empty. I am going to try and return the tripod find one that has round feet. I'm a tad annoyed because I called Bogen tech support as well as BH three times asking them what I needed. Bogen told me to order the Bogen 181 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553957-REG/Manfrotto_181_181_Folding_Auto_Dolly.html so I did. Well, I have to return it because it doesn't work. So now I have to find a tripod with round feet that will work with this head. Drat huh?
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Er, Steven..........

Take the booties off the tripod - the spikes are designed to go into the receptors on the dolly arm ends, then the rubber thong is pulled up over the back of the foot to clamp it.

My FiberTecs' fit all my Manfrotto stuff.

They didn't give you a bum steer after all, the 181 is designed to be used with double spiked feet but also work quite happily with Vintens single spike feet.

If the dolly you have cannot take spiked feet, it can't be a 181.

CS
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Inner Circle

The End

Well, the people at Vinten are great. I kept the Vinten 3as head. I wasn't so successful with the sticks. I loved the fiber stick that come with the kit but I never could get a 3inch wheeled dolly to work with the dual spiked sticks. And trust me, it was a journey. I even called Bogen asking them what would work, they gave me wrong information that cost me shipping back to BH.

So what I ended up with was http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556157-REG/Manfrotto_535_535_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html sticks with the 3as head. The kicker for the sticks was I already have a dolly that takes single spiked feet.

Man was this a journey. The End.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Well, it's not quite the end, is it?

What about the part where you tell us how you wish the Manfrotto was as light, sturdy, and awesome as the Vinten, aside from the spiked feet problem.

Or maybe the story ends with "why would anybody pay so much more for the Vinten when the Manfrotto is every bit as good."

Or maybe you have another ending in mind. :)
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #28
Inner Circle

""Well, it's not quite the end, is it?

What about the part where you tell us how you wish the Manfrotto was as light, sturdy, and awesome as the Vinten, aside from the spiked feet problem.

Or maybe the story ends with "why would anybody pay so much more for the Vinten when the Manfrotto is every bit as good."

Or maybe you have another ending in mind. :) "

Well, the dolly is huge for me, it's an integral part of my setup. I'll admit, the sticks and head look odd. The Vinten sticks I didn't keep are far superior to these Bogen sticks. What can I say. It was the best end I could find.
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Er, Steven...............

You've completely lost me with this dolly thing.

The Vinten sticks have/ had double/ single spiked feet?

You already had a dolly that took spiked feet?

You ordered another dolly which takes single/ double spiked feet and sent it back?

So, you have yet another dolly that only takes round based tripod legs and not spikes?

Yes, your new Manfrotto 'pod has round based legs, I still can't square this particular circle.

Why wouldn't the Vinten sticks fit the dolly you already had that was for single/ double spiked feet?

Confused, NZ.

CS
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks. I can totally appreciate that. Good to hear that the Vinten sticks really are superior. Too bad they didn't do the job for you though. Sometimes we want the Ferrari, but can get the job done better with a pickup truck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads