help pls with new Libec T68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
New Boot

help pls with new Libec T68

I just purchased this tripod package at B&H but the upper leg locks don't seem to hold.

I am using it with a new Sony AX2000 which I believe weights 5lb. This is way too annoying, well, the thing is unusable really, so I am guessing I must be doing something wrong, given my lack of expertise with tripods. On the other hand a tripod is a tripod, they are not that complicated after all. could it be defective ?

Any help, much appreciated. there is no support area on Libec web pages.
Giovanni Pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Giovanni, you're right, tripod is a tripod, if two out of three legs are OK, and only one is giving up, means this is not a user problem :)
my Manfrotto had the same problem, under the load one leg was slowly sliding, got it replaced, and that's exactly what you should do too,
best
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #3
New Boot

thank you much. This is soooo bad.
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah sounds like a defect. I own a similar tripod (Libec T72) and it has no problems holding up my Sony Z5 which is about the same weight as yours.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #5
New Boot

Not so good as a first experience with thus company.

Should I go with a different one hopefully more reliable ?

I have had a unexpensive Manfrotto for years and it still works great!
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #6
New Boot

With 3 locks out 3 not working properly, I mean just not working really, I reached my only conclusion. Forget Libec man. It's only by chance that my camera did not just crash to the ground.

The good news is that as a result I went back to Manfrotto, which I realize I like much better, personally, in terms of build and style. I purchased the cf 535 with 503 head. Smooth guys.

Now, forget the part where I unpack it at home and find it seriously damaged !!! I mean as if someone took a hammer and smashed one of the big knobs. Unusable ! This time I asked B&H to send me a new one and ship the bad one back (all free of charge) even though my credit card will only be credited when they get it.

Fact is that I am in love with the Manfrotto tripod so overall I am happy things did not work out with Libec !
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As a guy that owns 2 Manfrotto tripod/leg assemblies, I can tell you that you had better make SURE you adjust the friction Allen Screw routinely to ensure your legs will stay extended. On the back side of each leg lock, there is an Allen screw and Manfrotto supplies an Allen key IN A HOLDER with their tripod legs for a reason. Perhaps the Libec required adjustment as well?

I push down on my tripods to test the lock EVERY TIME I set them up JUST to make sure my camera(s) doesn't/don't come tumbling down.
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #8
New Boot

ah ! thx man, now I finally know what that Allen key is for :)
That is for my old Manfrotto. And I did notice one on the new one too.

I tell you though, I have had the Manfrotto for many year now and I have never even suspected those log legs being lose. The mechanism is different from the Libec I had purchased in my view much more prone to such problems.

On the Libec by the way it is certainly that type of issue (not that I know whether it was merely a matter of tightening things). However, I could not even find a place around the leg lock where, was there an Allen key around, I could have used it. My Libec experience is pretty much horror. And it's ugly man !
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Giovanni, sorry to hear that you had a bad experiance with your first Libec tripod. It sounds to me that the tripod was probably damaged during shipping. I can tell you from my personal experiance's with Libec that they are actually a great company to work with. I can guarantee you that if you had contacted Libec directly with your concerns, they would have addressed the issue promptly! Their customer service is noteably one of the best in our industry. I deal with literally hundreds of manufactures as a re-seller and over the past 8 - 9 years I have been selling Libec, their service and support has been spectacular. Concerning the quality of their product, I put them up against Bogen tripods quite often and in my own opinion (as well as alot of happy customers I have sold product to), Libec wins every time. Heck, their new RS series now compete's with Sachtler, Miller, Vinten and Cartoni! I know that you purchased a Bogen which you seem to like for replacement, however I just wanted to mention that you really shouldn't count Libec out for any future purchases. Their price is very competitive in the market, quality of product compareable and in alot of cases better than other's, and as I mentioned, customer support is outstanding.

Updated information since I posted is that Libec did evidently respond to you concerning your order and were willing for you to send it in to them to verify what was wrong with your T68 sticks. I believe they offered to repair and or replace them as necessary. However, they can not provide a credit back as you have to go through the dealer you purchased the product from, in this case BH Photo. Of course they also can not just ship out a brand new replacement without first inspecting and verifying that there is a problem. When any of my clients receive damaged product out of box, I make sure they receive a replacement as soon as possible. The damaged product has to come back to me and then I obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number from the manufacture. This way the customer is taken care first and then I handle the return on the back end. This is sounding to me like Libec's customer support was doing all they could to assist you without going through the vendor you purchased the product from. I also would like to point out that Libec provides a 3-Year Warranty on their product! So even if you would have had an issue with the sticks 2.5 years down the road, they would still be there to replace any defects! All you have to do is contact your dealer or Libec directly for repair or replacement!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser

Last edited by Scott Cantrell; April 13th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

I would like to add that you purchased the T68 sticks which generally ship with the Libec LS22 systems. Comparing the T68 to the Bogen CF535 is not even a fare comparison. Your system would have been better off with Libec's T72 sticks and the H38 head, otherwise known as Libec's LS38 systems. That would be a closer comparison to the 503 system with the CF535 sticks you purchased. The LS22 series can be compared to Bogen's 501 systems, both of wich I consider be entry level tripod systems. The only advantage of going with the Bogen CF535 over the Libec T72 sticks is that the Bogen is made out of carbon fiber which if spending extra to loose 1/2 to maybe 1 lb of weight on the system is important, then I can understand. It really depends on application.

Last edited by Scott Cantrell; April 13th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #11
New Boot

Scott, I appreciate the considerable effort on behalf of Libec.

I would not disagree with the rationale of such considerations of yours. I was well aware of acting a bit impulsively, I usually don't with companies I am familiar with. I just was not familiar with Libec.

May be I will give them another try for my next tripod. It is true that they proved extremely serious with customer service, and I was pleased. However, I cannot help some concern with regards to their quality control. I am quite certain that I would have had a different reaction had it just been one lose leg lock. But three ?

I would like to add, B&H Photo has also proven extremely serious. Nowadays, that is always a relief.
Giovanni Pietro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads